Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:33 pm 
T25

Car: S13 Silvia
Although i havent been posting much around here, im still lurking! Warning to all, these cars are nothing special compared to whats on these forums!

As a couple may recall, last time i popped in here, i had a S13 with a SR20DE with a couple small ricey mods. here it is pictured below:

I bought it with only a few known of issues, and had to replace a few bits and peices here and there. As it was previously DE+T, it still had the 3in exhaust, FMIC piping that was bodged up to fit a pod filter, and other small issues such as an oil leak from where they blocked off the oil return line into the sump. Had a 2.25in exhaust fitted, along with a new cat and supercat cannon (i still like the cannon look), some shitty alloy piping for the pod (which improved the driveability tenfold) and fixed up the oil leak.

Shortly after spending a couple grand fixing issues, including buying new wheels (had Vault Krystals... the most disgusting wheel ever made..) it became apparent that she had indeed copped a hard life and the motor was cactus, developing a knock. Once it started knocking i decided to thrash the absolute tits off it (driving to work on rev-limiter a couple times) and tried to pop the good ol' SR20DE. this thing had me fucked. I couldnt pop it. the knock was so loud you could hear it before the exhaust, and the headgasket blew putting some excessive pressure into my cooling system, blowing the top hose and forcing water into the overflow bottle, causing it to explode. Drove it home without a top rad-hose and put her up in the garage to rip out the motor. It fucking beat me.

The recipient was a S14 SR20DE from good ol' jap-land. After researching the swap whilst trying to kill the S13 SR20DE, (fuck all info around really..) I decided to slap in the S14 DE whilst retaining the S13 ecu and loom. Only issue was going to be running the VCT solenoid.

To fit the S14 SR20DE into the S13 using S13 ECU and loom, ALL sensors from S13 DE need to be put onto the S14 DE other than the throttle body and obviously VCT solenoid. Swap went pretty straight forward, had to make up a new bracket for the throttle cable using the S13 bracket, run new coolant lines for the heater core, and other small issues. One thing that struck me as quite odd was the power steer pump. Because my S13 had a brand spanker on it, i wanted to use that on the S14 engine. It isnt a straight swap. the belt wasnt lining up, and the S14 pulley has 4 ribs, whereas the S13 pulley only has 3 ribs. (or other way around?) Swapped the harmonic balancer and power steer pump bracket from the 13DE to 14DE and problem was sorted. The rest of it was a bolt in affair, after fucking around with the auto pilot bush in the 14DE, and that sort of shit.

VCT solenoid is being run off a switch until i find somthing to pick up a tac signal to activate a relay at the required RPM. i belive Jaycar has a product for this.

A couple days after the swap, i took a good friend for a spin, and she decided she had to own it. I wasnt very keen on selling it because i couldnt find anything i really wanted around for sale, and i had just put in some hard work and $$$ to get the new engine in it. UNTIL she saw my future car for sale. Details are as follows.

Not even a week after i had finished the S13 engine swap, I was heading up to Port Maquarie to have a look at a car, a S14 Zenki with a SR20DE. Looked like absolute shit in the photos (all zenkis do as far as im concerned) but i saw it had a bit of potential. Took it for a test drive, noted some problems, dropped the price considerably, and the deal was done. My friend bought it, and i straight swapped her for my S13.

Details:

1994 S14 Silvia Zenki
5sp manual
Engine:...
SR20DE
HKS pod filter
2.25in exhaust

Suspension & Wheels:
Pineapples in rear subframe (apparently)
Pedders struts
Low King Springs all around
couple Nolathane front bushes
18" x 7.5" Sport Max rims (F)
18" x 9.5" Sport Max rims (R)

Interior:
multi-colour LED dash cluster
Aus-spec speedo (260kph)
some parts painted blue (gotta go...)

Exterior:
Vertex frontbar
unknown sideskirts
rear pods
ugly grille
Resprayed in Ford Blueprint blue
shaved wing

Sound:
Pioneer CD/MP3 headunit
Alpine Type S 6in components (F)
Alpine Type S 6in components (R)
Pioneer 12in sub
Pioneer 250wrms amp
0awg amplifier wiring kit
platinum RCA leads

think thats about it.

1st problem... running -5degrees camber on the O/S/R and -4deg on the N/S/R. not too big a deal. i do wheel alignments at work, so problem could almost be sorted. done that, but need camber arms still.

2nd problem - gauges inaccurate. wont read past 1/2 full on fuel, temp gauge sits up high (temp is ok though), car is 10-20kph out depending on speed. All due to the LED dash kit shit she installed to it. Should fix it tomorrow.

3rd problem - non turbo, 4 stud, open center diff... - can resolve 2 problems, but have to stay turbo for another 2 years... dammit..

couple small other issues, but all easily sorted (hopefully.)

