Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GAUGES
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:59 pm 
T51

Car: 92 S13 SILVIA
Guys just wanting some opinions and information bout gauges.Im looking at buying a dash gauge mould for my s13 put it on dash to see what it looked like,it looked good and easy to install.It holds 3 gauges, gauges im looking at are PIVOT just wondering if there any good ? has anyone else used them ? There electrical i was told that electrical gauges are better then mechanical for 2 reasons 1 there more accurate 2 there easier to repair.Is this true ? Would appreciate any info as im looking at buying them tomorrow.Was looking at hks gauges aswell but they were mechanical.Cheers guys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:40 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
mechanical gauges are more accurate than electric,but are illegal for street use.

I have a pivot digital speedo in my car,it's 8yrs old and still works perfectly. I wouldn't have a problem with recommending their equipment.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:04 pm 
T51

Mechanical more accurate ? i was told the opposite,anyone else confirm this ? Also why are they illegal for street use ? Thanks Fergo308 So pivot have good reputation ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:09 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
mechanical are illegal because you are running hot air, water and oil into the cabin; what if the guage breaks? 120'C oil burns you, thats what.

I dont know exactly why mechanical guages are more accurate.. but ill post some ideas;
- Mech. does the readings on the guage itself, electric does the readings in the engine bay, then sends the info to the cabin. There could be interference to the electric signal on its way from the sensor to the guage.
- Elec. guages use a small electric motor to move the needle. A slight variation in voltage/ampage (through a bigger battery, different resistors in the car etc) could make the motor move a different amount than it is supposed to. Mechanical guages will always move the needle the same amount for a given pressure/tempurature (unless theyre stuffed of course :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:13 pm 
T51

Ah ok yeah that makes sense,thanks for that info.Anyways back to the pivot brand anyone else heard about them ? good or bad ? anyone heard anyfing bad about dashmoulded gauges ? any problems ? Thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:17 pm 
Banned

pivot seems to be a pretty well known name. Ive never heard anything bad about them. If fergo says he thinks they are ok, chances are theyre OK ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:20 pm 
T51

Cool ill get them then.Thanks guys i hadnt heard of em before just was naturally gunna get HKS or Greedy.Pivot ones are a bit cheaper so just was suss bout the quality. Cheers guys great help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:28 pm 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
I dont think I would ever buy HKS gauges again, not that they are bad quality or anything but the fact that the instructions are all in Japanese is very annoying unless you can read it. Not a big deal for simple guages but the newer electric ones have a few functions that I couldnt work out due to no english info. English-language HKS distributors dont seem to care either unless you bought it from them.

I switched to Defi. Great guages if you have the money, but even they are pretty competatively priced now. Heaps of NS.com sponsors selling them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:49 pm 
T51

Yeah i looked at defi gauges abit more in cost but i guess you paying for the quality.The package im looking at getting includes dash mould specificly for s13 dash which holds three gauges boost,water temp and oil temp.I know boost gauge is easy to install just wondering bout water and oil temp gauges?
Anyfing to watch out for ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:59 pm 
Banned

If they are electrical, are they coming with wiring and senders? its all well and good to have guages, but you need something to hook them into :lol:

If it is coming with all senders and sensors, then youll need fittings to put the sensors into. eg. a sandwich plate under your oil filter to stick the oil temp/pressure sensor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:17 pm 
T51

Mmmm good question im unsure about that.I saw them today and all i know is that there brand new and still in box.I just assume everything u need would be included.Isnt that the case ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:20 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
senders should be included with electric gauges,but don't expect there to be suitable locations to fit them to be conveniently available for any application.

as mentioned,you will need a sandwich plate,or a T-piece may be able to be used,teed into the std sender location to run the oil gauges. water temp can be drilled and tapped into the top hose outlet coming out of the head,or you may be able to get a greddy sender block that goes in-line in the top hose to fit,depending on it's length. this isn't an option in an S14 or 15,so I would guess that it'd be the same for a 13.

btw,I'd be getting oil pressure before temp. pressure is more important a factor to know than temp if you're limited to only 3 gauges. cool oil at low pressure still means a dead engine,more so than overheating oil at correct pressure. ideally you should get four,water temp,oil pressure,oil temp,and boost,in that order. put the boost on the pillar,and the other three on the top of the dash,where you can see them all the time.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:41 pm 
T51

Ok ill take that all into consideration thanks mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:14 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
Arkhaeon wrote:
- Elec. guages use a small electric motor to move the needle. A slight variation in voltage/ampage (through a bigger battery, different resistors in the car etc) could make the motor move a different amount than it is supposed to. Mechanical guages will always move the needle the same amount for a given pressure/tempurature (unless theyre stuffed of course :lol: )

im pretty sure as with most other electronic devices, the circuitry would have an inbuilt power/voltage regulator as its pretty important.

i doubt there would be much difference in accuracy between a mech and an electric gauge, the sensors are the same, the electric simply have signal manipulation. there may be more delay in the electric in that sensor data has to be transmitted to the gauges stepper motor, then the stepper motor will react and turn the needle, but again i think the difference would be negligible.

anyways for any temp measurement, that sort of delay wont matter at all, MAYBE for boost gauge, but you can run mech boost gauges, there not illegal, as far as i know 'hot' air in cabin is ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:05 pm 
Banned

Im pretty sure of that too, but i was pulling any possible reason I could think of out of my
ive got Defis in my car, and they seem to do the job pretty well (all electric)