Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RPS13 buildup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:35 pm 
T25

Car: 180SX
Well first off, I'm Matt and I know a lot of you from different circles (Circuit Club, JDMST & other forums etc) though I've been in hiding for awhile building up a new toy...

The base car was bought back in December, a basically stock 1997 Type X.

Now I've been having withdrawls from going fast so I am building up another car (slowly) for track use while maintaining some sort of street legality - though that seems to be getting further away by the day.

So at the moment, the car looks like this:

Suspension:
I've changed the suspension over; coilovers, adjustable castor rods, whiteline sway bars, removed the HICAS & had the alignment done at road & race performance.

The handling is well sorted

Interior:
The car has been stripped out, interior painted black.
Bride seat fitted,
Momo wheel, WB quick release

Engine wise:
Pod
HDI intercooler
HDI dual stage ebc
Catback Nismo exhaust (according to the label on it anyway)

I'm picking up a T518Z kit this week, then once I have the supporting mods for that I am hoping for a 200rwkw setup with a 230rwkw push to pass button.

Wheels / Brakes etc:
BBS rims
Braided Lines
Ferodo Pads

Not sure what I'm going to do with this yet, as the braking abilities of the car leave a lot to be desired.

That's all for the moment,

More to come as I start making some headway with it, the end goal is a reliable track / street car that can push out some very decent times at the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:02 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Do your roof black allready.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:13 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
do away with the push to pass and have 230rwkw all the time.

There are plenty of stock bottom end sr's making that power that can circulate all day long.

Go a set of r33 gtst front brakes as a minimum. With decent pads and fluid you will be more than happy with the stopping power and consistency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:46 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
Have a look at my sil80 at the next track day. Its probably a good template for a reasonably quick track car

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:55 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: S13 Silvia
Hey Mat, nice car.

I wish I had a push to pass button especially in low gear corners... but like Dave said keep the 230rwk all the time. If the cars suspension is set up fine it should not be a problem on the track.

Get some GTR or R33 GTST brake calipers. You will probably have to go 5 stud conversion unless you want to redrill the rotors. If you already have wheels that you want to use for the track, redrilling is the cheapest option... some might argue not the safest but I have run redrilled rotors for ages and no problems. On saying that I am doing a 5 stud conversion to fit the wheels I have just bought!

Before you go spending big dollars to make power, make sure your braking, cooling and handling including wheels and tyres are sorted and I would do them in roughly that order. No point having power if you cant stop, use it for long periods or put it to the ground...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:08 pm 
T03

Car: 180SX Type X & S15 Spec Aero
Good to see another 180sx trackcar. :D

Car looks nice and with the correct mods should go quick, my type x is Midnight Purple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:19 pm 
T25

Cheers guys,

The brakes / rims / tyres will get done before the Turbo setup install is done, the only reason I have already got the Turbo is because a friend was selling it to me for a good price.

As for brakes, yes I am looking into a 5 stud conversion, with either 33GTST, 33GTR or maybe even a set of AP Racing brakes to try and slow the car down. I mainly joined up here for the reading on doing 5 stud conversions in the tech section, as it is something I haven't done before.

As for the cooling, I have budgeted in for that as well with the Turbo setup. It will fit it all up at the same time.
Oil Cooler,
Larger Radiator,
Turbo,
Injectors,
ECU,
AFM,
Fuel Pump
Rocker arm stoppers,
etc

Juzzo, the black roof is coming, I just have to organize a time for Billy to vinyl it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:54 pm 
T25

Well here's an update after the car's first track outing at Wakefield on Monday...

It has become very apparent that standard S13 brakes are not up to the task of the abuse being given to them, the car was plagued with braking issues (fade, boiling RBF600), malfunctioning ABS (50% of the time it works every time) and just generally annoying me.
I found the easiest way to combat the brake issues was to just stop using them. Wakefield now only has 3 braking points for me (Turn 2, fishhook, last turn), everything else is either flat stick or just a quick lift.

The suspension setup seems to be right on the money though, having run a few 1:12.4 laps and consistent 1:13's all day.

The plan now is to try to sort out the brakes, invest in a larger radiator, get an oil cooler & harness then hit the track again and see if I can drop the times below the 1:10 mark.

I think there is still another second or two in the car on these tyres (RT615s), I just need to find a bit more courage & trust the car a little more. I was lifting off too much and braking too early in a few places.

Once I get the confidence back (it had been over a year since my last track day before that), the times should drop further.

It will still be awhile before I will look at fitting up the monster turbo setup but hopefully that will see the times drop even further.

More pictures coming when they get uploaded!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:41 am 
Retard

Car: Sileighty
Awesome stuff mate! Give me a buzz next time you're down south. We should hook up.

S13 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:05 pm 
Quad T78

Needs rims made post 1984 and more low haha :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:03 am 
T51 Hybrid

Car: S13 Silvia
Pretty good effort. That is a good time considering the mods to your car and it was your first time out - actually that is a great time!

Improve the car with some more power and braking ability and you will find another couple of seconds quite easily.

Has the bug bitten? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:59 pm 
Quad T78

Not his 1st time out, just 1st time in the new car...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:23 am 
T25

God wrote:
Awesome stuff mate! Give me a buzz next time you're down south. We should hook up.

S13 <3

Will do, we should organise that catch up we were talking about soon!

JayS14 wrote:
Needs rims made post 1984 and more low haha :P

Haha, I know for the rims, it's somewhere on the "to buy when I have spare cash list".

As for the low, remember how it was scrubbing after I put the 615's on? Well it wasn't just scrubbing on the inner guards, it was being cut up by the chassis join as well.

I ended up having to raise the front 2.5cm, stiffen it up more, and roll that chassis join as well to make it stop scrubbing.

SRS13 wrote:
Pretty good effort. That is a good time considering the mods to your car and it was your first time out - actually that is a great time!

Improve the car with some more power and braking ability and you will find another couple of seconds quite easily.

Has the bug bitten? :)

Haha, it definitely wasn't my first outing to the track, just the first outing in the 180. The bug bit awhile ago now!

I want to get it to the 1:10 mark before I add more power, so that when I do fit up that turbo kit it will go seriously fast!

We'll see how we go, I'm going to fiddle with the suspension a tad more, sort out the cooling, and braking. Then have another crack at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:03 pm 
Quad T78

anchor wrote:
As for the low, remember how it was scrubbing after I put the 615's on? Well it wasn't just scrubbing on the inner guards, it was being cut up by the chassis join as well.

I ended up having to raise the front 2.5cm, stiffen it up more, and roll that chassis join as well to make it stop scrubbing.
Yeah i remember, I just smashed mine flat and ran a weld along it....