Since buying it, ive fixed the camber issue a bit, put my old rims back on, tinted the taillights (will do until i buy LED taillights.. i hate Zenki ones..) and painted the grille. not much really, but hopefully over time ill get some money spent on it.

Plans are to slap some coilovers in it, Nismo 2 way, swaybars, camber arms, Vertex sides and rear, and possibly Kouki front end. Long term plans are to build a nice DE for it including ITBs. Will see what happens. I want a really unique P plater car that goes well. I know everyone says spending money on a non turbo is a waste of time, but i still have another 2 years left on my Ps, i spent an assload on my previous non turbo car (Nissan Exa) and i dont regret a bit of it.

For any that read all that, i apologise. Had to fill in my Monday night. hahaha.

PICS:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:26 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I like both of those,but especially the S14. clean bodywork,the only thing I'd personally change would be the tail lights.

Best of luck with them both.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:09 pm 
T25

photos can really make a car look better sometimes...

sigh...

the S14 has a couple small dents here and there along with scratches you would expect from a daily driver. I have to agree with you 100% on the taillights though. i absolutely hate the the Zenki taillights. Im thinking of getting Kouki center garnish and painting it the Blueprint blue, and getting some black aftermarket taillights.

the headlights need eyelids atleast. Oh, and that S13 isnt as clean as it looks there anymore:

open center diff + me = fail...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:28 pm 

what I didn't like about the tail lights was that they had been tinted.

I don't see where all the hatred of the S1 styling comes from,it's the original design of the car. the S2 is a facelift,that doesn't match the car's lines as well as the first panel design does IMHO.

don't put eyelids on them either,my girlfriend's car came with a set when she bought it,they were the first thing I ripped off. besides reducing the performance of the lights,they don't make it look any sleeker.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:42 pm 
T25

each to their own i guess.

I was after a Kouki from the start (as im sure you would be able to tell) but try finding one non turbo. I was stoked when this one came up!

I dont mind the S1 front, but the taillights dont do it for me. Hence i tinted them just for my own curiosity. After seeing the Vertex S14 Zenki with the eyelids, (white one they have advertised) I decided my S14 needed them. Im still wanting to do the Kouki front end, but doubt i will. rather save money up for the motor i have in the garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:54 am 

StaTiK wrote:
I was after a Kouki from the start (as im sure you would be able to tell) but try finding one non turbo. I was stoked when this one came up!

try finding either version in NA spec here. if the car was originally NA it's an illegal import.
NA S14's are ineligible for import as they don't meet SEVS criteria. they don't meet the performance requirement,and are both too similar to and were sold at the same time as the local version which negates them for import.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:13 pm 
Quad T04

I've seen the odd one around.
You can get em from people who brought them in as personal imports still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:46 pm 
T25

she was definately originally NA. the motor has not been out of this girl. She also has 4 studs and an open center diff.

aus spec dash too, and no import plate. go figure. i cant work this girl out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:22 pm 

neither can I. What about the build plate,does it list an NA engine?
any aussie compliance plate? do all of the numbers match?

it might have snuck through as a 15yr import last year IF it's a REALLY REALLY early build. if it's a personal import it should have a plate saying so somewhere. I'm inclined to think it may have been brought over as a parts vehicle by some wrecking yard and has been fixed up and then had a dodgy rego put on it. make sure you keep it regoed if that's the case.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:03 am 
T25

fergo308 wrote:
I'm inclined to think it may have been brought over as a parts vehicle by some wrecking yard and has been fixed up and then had a dodgy rego put on it.

hit the nail on the head. exactly the conclusion i came to. aslong as she is in rego, all is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:14 pm 
T25

well, some slackjawed yokel decided to reverse into my car and drive off the other day ruining my 1/4 panel, frontbar, and indicator. Managed to net me a list of defects too, due to the front end damage...
SO ive decided to go back to a stock S14 look and sack it. I have a thing for simple and clean cars.

If anyone has original S14 sideskirts for sale, let me know!

Im also wondering what peoples opinions on the painted taillight center garnish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:34 pm 
T25

well, managed to get a complete S1 front end for $120, painted her up, bought a copy greddy intake manifold, fitted some rear camber arms, fitted twin 12in thermofans with davies craig thermatic controller, and got rid of her. Intake piping was changed again from these pics before i sold her.

here are a couple pics before i got rid of her:

So, next car on the cards is a FC3S bridgeported, hoping to chase some nice N/A power, whilst a mate and myself look around for another S13 to turn into a track bitch.. In about 6 months when ive had enough of the RX7, ill prob be looking into an Autech S15.

Ill be back here soon enough!

James.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:42 pm 
T25

Car: sc400, fd rx7, e46 m3
love the s14, great job on both!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 pm 
T28

Car: 1993 black S13 silvia
Hey man nice s14, but what I'm really after is the paint code from the s13... Pm me...