Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: World Cup 2006
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:57 pm 
Token Black Guy

Car: 95 180
As SilviaNSW’s resident football nut, I though I may as well start a thread on people’s predictions on the World Cup

This is probably going to be huge ramble, so people that aren’t all that interested in Football have my permission to skip all this. :)

Now, first of, may I say what a great achievement it is to see Australia playing on the highest stage. It will do so much for the game within Australia just being there, and we can all be proud of them. That said, lets be realistic in our expectations of them. A best 16 result would be the equivalent of climbing Mt Everest, and with some luck, they may just do that. Anything after that I just cannot see happening.

Now looking at some of the true contenders, 95% of you will probably say Brazil, Brazil, Brazil. I will agree to disagree. (flame suit firmly on).
Now, it is true that Brazil man for man has without a doubt the greatest players on the face of the planet. Ronaldinho I am convinced is god. However Football is a game of 11 and I just do not see much confidence in their defensive positions. Dida (keeper for AC Milan) is very prone to the odd disastrous fumble (many which have led to goals, and ultimately losses for his club), Cafu (one of the greatest offensive minded defenders) is well past his prime, as is Roberto Carlos. Lucio stands out as Brazils only shining star in defence, plus the fact that he is a German based player for Bayern could also help him in this tournament.
Nothing needs to be said about Brazil’s midfield and attack other than WOW. But I have yet to see them ‘gel’ as well with the national team as I see them all play week in, week out for their respective clubs. This is a problem that affects France, and in particular Thierry Henry as well, but more on them later.

Prediction: Fly through to Semi’s, then possible finals place.

England:
Well unfortunately, English hopes arrived D.O.A. the day Wayne Rooney got stretchered off the pitch at old Trafford. Prior to that, they would have been a strong contender to lift the cup, but their attack is limp at best with the strike power falling to a proverbial stick man (Crouch) and quite possibly the oddest choice of any team in the WC, untried and untested (16yo) Wallcott. Gerrard will have to pick up the slack whilst playing out of position for any sort of consistency. Extremely strong defensive line however. John Terry and Frankie Lampard (although both chelscum players…grrrr) to shine for the poms.

Predection: 1st in group, where they will have an easy run into the Quarters as they will most likely dodge Germany and play either Poland or Costa Rica. Cannot see them getting past the Quarters unless they happen to play Mexico. The other options are Portugal, Holland, or Argentina. Then its bye bye England.

Germany:
I don’t feel the Germans have what it takes to make it all the way, although home ground advantage in football makes such a huge advantage you can never rule them out. They rely too much on the prowess of Ballack who is currently not 100% recovered from an injury which spells disaster. On a personal note, Jens Lehmann is a little girl, and Kahn would have done a much better job in goal.

Prediction: Very tough one. Without home ground advantage i’d right them off straight away as serious contenders. So on that note, im going to leave this prediction open…

Italy:
Apart from Brazil, quite probably the most followed football team in the world, and unlike their South American counterparts have not had much success over the last few decades. Nesta and Cannavaro to shine in defence, however Totti had been out of form with Roma in attack, which leaves italy looking to the aging yet reliable Inzhagi, and youngster Gilardino to put the ball in the back of the net. Italy do have one of the best midfields in the tournament, and IMHO the best keeper, and that could be the key to them progressing.

Prediction:
One thing ive learnt over the years is to never underestimate the Italians. They find themselves in the same rut as the Netherlands as world Footballs ‘Underacheivers’. I do not think a finals birth is out of the question. Winners? Well….we’ll see. Whatever the result, they will in true Italian style, be the best dressed team out there. :D

France:
Oh how the once mighty have fallen. Internal conflicts and aging/retired players have caused the most dominating team of the 90’s to come back down to earth. Zidane’s swansong may provide some sort of inspiration, as well as Henry and Saha being in red hot form with their clubs.

Prediction:
I hate to say it, but the only reason France will make it to the Quarters, (provided they finsh top of their group and avoid Spain in the next round) is through an easy run through the group and round of 16. No further than that though.

Argentina:
Ahh…group C. What is affectionately known as the ‘Group of death’, is well….worse. Argentina is for me the total dark horse for the tournament. Now you can probably guess im very biased towards the Netherlands (just look at my sig), so the group game between these two games is HUGE! However both top places of group C, will have to play either Portugal or Mexico from Group D. Not exactly an easy run through to the quarters….
Heize is back, but is very rusty after spending 90% of the season on the sidelines through injury. Riquelme and Crespo are both straight off the top shelf. But Argentinas hopes will lie with youngster Leo Messi of Barcelona, the future of Football. He really is something else.

