Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:29 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: Carless :'(
I am posting this petition as I believe that this is rediculous and want to give as much support as I can to Troy and his family, I have met Troy previously and he is a top bloke....

For those who don't know, Troy Critchley is an Australian competing in the NHRA (American drag racing), he volunteered to do a demonstration burnout at a street event, similar to summernats, in his blown drag car...did his burn out, the rear tyre grabbed traction and speared him into the crowd and a telephone pole. Killed 7 people and injured 22 others. The road was closed for the event by police and the event organisers but yet there was no barriers put in place, and the crowd was right at the side of the road for the event. Now he is up on 7 counts of manslaughter and 22 counts of aggrivated assault, which could result in a substantial jail sentence. Not to mention is looking at approx $10million in civil suits also.

Sign the petition here: http://www.teambrayracing.com/newsite/CoolStuff/petition.php

Please forward on to all the people you know !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:09 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
i can see this turning into a shit-fight on here. if anyone causes trouble. ill ban them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:12 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
I feel sorry for the poor bastard.

Even though he should have seen the dodgy layout they were asking him to do a big burnout in and said "No way!", he shouldn't be the only one they are going after in the witch-hunt. The real people responsible are the police that set up the scenario, the fire dept that watered down the track and the organisers that didn't provide safe spectator areas.

If the drag racer was an American, they wouldn't be after his blood as much as they are with it being an Aussie

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:26 am 
T88 Hybrid

Car: None yet...Too young!
I feel sorry for Troy. If anyone watched 60 minutes on Sunday it shows what happened. He couldn't do anything. Unluckily for the spectators there was nothing stopping him..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:12 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S13
People seem to easily forget that things such as motor sports are dangerous. Not just for the driver but those around them.
You wouldn't stand infront of someone holding a loaded gun, so why would you stand infront of someone with a high performance car doing a burnout?

I feel sorry for those who were killed or injured... but when are people going to start thinking for themselves and taking steps to ensure their own safety?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:05 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180sx
i thought spectators and stuff waive their rights and acknowledge the risks involved when they get the ticket. i remember reading something like that on the back of the F1 tickets when i bought them...

Im guessing this event didnt have that type of thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:07 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
I wonder that if a F1 driver crashed and somehow ended up over the barriers and into the crowd whether they would get charged for manslaughter or they would just treat that as an accident..

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:35 pm 
Twin T04

Car: green datto
It's usually treated as an accident as long as acceptable safety precautions are put in place. If in aus there will be a coroners enquiry and if things are found lacking then people will get charged, the todd wilkes mess was a good example of that. Using an F1 example Frank Williams and iirc patrick head were charged over ayrton sennas death.

d_foo - legally you can't sign away your rights, those things have basically no standing in court. All they do is provide an acknowledgement from you that things could be dangerous however if the organiser is negligent they are still on the hook. Combine this with the fact that organisors can and do get held criminally and finacially liable for accidents goes some way to explaining why sometimes they are perceived to be a pita. The ones that aren't generally haven't figured out that if there's an accident they could go to jail.

My feelings on this whole thing is mixed. Yes, the people standing there but did they know what was really going to happen (ie static burnout vs a launch) and were they in any position to understand how dangerous it was (ok, they should've had a reasonable clue but most people have no concept what these cars are capable of). The organisors and whoever signed off the safety are clearly negligent and deserve to be raked across the coals.

However Troy critchley was also an idiot for agreeing to take part in it. He better than anyone understood the risks and should have said no, not safe, I'm not doing it. The petition pisses me off a bit as so many people go on about lack of personal responsibility these days but when someone does soemthing stupid they are looking to be bailed out using the "oh, the nasty americans are out to get the poor aussie" excuse. I think it's right he's being charged however what is a disgrace is that they organisors have not been. The people paid with their lives, troy is facing charges, the organisors must also be held accountable for what was an insanely stupid stunt which inevitably was going to go wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Ur probably right tmb, if this was an F1 freak accident it, it would never be seen as manslaughter, especially since any compensation payout would be spare change to the F1 conglomerate.

as for charging troy with manslaughter? doesnt that put him in the same boat as street racers, when they crash and kill people? the end result is the same but it just doesnt seem to be the same type of offence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:26 pm 
Twin T04

Car: green datto
Actually that's just not true. In 2001 when Graham Beveridge was killed Jacques Villeneuve and Ralf Schumacher were required to appear at the inquest and the coroner did investigate to see if charges should be laid against either them or the organisers. I also pointed to above example where the team manager and technical director of williams were charged forllowing a death to their driver. And in neither of these cases was there anything like the negligence that was displayed in Troys accident.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:08 am 
T66

hobzta wrote:
...I have met Troy previously and he is a top bloke...

...Troy Critchley is an Australian competing in the NHRA (American drag racing)...

My apology in advance...

But I don't get it, if he is as described why he would participate in a clearly and very obviously none-safe activity where people are basically everywhere!!

I am sorry but this is unacceptable to a certain extend! Common sense is missing here :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:38 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: Carless :'(
I think common sense was missing from every angle you look at it, but I still think that manslaughter charges are well above what needs to be done in this case. And as for saying that he shouldn't have done it based on what he thought, I agree totally, he should have looked at the area and thought "this isn't right" but when the police are saying it's all good I can't see how they can then say well actually....