Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engineer's Certificates
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:58 pm 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
Hi All...

as most of you may know i got my car back! WOO!...
as well as my car, i ordered an engeering report to be carried out on my car and an engineers certificate issued to me, to cover the whole car.

It cost me $600 and all i can say is so far it has been worth every cent. Previously when i was defected, my defects cost me combined (i got done twice) about $1300 total.

As most of u would also know, my car sticks out like dogs balls. It is bright fucking yellow with plates and a nice green P plate on the back just saying "ILL BEND OVER FOR YOU TO DO ME, MR. POLICEMAN"

It has just been 1 week since i got my car, and i got pulled up by none other than Mr. Sergent of Fairfield Police Station. Old guy, in the highway patrol type cars with the radars.

Now, i wasnt speeding, i was at traffic lights. I drove down Polidng Street, and as i was driving, i saw the copper fly straight to me. I indicated, and turned into Granville Street and sure enough he followed and put on his Party Hat and turned on the party lights. And so the story goes a lil something like this....

"License Please"

-Yes Officer

...looks at my car....

"Give it a rev"

-Yes officer

...i rev to 3000rpm nice purr out of the XForce Exhuast

"What kind of exhuast is that?"

-Full Xforce Turbo Back Exhuast with Catalytic Converter and Resonater Officer!

...gives me weird look; then checks my front bar, then stares at my wheels...

"Wheres your tyre placard?"

...I show him my tyre placard...

"That isnt a tyre placard!"

-Then you tell me what it is officer!

..He has a closer look and then says...

"Your only allowed to have 16's they are 18's"

at this point i am just laughing to myself and just have had enough

...open glovebox - shows officer engineers certificate...

-Its all been engineered anyway officer. Better to follow the rules of the law and be safe rather than get caught doing something illegal!

...officer checks it out...

"How much did this cost you?"

now i thought it was a bit weird he asked me that, as it was none of his business

-One Thousand Dollars Officer!

"1000 bucks!? Was it worth it?"

-Well, what do you think???

he just handed me my license and walked off.

Now, all you people out there, with heavy modded cars, do the right thing, fuck up the police power to defect you. Get your car engineered, and most important make it comply legally with all the road rules. You will never get caught out again. If a police officer still wants to be a dick and defect you for your fully engineered front mount, etc, it will just cost you 10 dollars for the clearance of the defect. And if fined, you can also appeal, and of course you will win.

hope you enjoyed my lil story for today.

-mark

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:05 pm 
Twin T66

Car: Pulsar GTiR
did greg do it too

im gonna take mine to him too when its finished !

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:40 pm 
Village Idiot

Car: S15
Welcome to the side that has seen the light :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:58 pm 
Quad T88

yeh greg got someone to do it for me.

brenton_s15, it is good to join you brother!@!@!!@

:D

hah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:54 pm 
T78

Car: 180 Sr20d3t
are you guys talking about greg at autosport?? im looking for someone good atm
i want to get mine done next year after ive got the t28 on there- how long does it take-i assume all they do is go over the car and check everything is nice and safe??
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited by dorifto on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:59 pm 
Village Idiot

I assume they also make sure that the car and modifications are actually legal too :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:09 pm 
T78

Car: 180 Sr20d3t
umm yeah that too :P
________
KissMeWell

Last edited by dorifto on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:08 am 
Village Idiot

BLISTC wrote:
brenton_s15, it is good to join you

The silly thing is that I've never been pulled over. Perhaps the alternative to an Engineers Certificate is to be over 40 years of age and loosing your hair :lol:

BTW, don't forget to take your rego papers and Engineers Report to the RTA. Take the second copy with you as they will keep it. When you do this, they will enter the details of the Engineers Report on their system and print you a new rego sticker and papers. These will show that the report has been lodged with the RTA. If you don't do this, the Engineers Report is really worthless and you could still be defected if anyone does a check on the vehicle. This info is often relayed to the patrol car if they do a check on you while you are moving, which they will often do; you would be surprised how often they locate stolen cars or felons this way. This could also result in you not being pulled over for driving a car which has obviously been modified. It costs nothing, just a bit of time.

