Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 1:00 pm 
TO4

Car: S14a
it cost me $900 in 3" mandrel bent mild steel with hi flow cat and resonator. I was thinking of going the stainless steel option, but i thought i might not even keep the car long enough before the mild steel gives me any problems. Btw thats supplying my own muffler. I love the sound of the Apexi N1 roaring! :D The thing is whenever you call to get a quote u always get a different price, i called up a week before and they quoted $100 higher, not sure how that works. Who knows i probably could have gotten a cheaper price if i kept trying every few days but it just gets too tedious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 5:50 pm 
TO4

Car: RB20DET Silvia
Sounds nice man!

Where did you pick up the Apexi N1 muffler from and how much did that set you back? I'm looking to get my exhaust system done and am still deciding between a Jap Import brand or just a local one. How much more expensiver would've stainless steel been? How much is a Trust, HKS, or Jun muffler gonna cost me? Also, I've never fully understood what a resonator does and where it is, could someone set me straight?

Sorry, so many questions :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 8:07 pm 
TO4

i found the N1 for sale in some classifieds a few months back, it was never used but i managed to get it for $450. I think it retails for $600 normally. To me id prefer a jap muffler because they tend to sound nicer (thats my opinion but others may disagree). As for the rest of the piping, id trust the local shops to do that as i dont see how paying $1500 for a jap cat back exhaust would be reasonable when u can buy the muffler separately and get the rest of the piping done all the way to the turbo for the same amount of money. I've found alot of exhaust shops charing between $300-$500 more for stainless but i guess that varies from shop to shop. For jap exhausts try looking at some online shops to see how much they cost. www.perfectrun.com.au is an aussie online shop that imports alot of stuff straight from japan. www.takakaira.com is a japanese online shop but can deliver to pretty much anywhere in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 10:10 pm 
TO4

Thanks for that 200. Cheers man :D

Now, can anyone answer my question about a resonator? I don't want someone to ask me about one one day coz I'll be like :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 11:00 pm 
TO4

woops forgot to answer that one, well basically a resonator just quietens the exhaust abit. I hate really loud and droney exhausts thats why i wanted one. Not sure how much louder mine would be without one though. I dont think ud lose much power from it either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 11:15 pm 
TO4

I've read where non-turbo s13 silvia's have a resonator in place of the stock intercooler of a turbo s13. Does this mean it has a resonator in the induction piping? Why is there a need for this? Wouldn't that reduce power, even a bit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:00 am 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
The intake resonator is a totally different thing, but working on a similar principle (resonance), although in a different way.

An exhaust resonator is basically a small straight through style muffler, which quietens the exhaust by creating a sound resonance in a chamber, which absorbs some of the energy (noise) from the exhaust gases.

The intake resonator is an empty plastic box conected onto the airbox to increase its effective volume. Its size is tuned to smoothe the flow of air at low to medium rpm to increase low end torque, and also to help quieten the intake. It shouldn't have any effect on top end power.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 2:14 pm 
T28

J wrote:
I got my cat-back done for 350 from this little place tucked away in castle hill. He's the cheapest I've found from looking around, and trust me, I looked! I didn't have the cash for a full turbo back, but he was going to charge me 800 for it - there was another guy about a block away, and he was pretty cheap too - he wanted 950 for a turbo-back. He looked kinda dodgy though. Hope this helps!

-J-

your probably talking bout hills motorsport and unique autosport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:54 pm 
T51

Nope, not them. I know those guys.

This place is called "castle hill exhaust centre". You gotta weave through a few backstreets in the industrial area, but they're pretty good. run by an old man and his son, so you know they ain't gunna rip you off cause it's a family business. They have this mental rx3 they're working on. It's unbelievable :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:18 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S14
Ahh auto plus. my sss is in getting fixed there atm...

theyre a bit dodgy i rkn, i wont be going back there (only went there because they were the warranty repairers on my car).

also for maximum power on an sr20de, us pulsar drivers have found a 2" mandrel bent system + headers to be more powerful than a 2/1/4 system. Dyno proven. 2/1/4 is better if youre planning head work thou. But once u put in a turbo block you'll be wanting something much bigger id think... So if the turbo swap is some way away go the 2" you'll be happy.

Hmm cant wait to have the money to drop a det into my sss ;D

cheers,
gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:37 pm 
T28 Hybrid

:P

Last edited by kng13s on Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:54 pm 
Twin T04

Car: SR20DET Navara and 2002 Lancer
post withdrawn due to price rage :oops: