Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:27 pm 
Quad T88

Car: *insert car here*
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25 ... 77,00.html

EW laws making it an offence to raise or lower a car's suspension without proper approval is about saving lives, New South Wales Roads Minister Michael Daley says.

From August 1, car owners will be limited to raising or lowering their suspension by no more than five centimetres, and all modifications will need approval from Roads and Traffic Authority engineers.

Currently, a car can be raised or lowered by up to five centimetres without approval and by up to 15 centimetres with approval.

Mr Daley says while drivers may think a lowered car looks "cool" it really is dangerous and any adjustment of more than five centimetres doesn't belong on the road.

"I don't want to see young hoons putting their lives or the lives of others at risk, just because they think their car looks better 15 centimetres closer to the ground," Mr Daley said.

"Raising or lowering a vehicle's height can put the driver, passengers and other road users at risk.

"It can affect handling, braking and safety features such as electronic stability control."

Any vehicle that is raised or lowered after August 1 will have to carry a certificate stating that the modifications confirm to safety standard requirements.

opinions ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:14 pm 
T03

Car: 180sx
Man i hate these new twat laws,acting as though they know about cars. So does this mean the police are guna have information on every car for specs in there computers or do u think theyll follow a general standard? As im pretty sure most cars would come out standard quite low already,especially sports cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:26 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 200sx s15
I love how they just refer to people who lower/raise their cars as "hoons".

I know a few oldies who have raised 4WD's for when they go fishing out in the sticks

or the audi Q7's which you can lower or raise the suspension with the push of a button. what is the "correct" height for them if it is automatically adjustable with no set height? Or is that OK because it comes standard with the car? How is that fair on older cars that obviously didn't come with this option?

They never think it through fully. Thats my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:17 pm 
Quad T88

nsw government is f***ed
o h wells, its the law & everyone has to abide by them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:33 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: S13 Silbeer and OneEighty wife mobile
Target: "but officer, my car was lowered before the 1st of August !!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:02 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I don't have a problem with this. like all other defects,you have to get caught doing the wrong thing for it to be a problem,and if your car hasn't been modified properly and isn't maintained in a safe condition,then you deserve whatever you get from the law.

you can go lower than 2" with an engineer's certificate,so there really isn't any real issue with this change.
if you need more than 2" down from std, do the work properly and prove that you have to an engineer and you're good to go.
slam your car with chopped springs on std shocks and don't bother with fixing the alignment or about wheel clearance,and you'll get reamed.
suits me.

maybe some of those towering 4wds out there that are cobbled together with questionable engineering will finally get their comeuppance.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:09 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
My engineer's certificate say's "conferms to 100mm of ground clearence" "Aftermarkit tein coilovers installed corectly" says nothing about how much it has been lowered from stock just that it is lowered but has legal 100mm of clearence...

So that meen my cetificate meens shit all with these new laws?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:05 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180sx
it would be nice if they cracked on car thieves instead of car owners for a change

oh well was saving up for set of adjustable coilovers but now i think I'll get some koni yellows instead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:26 pm 
Twin T04

Car: 92 Silvia Q, 93 180sx
JayS14 wrote:
My engineer's certificate say's "conferms to 100mm of ground clearence" "Aftermarkit tein coilovers installed corectly" says nothing about how much it has been lowered from stock just that it is lowered but has legal 100mm of clearence...

So that meen my cetificate meens shit all with these new laws?

I doubt it. Thats a news item, not a RTA policy.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents/do ... rhoons.pdf

Read that. Thats the Ministerial statement. I draw your attention to:
Quote:
“The changes also mean any modifications must meet specific requirements such as the vehicle having at least 10 centimetres ground clearance.

I would surmise that the statement "a car can be raised or lowered by up to five centimetres without approval and by up to 15 centimetres with approval." is being used as an example and will not, in of itself, become the new requirement.

At least I fucking hope so, or my engineer certificate is void as well.

Still, the propaganda and vitriolic rhetoric espoused by the NSW goverment is sickening. Pack of fuckwits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:55 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
It's just confirmation of the direction the government has been taking for the last few years.

Lowered cars is an easy one to get people for, in much the same way as BOV's, pods and loud exhausts.

I'd be very surprised to see existing engineers certificates deemed invalid. The government would be opening themselves up to a heap of potential law suits as the ADR's (which your car is confirmed to conform with) haven't changed, just the enforcement of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:01 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
This is a load of bullshit.

Many people have spent thousands of dollars to modify their suspension lower their cars LEGALLY (and to do it properly could costs thousands), and now the government is changing the goal posts to say they need to spend another $1000 on a ripoff engineers certificate to make their previously legal car legal again? I also wonder if the RTA will be increasing the fee for registering an engineers certificate, as if they aren't enough of a rort

There already is a law that states that a car needs to have 100mm clearance, and there is already one to stop the 4wd guys raising it more than 150mm. Lets bet that there are absolutely no 4wd owners ever defected and they only target cars they couldn't defect previously (ie legally lowered ones).

Also, are they going to carry around a book with a listing of standard heights for all cars ever made? I fucking think not. What they will do is defect you if they even suspect your car has been lowered

This is going to kill the minitruck scene, and all those hektik Foresters that have been lowered 150mm legally

What's next? Making red cars illegal because they look faster?

Bunch of fucking scumbag bureaucrats

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:13 am 
Quad T88

i agree strongly with tmb on this.
its complete & utter bullsh*t.
defect & fines are gonna go up 100% after aug 1, every car they suspect is lowered (mainly p plater & sport cars/imports) will get done.
$10 they will let off normal 4 door family cars that are lowered such as fords & holdens in which i see so many of them which are lowered and have like 22" fa99it rims on.

as dave said, i wouldn't be suprised if engineer's cert prices go up too :evil:

it would be funny if a STOCK CAR with STOCK SUSPENSION gets defected for being lowered, oh boy if that was me, i'd be bloody furious.

i said it before and ill say it again, NSW government sucks a##

they're just going to ban ALL BRIGHT coloured cars period, because it blinds the eyes off old seniors and distracts them when they;re vision is already fken shot yet they're still driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 am 
Twin T51

Car: 200sx s15
I think it is more directed towards P platers with commonwhores that have had hacksawed springs.

But still, Im seeing it as another excuse for the government to drill money out of any cars, especially imports (its bad enough as it is) and an excuse for them to further go over cars. It pretty much means all engineering certificates are useless because "a new law" has come into play, and is no longer valid.

and how does lowering your car automatically make you a hoon?! fucking :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 am 
Quad T88

who knows bb, the government is too busy smoking crack to give a rats a$$ about anyone besides themselves.

they probably think you're a hoon just for beeping your horn ffs

some bitch pinkied me as i beeped her for cutting me off,
wanted to crack her in the face

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:37 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
whyte wrote:
it would be funny if a STOCK CAR with STOCK SUSPENSION gets defected for being lowered, oh boy if that was me, i'd be bloody furious.

It happens in SA fairly regularly as they use the height of the guard as their guide. 20 year old sagging springs means the car fails the test....