BTW, being over 40 and balding does not stop them from doing a check on the vehicle or driver :P
Between you and me, I'm happy to know that they do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:20 am 
Quad T88

ahahaha

yes greg at autosport engineering took my car to another place to get it engineered.

cost me $600

yes all mods have to be legal in order for you to engineer it in the first place, example, box around the pod, exhuast decible test, and BOV arent engineerable unless 100% plumback, so dont expect it to be on the report if u have one. ride height is also not an engineerable thing, suspension is though.

-mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:42 am 
Village Idiot

A few things to condsider.

If you leave anything off of the Engineering Report, the Report itself is worthless. If you have modified your suspension and the clearances etc are legal and within the statutes, you can have this documented on the report.

In short, if you are going to get an Engineers Report, please do it properly. If you use Greg at Autosport (or anyone really), then discuss it with Greg first. Work with Greg and the Engineer to ensure that you car complies with ALL of the requirements.

If they tell you they can't certify something, ask them why and also ask what you need to do to have it certified. Then do it.

Don't think that you can be smart and slip something by them. Sure you might be able to do that, but they don't loose anything if you do this. You are the one who looses as your report is not valid. Therefore it is worthless and you have wasted your money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:39 am 
Quad T88

good point brenton_s15

i gave instructions to greg as to i wanted EVERYTHING engineerd, so they went over the car with a fine tooth comb.

everything from seat belts, to parker lights, to revere lamps and tyre sizes.

money well invested!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:01 pm 
T66

Car: S14a
I've got heaps of stuff left off my engineers report Cams, Injectors, Pump, NA Throttle Body etc.

Do you really need to engineer every mod ? I've only engineered the stuff you (ie the police) can see which i think is really all that matters.

If i ever get pulled over and the officer says "Hmm your idle sounds a bit rough you must have some HKS Step 1's in there" then he deserves to defect me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:32 pm 
Village Idiot

For the report to be valid it should detail all of the modifications, even those you can't see. While someone might think it is smart to only detail those that can be seen, doing this can bite you in the backside real quick. If your car is involved in an accident, an insurance company or the police may investigate and discover that you have modifications that have not been certified. This can often result in immediate refusal on an otherwise valid claim and/or charges being laid against you even if you were not technically in the wrong.

Any police officer can issue a defect if he has reason to suspect the vehicle does not comply. Things like CAMS although subtle, are obvious. What a lot of people fail to realise is that most Highway Patrol police are car enthusiasts too. They know a lot more about cars than many people give them credit for. You should see some of the machinery many of them own personally. While they may still issue you a defect for something you feel is unjustified, this is usually done for a good reason. To get you to have the car inspected and certified, or to pay you back for being a smart-arse or giving them attitude. Unfortunately, most people don’t realise this and then start pissing money against the wall ripping mods out, getting the defect cleared, putting the mods back on, loop.

Even with a valid Engineers Report, if you act like a smart-arse, you will get defected and rightly so in my opinion. The police are doing their job and if they weren’t everyone would be squealing like stuck pigs. You must also remember that their job is one for which they receive absolutely no thanks and they usually see people when they are at their worst.

If you have rims and tyres that are legal, they should be detailed on the report also. Even though they come under the category of an Owner Certifiable item, it just clarifies it and removes any question as to their legality.

The bottom line is that you paid good money to get an Engineers Report and the items you mentioned are certifiable. By omitting those items, the only person you have really cheated is yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:04 pm 
T66

Car: S14a
Brenton_S15 wrote:
Even with a valid Engineers Report, if you act like a smart-arse, you will get defected and rightly so in my opinion.

Thats what it comes down to if your a smart ass you will almost always get done, even if you have everything from cams to your momo pedals engineered....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:22 pm 
Village Idiot

nissan97t wrote:
Thats what it comes down to if your a smart ass you will almost always get done, even if you have everything from cams to your momo pedals engineered....

Yeah, but they won't do you for the CAMS or Momo pedals :lol: