Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:49 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 180SX
Fellow Silvia members,

I have seen a few people asking what D2 coilovers are like. I bought a set about 3 months ago and have been to 2 drift events since I fitted them, so I thought I give my initial feedback.

After the first outting (on D2s) at Wakefield, I bent 1 front shaft

I bought a replacement shock from Just Jap for only $250 and was very happy with how quick, cheap and easy they were to repair.

On my second outting at Opran Park last weekend, I bent both front shafts.

In the past I have drifted with King springs in standard struts (on my 180sx :( that was hard), then GAB coilovers (on my 180sx) and Zeal coilovers (on my s15) but this is the first time I have ever bent a shock.

Remember, this is only my experience specific to drift applicatons and I am sure there are many people out their who use their D2s for street and circuit and are very happy with them. And as I said, Just Jap were brilliant with their support and spare parts back up.

This is not a dig at D2 or Just Jap.

I am not telling anyone not to buy D2s, I am just providing feedback on my personal experience with the product in a drift application so other drifters who are considering this product have a good range of opinions to help their decision.

I am sure they bent because I ran the front wheels over the ripple strip on a few laps, but I have always done this (not by choice - just lack of consistency) and none of my other suspension has bent.

In fact when I was learning to drift in my S15, the Zeals copped an absolute flogging as I felt my way through through every rut and hole on the course, but they stood up the the task without a glitch.

The D2s have copped less punishment than the other suspension I have run so far.

I hope others find this feedback useful.

PJ

S15 powered drift 180SX - sold

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:57 am 
TO4

Car: A boat..
Very nice feedback mate. It sort of puts me off but I'm more interested in getting a set for the street (90%) and track/circuit (0%) so I'm not how it applies. Having that said I'm sure drifting puts a LOT of stress on the struts/shafts, but the fact that its still enough to bend them says something.

But yes theres been a few good positive feedback stories too, a fellow GTiR member said his are very firm and nice on the road (track spec) but are hella stiff - also confirmed by another member who is running JIC's.

Hmm I thought you would have been covered by the 1 year warranty they provide? This is a main reason why I'm considering - figured if they're going to fark up on me they'd do it within a year and then I could get it replaced/repaired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:25 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
most warranties on parts are void the minute you drive onto a race track.

clearly you get what you pay for here. to get the out there at the price they're going for they have to cut corners somewhere. looks like you've found one of the places they have. in the damper shafts.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:49 am 
Twin T66

Car: S15
I think HSD claim that their warranty extends to the track for drift work etc etc as well?....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:59 am 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
my mate has a set of D2s in his R33 GTS-25t, and although it handles really well (for a whale, i was impressed), and the ride quality was still ok - the coilovers have started leaking after only 2 months of use! He hasnt even seen the track yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:51 pm 
TO4

Car: A boat..
HSD and D2 are two seperate companies as far as I'm aware. Yeah I guess you do get what you pay for, I'm in prcoess in organising a group buy that might not kick off until the end of the year. Might give me some more time to gain more feedback on them.

On the other hand I might try organising a GB for the Tein Super Streets, althought $2200~ single set isn't a bad price at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:58 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
I remember you doing that shaft in at wakefield, thats a bit dodgy i think. My cuscos have handled alot of abuse including being airborne a few times and a few sideway skips over ripplestrips etc.
Perhaps not the best choice for the budding drifter then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:30 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
hey I snapped a Bilstein on the way home from work :)

Still, other parts should break before the damper shaft bends.
That should be some very strong stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:01 pm 
T51

Car: 180sx
Andi wrote:

On the other hand I might try organising a GB for the Tein Super Streets, althought $2200~ single set isn't a bad price at all.

Perfectrun can get u a set of Super Streets for around $1900 delivered to your place with all taxes and shipping. They said turnaround time of around 10 days.

Hope that helps.

Also, thanx for the feedback of the D2's, I've been comparing the D2 and HSD coilovers to the Japs for some time now. For me, it's either getting the budget ones from D2 or HSD [~$1300 from memory], or spend $1900 to get the Jap. ones.

Thought about getting 2nd hand, but it's not worth it.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:18 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
if anyones interested a sponsor is selling HKS hypermax II's for $1900 also delivered to your door

i wouldnt buy d2's with all the negative feedback thats out there.. there were a few people complaining about issues with fitting as well

to quote a dealer of d2's, autobarn:

Quote:
we have now had all sets we sold come back with warranty issues.......

the latest.... an evo set actually broke both the rear camber plates (poor material).... after 15,000km of normal street use (older customer) great build quality?????..... now there is a new D2 owner/distributer he is not offering warranty on items sold before he took over.....great service????

and with a selling price of $1700, there only 200 cheaper then HKS hypermax's. for what seems an inferior product, the pricing isnt all too great/competetive

edit: HSD's what brand are they ?

Last edited by mokompri on Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:51 pm 
T51

Car: 180sx
Havent heard much about HSD coilovers, but they were advertising in the same mags as D2. The ads were similar in design to the D2's, and I class them in the same catergory [unknown - buy at own risk].

Ah, found the ad:

http://www.otomoto.com.au/HDSystems/index.htm

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:05 am 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
HSD cant be too bad, look at Otomoto who distribute them- they also are agents for OS Giken. I doubt a distributor would have one top shelf Japanese company along side a line of shitty quality stuff. Then again, stranger things have and do happen.

Post subject: shocks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:23 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Nebuchernezzer wrote:
I remember you doing that shaft in at wakefield, thats a bit dodgy i think. My cuscos have handled alot of abuse including being airborne a few times and a few sideway skips over ripplestrips etc.
Perhaps not the best choice for the budding drifter then?

Exactly;

If they were quality (like your Cuscos) they would not have bent, even under drift conditions.

I've decided to cut my losses and have replaced the D2s with a set of Drummond Motorsport coilovers. Apparently these guys specilaise in the rally and race car market.

They have inverted shocks with 40mm front shafts and chrome moly bodies, so I'll be really surprised if these suckers bend.

I'll put some feedback up after I've used them a few times.

PJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:55 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
how much did the DMS coilovers set you back if you dont mind me asking

Post subject: DMS
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:16 pm 
T04 Hybrid

mokompri wrote:
how much did the DMS coilovers set you back if you dont mind me asking

$1200 for the front pair with no tops at all. I've used the D2 adjuustable camber tops on them with a machined spacer

Next Saturday there is a drift event at Oran so I'l find out how good they are

PJ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next