Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:01 am 
T03

Car: 1992 Nissan 180sx ::SiL80::
okay,

im not a huge tech head on auto gauges ( im not hektic shift light with a 5" rpm etc etc kinda person ) I used SpitFire gauges on a 4agze twincam corolla hatch i built many years ago mechanical water filled gauges on the bonnet fuel press, oil press, water temp and a simular mechanical boost gauge in the cabin, they ended up being far from accurate and even faulty i had to remove both oil and fuel press at a later stage,

so my question is what gauges is everyone using and is it really worth spending the big bucks??? this time around im leaning toward autometre,

is it worth buying second hand??? im not into flashy bulls#!t i want accuracy reliability bang for buck

Kurtis

Insert useful information here --->

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:31 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Autometer have a huge following in the V8 crowd,but I've not been impressed with them.
I've had a couple in the past,and they were at best,over-glorified VDO quality. You'd be better off with actual VDO gauges.

From the japanese stuff,I own greddy,blitz and defi stuff,and have only been let down once,by a greddy boost controller. Defis are brilliant (literally and figuratively),but so is their price tag.
Greddy gauges have been fine for me,and the blitz boost gauge/turbo timer I have has been in 4 of my cars over 12 years,so that speaks for it's reliability.

I'd suggest that you have a good look at your budget and decide how much you want to spend,and how accurate and long lasting you need the gear to be.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:52 pm 
T51

Car: 92 S13 SILVIA
I use Apexi mechanical gauges , (boost, oil temp, oil pressure) i bought them all second hand (ebay) and have no issues with them at all they are accurate.From what i have heard Defi are the top of the range but they are expensive even second hand. i wouldnt buy brand new keep an eye on ebay you can find some real bargains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:49 pm 
T03

Car: 1992 Nissan 180sx ::SiL80::
yer i looked at some apexi and some greddy gauges greddy are resonably priced and seem to be of simular quality as autometre, still not sure hahas just gona keep shopping around i hate mixing gauges i want everything to be of the same series/brand

Z_Z

Kurtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:51 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Greddy > Autometer. I've never seen a japanese-branded gauge fail. I've seen several autometer boost gauges go bad.

Justin...