Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speeding & Defect facts
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:49 am 
T51

Car: 2000 JDM S15
Hey Guys got pulled over for the first time on Sunday round 9:30.

I had stopped on a set of lights just before my local shopping center and as i was approaching a speed hump which is a crossing directly opposite the entrance/exit to the shops, two police officers were walking out of the shop to their van which was parked on the other side of the street, one of them yells at me to pull over, so following instructions i pull into bus bay which he indicated, one of the guys struts over and asks me whether i know what the speed limit is ? which i politely answer "50km officer", and he starts to raise his tone and says and how fast are you going, once again replying politely "about 40-50km", now it gets interesting !! he starts yelling at me saying "yea right F****** bullshit, have you had anything to drink ? which i reply no, so he walks over to his van and gets the breath tester thingo and makes me count to 10, the reading came out fine.
So arrogant cop now asks me for my license and whether i have ever been pulled over, committed any traffic offenses to which i reply politely no officer. So he takes my license to check me up, at this point the other officer who seemed ok just started telling me that speeding isn't worth it etc etc. Then he starts to walk around my car, the comes back and asks me whether i have an engineering certificate for my exhaust, once again replying nicely i told him i wasn't aware that i needed one, and that i had bought the car as is and that i hadn't modified it any way since, so he tells me that if he can fit his foot into my exhaust i have to have an engineering certificate, so he asks to open my bonnet and notices my pod filter, at this point the other officer checking my licence comes back (ive been involved in one accident which unfortunately i was done for neg driving due to no witness ) which the lady over the speaker tells him. So they are in front my car discussing my pod filter which is the only mod that was performed under the bonnet, so after a bit they both walk back to my window and with no further mention to anything to do with modification the arrogant cop asks me for contact details, so i give mobile and home no. (my mob has been playing up) and then says that knows where i live and he is going to get everyone to watch out for me and if i stuff up again he will get me for it and take my car, and before he walks off with his partner says ive gout your no. so you just might hear from me.

Leaving me to drive away feeling very confused and abused. Can they get someone for speeding if they don't have their camera or are not in their car ? And when defecting a car do they issue it to you on the spot, do they have to let you know ? Do you lose points on defects ?

thanks joey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:55 am 
T88 Hybrid

Car: ..

Last edited by YK51RF on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:49 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1990 Nissan Silvia
sil:xtc wrote:
Hey Guys got pulled over for the first time on Sunday round 9:30.

I had stopped on a set of lights just before my local shopping center and as i was approaching a speed hump which is a crossing directly opposite the entrance/exit to the shops, two police officers were walking out of the shop to their van which was parked on the other side of the street, one of them yells at me to pull over, so following instructions i pull into bus bay which he indicated, one of the guys struts over and asks me whether i know what the speed limit is ? which i politely answer "50km officer", and he starts to raise his tone and says and how fast are you going, once again replying politely "about 40-50km", now it gets interesting !! he starts yelling at me saying "yea right F****** bullshit, have you had anything to drink ? which i reply no, so he walks over to his van and gets the breath tester thingo and makes me count to 10, the reading came out fine.
So arrogant cop now asks me for my license and whether i have ever been pulled over, committed any traffic offenses to which i reply politely no officer. So he takes my license to check me up, at this point the other officer who seemed ok just started telling me that speeding isn't worth it etc etc. Then he starts to walk around my car, the comes back and asks me whether i have an engineering certificate for my exhaust, once again replying nicely i told him i wasn't aware that i needed one, and that i had bought the car as is and that i hadn't modified it any way since, so he tells me that if he can fit his foot into my exhaust i have to have an engineering certificate, so he asks to open my bonnet and notices my pod filter, at this point the other officer checking my licence comes back (ive been involved in one accident which unfortunately i was done for neg driving due to no witness ) which the lady over the speaker tells him. So they are in front my car discussing my pod filter which is the only mod that was performed under the bonnet, so after a bit they both walk back to my window and with no further mention to anything to do with modification the arrogant cop asks me for contact details, so i give mobile and home no. (my mob has been playing up) and then says that knows where i live and he is going to get everyone to watch out for me and if i stuff up again he will get me for it and take my car, and before he walks off with his partner says ive gout your no. so you just might hear from me.

