Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EPA Question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:30 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: Silvia s13
On the 5th of this month I recieved a letter saying that someone had reported my car being too loud so the DECC wanted me to go to one of their approved stations to get it tested out.

On the letter they sent one of the stipulations was that if I could prove my car was off the road for repairs then I didn't have to attend, so I took photos of my licence plate, Chassis number and the hole in the engine bay where I've taken out the exhaust manifold & turbo to put in a new turbo because the old one has had it and I sent it into them explaining that I was fixing up the car, cancelling the rego and it was not going back into the road.

I'd heard nothing back and assumed it was okay, and since then I have stripped out most of the interior,dash wiring, air con and have cancelled the registration on it.
Today I recieved another letter stating 'that an authorised officer reasonably suspects or is satisfied that the motor vehicle does not comply with State environment legislation' and that I have until the 02/04/09 to get it to an approved DECC inspection station or they will slap me with a defect notice

I'm just wondering now that its unregistered (and also undriveable at the moment) will I still have to get it tested and passed to be able to drive it on the track or can I just ring them and inform them again the car is not going to be street driven?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:47 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Write them another letter.

Attach you rego cancellation

tell them to jam it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:08 pm 
T03 Hybrid

will do, thanks for the quick reply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:36 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
Yep completely agree. I'd even ignore it to be honest. As far as I know, the RTA has no jurisdiction over cars unless they are road registered.

Otherwise you could write them a letter and tell them to lick your sweaty ballsack

Actually I could write the letter for you if you like :-D

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:12 pm 
T03 Hybrid

too_much_boost wrote:
Actually I could write the letter for you if you like :-D

Your the third person who's offered to write a letter on my behalf to them and let them know what they think about their idea of sending me a notice for inspection (seems alot of people are more than happy to express their opinions to the RTA) :P

I'm sure they'd all be quite colourful letters that will truley make the day of the person who is the unlucky one that reads it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:13 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Based on the general idiocy of some government departments i think it's worthwhile sending a response for the simple reason that they are likely to issue fines on top of the red sticker for non compliance.

If it goes to court you can show you have responded, de rego'd the car and as such they no longer have any legal means to get money out of you or hassle you.

On second thought i'd go to the post office or office works and fax it if possible, that way you have a transmittal from a 3rd party to confirm that it was sent as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:15 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
I doubt they can fine him when there is no proof that he has actually done anything wrong. Remember that he got requested to attend EPA because some random with a grudge dobbed him in

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:22 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
Dear Mr RTA,

I am writing in relation to a notice I received from the DECC stipulating that my vehicle was excessively loud, and that I had to attend an approved station for my vehicle to be checked.

Well, Mr RTA, it is your unlucky day in the revenue stakes. You see, unlike other poor unsuspecting chaps, I have cut my losses and run.

Not wanting to be bent over a work bench by some under-appreciated public servant, I have taken the rather extreme measure of canceling my registration.

As far as I am aware, this means that you can't actually issue me with any infringement notices or defects henceforth. In reality, I can now do whatever I want to my car.

To compensate for not being able to drive my car legally on the street anymore, I will be ensuring that it emits at least TWICE the amount of pollution it did prior to the DECC notification I received.

Yes, you read right. I've removed the EGR system, removed the catalytic converter, removed the stock air box, removed the oxygen sensor, installed an aftermarket computer, and I have also taken up smoking. Did I mention that as my car is now a dedicated drift car, that I will be using a full set of tyres each track day I attend?

Polluting the environment was never so fun.

Up yours, and have a nice day,
Vitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:23 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

hasn't complied with a direction to present the car for inspection.

Whether they can fine you or not (i'd say they probably can) you are covered by sending something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:09 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: S13 Silvia
Fark me.

'Someone' merely reporting your car and you have to take it to get inspected.

Send them the second letter as proof as you dont want any unnessary headaches that no doubt these idiots could possibly inflict.

Then call them and give them a blasting just for the sake of it - for making you advise them twice of the circumstances and wasting your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 pm 
T03 Hybrid

badhairdave wrote:
On second thought i'd go to the post office or office works and fax it if possible, that way you have a transmittal from a 3rd party to confirm that it was sent as well.

I'm going to send it by Registered post like I did the first letter to prove i sent it and it was recieved.

too_much_boost wrote:
Remember that he got requested to attend EPA because some random with a grudge dobbed him in.

I'm quite sure I know who dobbed me in seeing as I recieved the letter a week after I pulled the car off the road.

SRS13 wrote:
'Someone' merely reporting your car and you have to take it to get inspected.

Unfortunatly it is too easy for someone to get pulled up by the EPA and required to get a inspection.

I Want A Silvia - I lol'd when I read your "letter" to the RTA, very nicely put :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:33 am 
TO4

Car: s15
i want a silvia wrote:
Dear Mr RTA,

I am writing in relation to a notice I received from the DECC stipulating that my vehicle was excessively loud, and that I had to attend an approved station for my vehicle to be checked.

Well, Mr RTA, it is your unlucky day in the revenue stakes. You see, unlike other poor unsuspecting chaps, I have cut my losses and run.

Not wanting to be bent over a work bench by some under-appreciated public servant, I have taken the rather extreme measure of canceling my registration.

As far as I am aware, this means that you can't actually issue me with any infringement notices or defects henceforth. In reality, I can now do whatever I want to my car.

To compensate for not being able to drive my car legally on the street anymore, I will be ensuring that it emits at least TWICE the amount of pollution it did prior to the DECC notification I received.

Yes, you read right. I've removed the EGR system, removed the catalytic converter, removed the stock air box, removed the oxygen sensor, installed an aftermarket computer, and I have also taken up smoking. Did I mention that as my car is now a dedicated drift car, that I will be using a full set of tyres each track day I attend?

Polluting the environment was never so fun.

Up yours, and have a nice day,
Vitty

thats the best bit of the letter
________
Amateur Video

Last edited by chindodood on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:04 am 
T03 Hybrid

I doubt the RTA would find that part..or any part really to be the 'best' bit, if I was to send in a letter somewhat written like the one above (and the thought has crossed my mind) they'd probably try and defect/fine me for being a smart ass and say I refused to comply with their requests.

While on this topic, when people are requested to go to one of the approved stations to get tested does the workshop pass on part of the $60 fee or possibly more if they defect you & you have to return to get it rechecked to the DECC or are they getting slightly more richer thanks to the government?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:26 am 
T66

Car: granpa's jz83 cressida
gota love the d.e.c.c :D. i know i do lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:08 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: S14
badhairdave wrote:
If it goes to court you can show you have responded, de rego'd the car and as such they no longer have any legal means to get money out of you or hassle you.

I bet the RTA wouldn't be to happy about that!....

F*cking RTA....fix Parramatta rd. already.. *rolls eyes*