Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IT Careers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:19 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 180sx RB26DETT
Hi boys, gurls...

im just woundering how many of you out there are in the IT industry..

id just like to know what you do?
qualifications that you have?
Company you work for and what they do?

just stuff like this and please keep to the topic and no wannabe's as i know alot of you wish you could be high paid IT candidates....

Post subject: Re: IT Careers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:20 pm 
Twin T51

blu80 wrote:
Hi boys, gurls...

im just woundering how many of you out there are in the IT industry..

just stuff like this and please keep to the topic and no wannabe's as i know alot of you wish you could be high paid IT candidates....

this would really help me decide what i wish to do in later years as i am considering taking on MBA and becoming an consultant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:40 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: s13 silvia
Im a systems engineer.

My only real qualification is 10+ years experience. Back in the NT4 days i had some certs but they are no longer relevant.

I also did most of a computer science degree at UTS before deciding I hate programming, most programmers are boring bastards, and the job I was doing was the job I went to uni in order to get, so I didn't finish my study. Can't say it has held me back at all so far.

I work for Leighton Contractors in the site activity team. Everytime we are building a new bridge, or bypass, or tunnel or whatever, someone has to setup the network / servers for the onsite staff. Thats me. Once ive built everything I go onsite to set it up, once its up and running I move onto the next project.

Lots of travel, flexible working hours (whatever I want), good money (contracting) good working environment (our coffee machines kick ass) etc etc.

I recommend going corporate over small IT service companies. Ive done my share of both.

A small company that is servicing customers will always have a $$$ focus. How many billable hours you can do in a week. How much profit you can make on a solution you are proposing, etc etc... Not to mention the customer always wanting you to do it the "cheaper way" and then complaining when the system sucks in the exact way you said it would suck when you recommended that they do it the proper (more expensive) way.

None of that in a big corporate. You get to do things the right way the first time and things cost what they cost and take as long as they take and thats just that. Makes my job much more fun.

Oh and I dont do any support. Support sux teh balls. We have a whole platoon of help desk monkeys and other associated nerds taking care of support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:24 pm 
Twin T78

Car: 1993 180SX
I'm a systems business analyst for a large financial organisation (no need to get into specifics i dont think). I did an Information and Communication Technology degree at uni, worked in a shit-kicker helpdesk for a year, then moved jobs to more of a business tech support role, then into a proper business analyst role - been here for just on 2 years now..

Love the work, love the interaction with other people. Love that i dont do any programming, and also love my coffee machine. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:26 pm 
TO4

Car: s15
position: senior java/j2ee dev
education: diploma in IT, bachelor of computer science - sydney uni
company: I'm a contractor, working for news now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:09 pm 
Twin T51

keep it comming guys so far sounds like some of you have really exciting careers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:41 pm 
T66

Car: Black S15 Spec R '01
Ive been working in support for 3 years now. Im onto my second full-time job since uni.

I studied Bachelor of Applied IT, which was pretty broad, it touched on most fields of IT. I also did programming subjects which I actually liked, I got my best marks from them. Unfortunately qualifications dont always get you the job that you want. They are always looking for experience...but I how can I get experience if I havent worked any where yet??

So i took the support role, hoping it would lead onto to better things....I get paid ok, but im getting sick of doing support. hopefully it will get better soon!

i work in a large company, doing internal support, so its not really like a help desk. if anyone has problems they call me, and I also get given heaps of various projects to do in my spare time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:20 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 200SX
i was in tafe for 2 years, did Networking all the way to Diploma
Went to unsw, did computer science,i like networking, and i found that programming was a boring supject...
now doing Digital media @unsw,

been working in a computer shop for 5 years.
sales, technical problem solving, networking, maintenance,..ect

Post subject: Re: IT Careers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:17 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Fa(s)t red boat
blu80 wrote:

I dig holes and lean on a shovel if anyone asks, it sounds more respectable than what I actually do.

I'm a snr telco admin :oops:

Quote:

1st year uni computer science a million years ago... which I kind of ditched in favour of dirty women, cheap booze and 'creative stuff' instead.
I lost track of the other bits of paper which say "I'm qualified" to do certain things and probably close on 22-23years experience fucking around with anything from Vic20's to STM64 multiplexers and everything in between.
Now... I'm more manager than man and not quite human anymore.

Quote:

We're contracted to most of the 3 big telcos in Australia at some level and generally have something to do with most of the little ones, ones you've probably never heard of and fairly diverse spread over everything else tech related. Custom applications, computer IT, repair, refit, rollouts, project mis-management, getting customers shot by the cops, some civil engineering and fault management.

At some point I'll get an honest job.