Leaving me to drive away feeling very confused and abused. Can they get someone for speeding if they don't have their camera or are not in their car ? And when defecting a car do they issue it to you on the spot, do they have to let you know ? Do you lose points on defects ?

thanks joey

DUDE . I know the guys your talking about . there always around the shops. One night last year like 2 am, i parked my car at mky mates right down end of caroline chisholm,and they come up my ass, flash thier lights, pulled me over , pionted a light in my face asking what i was doing . they then sped off leaving me very confused >.<

There from parramatta station.
Hills are much friendlier officers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:04 pm 
TO4

Car: JDM S15
Ufortunately, this is just one of those horror stories you hear about. Personally, I've only been pulled over 3 times for an "RBT" in which only one officer asked me to pop the bonnet. He was a genuinely nice guy and I never had a problem him.

Your situation does sound suspect. I don't believe they have the right to detain you and "make up" stuff like that. You did the right thing though, you were polite, obeyed instructions and stayed calm.

Just wait and see if anything comes of it, although I doubt it. From your post it doesn't sound like these guys are even highway patrol/traffic cops and it certainly doesn't sound like they're following their guidelines.

If anything does come of it though, I'd prob seek some legal advice..as you were doing the right thing.

Best of luck, dont stress too much!

-Jessica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:30 pm 
T51

Blake - yer i figure they weren't from the area, as i have had a chat to a few that are from the local station and they all seem to be very friendly and nice, or that this guy was absolutely having a shit day and has taken it out on me

Jess - will try not to worry about it too much, as i said unfortunately due to my last accident, i got done for neg driving even though it wasn't my fault and i lost point leaving me only with 1, so i cant afford to lose any more points

So can anyone confirm whether you lose points when defected ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:47 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
ive never lost points for a defect, but thats just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:21 pm 
TO4

Car: SR 180
A nice guy in blue overalls that was doing my car over a while ago told me that they can only take points as well as defect for seatbelts that dont work. which makes sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:01 pm 
TO4

Car: JDM S15
Sorry Joey... I think it depends on the defect. I've heard of people losing 3 points for having a BOV before. But from your post I gather that it would be exhaust and pod should you get defected? As far as I know, neither of those carry a demerit point loss.

I'm not 100% though as I've never been defected. This is just what I've heard from friends who have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:36 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1990 Nissan Silvia
YOu only get defects for neglecting on safety..

So if you have baldies/belts showing on your tyres, its 1 piont
Seatbelt(s) defective - 2 pionts

If the officer is ina grumpy mood they can do niose pollution
Usually no demerit pionts (can take one if deemed hazardous to health iirc) but hefty fine.

Pionts are usually taken one yellow and redstickers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:51 pm 
T28

Car: nissan 180sx
yeah man ive met coppers like that once when i got pulled over for an RBT one guy was looking in my engine bay the other copper was smoking a cigarrette next to my car checking out how low my car was:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:09 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 200SX
they didnt give you anyfine at that time, so dont worry too much.
when i got my fmic, the pod made loud noise at the front of the 2 cops standing on the corner of the street and i didnt see them from far away
they heard loud noise from pod filter, they were looking at me, and didnt chase me. .. twice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:00 pm 
TO4

Car: s15
if they wanan be a dikhead they stil send u the defect n fine tru mails.. i got done before n they sent me the defect notice..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:28 pm 
T51

lol forgot about this untill now :lol: still havent recieved or heard anything so not worried anymore at this point.

-Joey-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:07 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 89 Skyline GT-R, Onevia Project and a PRIUS :P
when i was defected in my 200, the cops told me my fmic wasnt a defect but i needed to get it passed through a emissions test to make sure its still within the limits, they told me i had to remove the pod filter, put a stock exhaust back on it and when it came to the bov the officer told me that each time the bov goes off it's 3 points off my licence :|, i ended up clearing everything on the first go apart from passing the emissions test which i had to go for it a 2nd time (thank god for Emissions Test Passer :D )

but yea just for anyones knowledge here, if you get defected and sent for a emissions test, pay a visit to a little spare parts shop on Sackville St Canley Vale, its next door to a butcher shop, right there on thier counter they have a little fuel additive they call Emissions Test Passer, i used 2 bottles of it which i believe helped me pass the test(it prolly would have passed the first time if i used it) but then again thanks to Fergo's advice i put some new spark plugs in it too which may have also helped