Prediction:
If they beat Holland within the group games, they will be my prediction to lift the Cup and restore Argentina to the peak of World Football. Messi could in all possibilities take the crown from Maradonnas head (im being deadly serious). Keep an eye out for him.

The Netherlands:
Now we come the bias portion of this long and for some quite boring post. My team.
The dutch have always been blessed with so much more Footballing talent than they rightly should have. 16 million people, in a country 300odd kms wide, just should not have produced players like Gullet, Cruyff, Van Basten and Rijkarrd full stop. The 1974 World Cup squad is still to this day, remembered as the Greatest team never to have won a World Cup.
Onto the new generation. Coach Van Basten has done away with the ego’s of yesteryear which cost the oranje success in recent tournaments. Will this pay off? Hopefully yes.

Prediction: Oranje to shake off the bad luck bug and lift the World Cup of 2006.

So in conclusion, I see a Netherlands V Argentina Final, with Holland winning it all. How confident am i? Well $150 confident @ 15/1 :D
Whoever you support, sit back, relax, open up a nice cold beer and enjoy the greatest event of the greatest pasttime mankind has ever created.
Oh and long as no Fulham players are injured during the tournament ill be happy whatever the result. Remember club > country.

Go Oranje!
That is all.
- Salwyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:35 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
Go Mexico and England~! Woot (My draws at my works world cup sweep)

Otherwise...Go Aussie Aussie!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:12 pm 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
Nice rant there Sal.

I like Brazil this year as usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:26 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s15
well writ

I like henry and ronaldhino too much not to hope for a france/brazil final

oh man henry and ronaldhino on the one field ... so good

keen to catch some action of messi, will keep an eye for the young cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:24 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
Wallabies for the win : /

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:16 am 
Twin T51

Car: silbeer
:-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:07 am 
Token Black Guy

Car: 95 180
EVILS15 wrote:
oh man henry and ronaldhino on the one field ... so good

Dude, Champions League final this past May.

Arsenal (Henry) VS Barcelona (Ronaldinho)

Henry 1 - God 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:13 am 

Car: MKV Golf
I can't wait for it all to begin. :P I'll definately be testing out my new LCD tv by watching all of Australia's games, along with the finals.

I think the game against the Netherlands put us in good stead for a great start against Japan. What we lack in style and technique we really make up for with controlled aggression, which can work in our favour against unsuspecting teams. We have a definate chance of coming 2nd in our group.

We'll be at the Lowenbrau for the Japan game next Monday night sinking a few steins and cheering on the green and gold. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:18 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
van percier @ holland is damn good !

holland isnt going to win though :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:18 pm 
T28

Car: S12 coupe
1-1 with an understrength Australian side down to ten men for half an hour. Holland who? :D
Would like to see Germany do well but obviously not the highest of hopes. They are not nearly the team that made the final in 2002 and it's basically just the Michael Ballack show. Ohne Hamann und ohne Kahn bedeutet keine Moeglichkeit zu winnen.
Death to England, I hope they get knocked out in the group stages. Obviously it would be much better to see the Socceroos hand down another 3-1 thrashing but l don't think there's much of a chance of the two teams meeting.
Would rather see The Netherlands win than France, Italy, Argentina or Brazil but as long as the Socceroos give it a shake (maintaining Hiddink's perfect record of never missing a WC semi :D ) and England get knocked out really early with images of Beckham crying into his cornflakes beamed all over the world, l'll be reasonably satisfied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:12 pm 
Twin T04

Car: ek
GO THE AUSSIES!!!

Post subject: Go the Aussie's!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:13 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180sx - Type X
Only a few more day before it all kick off. me coming from portugiese background i would like to see then get to the final (wishful thinking i know) :lol:

The Fact that the Aussie have made it into the world cup has already started to increase australias interest in "football" you start to see more add on TV about, the newspaper are getting behind it, and there even starting to call it football and not soccer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:53 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: 2012 Golf TSI... least its boosted!
GO AUSSIES !!!!

Cahill is a champ for his two brilliant goals against Japan !!!

Should have been 3-0, that Japan goal in the first should have been called a foul, but we made it mean nothing in the end !!!

Bring on the next game... I can't wait :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:10 am 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHBABYYYYYYYYYYYYYY~~~!!!!~~!~@~!@~!2`21`2`12`131

*rips shirt off and runs around screeming at anything looking moderately japanese*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:12 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: 2012 Golf TSI... least its boosted!
18/2 Brazil vs. Australia.... this is going to be a interesting game... *cough*ass whooping *cough*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next