Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:59 pm 
T51

Car: S13 Silvia, King Spec :P
there is nothing wrong with having adjustable regulator, now that you have it you maay as well install it and set it to stock base pressure for now

eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:41 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: Silvia s13
cypher - You have a point I never really thought about going with second hand set of wheels, I'll keep an eye out.

I want a silvia - At the moment I havent really got a set price range.. I was quoted roughly $1,000 for the osaka ones, I guess it depends on how much i can sell the wheels I got now for.

Eddied - Yeah I was thinking the same as well seeing as how I've brought it I might as well put it on and leave it as stock pressure and maybe change it at a later date if i need to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:19 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Having a set of second-hand wheels for the track is a great idea (especially if your car is going to be street driven).

I'd recommend that you don't install the pressure reg just yet. I know you've spent money on it, so you want to put it on the car but it's not going to make it any better. The best-case scenario is that is doesn't affect the engine, but the worst-case is that it messes with your fuel pressure and makes the engine run badly and you have to remove it.

Wait until you're getting a tune before you add the regulator. If you add it now, it's like putting the struts for a rear wing on your bootlid without adding the wing. You gain nothing by doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:24 pm 
T03 Hybrid

cypher1024 wrote:
If you add it now, it's like putting the struts for a rear wing on your bootlid without adding the wing. You gain nothing by doing it.

Hmm thats an interestin way of putting it, it'll probably stay off until I get the money to get an ECU then when it gets tuned i'll add it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:21 pm 
T03 Hybrid

I seem to be having quite a difficult time trying to control my boost, originally I thought it was the wastegate so I replaced it and brought a new one but still it doesn't control, so I checked the vacuum line & it had been connected to my BOV line so I rang Unigroup & spoke to Yavuz about where I shoud run it to and he suggested the intake manifold.

So i re-run the line to the manifold where the gauge was hooked into (dont know why I didn't use common sense n think of that) :roll: but the boost still isn't being controlled.
So im starting to think it may be because the internal wastegate was welded shut and an external one was put in, could this be the problem?? I'll ring Unigroup tomorrow and work out a time that I can go down and have a talk to them about how to fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:26 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

The wastegate vacuum line is usually attached shortly after the compressor (i.e. the first intercooler pipe connected to the turbo). I suppose you could connect it to the intake manifold, but it'd require a really long hose and your boost control wouldn't be as accurate as if you got it as close as you could to the turbo.

By "having a difficult time trying to control my boost", do you mean that:

- You can't raise it past 7- 10 psi
- Boost is fluctuating, or
- It's running a lot of boost and you can't lower it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:25 pm 
T03 Hybrid

The boost was continuing to run and I couldnt lower it, at the dyno it got up to 23 psi at one stage..but I got it all fixed up, the port on the wastegate rattled loose, so its been tightened and is now controlling fine.

I gotta book into unigroup in a few days for a tune & to see what kind of boost it can hold

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:53 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

It's good to hear you've found the problem. 23 psi would've made mince-meat of your pistons.

Good luck on the dyno. Hopefully we'll see you at the track soon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:06 am 
T03 Hybrid

Cheers, Yavuz said if I pushed the car too hard before I got it fixed up i would of personally experienced the 'big bang' :o now its fixed I may head to the track early in the new year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:56 am 
T03 Hybrid

Seems i had an unwanted bad ending to 2008, I spent a couple of hours down at Unigroup yesterday to have my car tuned & thought it would be the last thing I'd need to do for awhile.. looks like i was wrong

While they were trying to tune it they discovered that I've got oil running into my intake pipe and the smoke is being vented when the BOV opens :( so they want to do a compression test to check the rings & everything out to see whats causing the problem

To top things off the bad history of leaning out, running boost way too high & having ignition timing 7deg too high has taken a heavy toll on my engine (no suprises there) so its only a matter of time till the engine dies in the ass so I now have to start looking for a new engine :roll: yay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:00 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: S13 Silbeer and OneEighty wife mobile
probably just the turbo seals mate, don't get too worried about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:47 am 
T03 Hybrid

Would I be able to find out the problem/s if I pulled out the engine took it apart then rebuilt it? or would this be a waste of time more than anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:13 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
whether it's a waste of time or not, it's a lot of time, and a lot of money.

Don't pull it apart if it's all working, unless it's been diagnosed as needing a rebuilt and you want to get it rebuilt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:21 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Now that I've finally found a cheap daily car I'm going to pull the silvia off the road & fix up the problems it's had then start doing it up as a dedicated track car.

I've been going through a few sites and looking at what stuff to get for the car and so far I'm thinking about getting:
- Greddy oil catch can
- thinking bout getting a LSD & carbon fibre bodykit
- Forged Pistons & cams (still unsure of what brand I want to get)
- Garrett 3071r turbo (seeing as i already have an external 'gate)
- Nismo 770cc Injectors
- Finally possibly a racing seat cause with the seat I have at the moment I will have height issues when wearing a helmet even though it is a bucket seat.

Also just curious to know if anyone thinks that there's something that needs to be added, taken off or changed? so that I don't go out and buy it to find I could of found someone else that works better or that I didn't need to spend money on buying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Seems I started pulling my car apart at the right time.. A day after I pulled off the exhaust manifold & turbo I recieved a notice from the DECC stating someone had complained my car was excessively noisy and that I'd need a test done for noise & emissions

Although they claimed I didn't have to attend if my car was off the road for repairs, written off or sold as long as i could provide evidence, so I sent them in pictures of the nice hole where my manifold/turbo would sit so I doubt I'll be hearing from them again :P

Apart from that I've started stripping the interior out starting with the carpet & backseat and will work from there

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next