Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Defect Thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:43 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
I'm looking to make my Sil80 a bit less defectable so I can feel relatively comfortable driving it on the street without being hassled by the fuzz. Its now got stock (looking) airbox, plumb-back BOV, quiet-ish exhaust and i've hidden the boost controller under the airbox. Its also not hideously low

I thought it might be a good opportunity to get an idea what people have been defected for, and where they got done, and how many times so others know what they need to have to do to avoid defect dramas.

Also references to cheap engineers would be handy

I've been defected twice. Once in the Cefiro about 500m from home. I got done for too low, too loud and pod (BOV was already plumbed-back)
I got sent for AUVIS inspection so I put an R32 stock airbox in it, raised it up and put a 'flange with holes drilled' in the exhaust to shut it up. Most AUVIS stations I called wanted an engineers cert for ANY mod, Luckily i found one who wasn't so concerned about that.

The other time i got defected was at the street drags at Appin (this is bad mkay) about 12 years ago. I was in my dads mini and got defected for
*Excess play in seats
*Excess play in handbrake
*Excess play in steering
*Missing wheel nut
*Oil leak

Back then you had to get defects passed at the RTA inspection station. The 'excess play' defects were garbage and I didn't have to change anything to pass. There was no oil leak so that passed. Wheel nut was fixed, but the RTA defected it for half dozen new things.

Also could people not talk about 'dodgy blue slips' or anything like that? I don't want to have to clean up the thread

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Last edited by too_much_boost on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:14 pm 
Twin T04

Car: R34 GTR Vspec II Nur
Been defected 3 times, 1 in the 180 and 2 in the s14.

1st Time: Defected for no rear seats, no reverse lights, too low, wheels/tyres too wide, non standard exhaust, pod filter

S14:
1st Time: Defected for pod filter and wheels outside the guards (too wide)

2nd Time: Defected for pod filter, oil leak (which didnt exist), gauges inside crumple zone (on a pillar), headunit not bolted in (was cable tied in), petrol smell inside car (had 2 jerry cans from track day in there)

First time in the S14 and the only time in the 180 were just random defects, second time in the S14 when I was caught speeding. I was given 7 days to get a blue slip for the 180, 7 days and a pink slip for the s14 and the second time for the s14 I was given a red sticker and had to tow it home from Mittagong, not the best of nights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:18 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

reaper wrote:
non standard exhaust

Is this what they are getting people for who have quiet aftermarket exhausts? Or did you have a cannon or something on there?

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:55 pm 
T88

Car: kouki 14
:lol:

first time about 18 months ago in the Near stock 180, leaving camden, on the way back from oranpark
-boost controller
-BOV
-exhaust too loud,
-exhaust too low

full blue slip inspection, had to get motor engine numbers change details (was done by a old owner so i had to get a stat dec to say i was unaware). inspertor didnt care about pod ect.

2nd time in the s14 in november, thirlmere, round the corner from my hose when i was checking coilovers were ok
RED LABLED :(
-red labled for seatbelts not widing back quick enough (even though it was because the 14s have a little thing to hold the seatbelt away from the pillar and if not at the right angle didnt go back all the way)
-pod filter
-exhaust too loud
-BOV
-battry not secure
-brake light out
-bottom of rear seat not bolted in
fixed it all and got it "inspected", plumb back bov, enclosed pod, quite exhaust ect

3rd time, s14 again, last weekend, cumberland hwy near canley vale, given 1 hour to get home and 2 weeks to clear begore rego cancled or whatever
-too low (wasnt impressed at <30mm clearence)
-warning device not working (ie horn not hooked up)
-check exhaust volume

need to get a pink slip and a exhaust shop print out. sill need to clear it :lol:

officer liked my plumback bov and the fact i wasnt driving the car when i lost it for driving it the 1st time the 14 got defected :P

yet funny my NA s13 with wheels hanging out the gaurds and load exhaust never got defecte :lol:

Last edited by (Locky) on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 pm 
Twin T04

Car: R34 GTR Vspec II Nur
the 180 exhaust was a cannon, but it also had a centre muffler and a functioning cat at that time so was fairly quiet

they didnt say it was too loud they just saw it wasnt standard

this was the same night chris got defected in the goblin. we were in a bp station getting fuel when some cops walked up and took our licenses and made them follow us to a defect station :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
I have never been defected. That said, I am paranoid about it happening.

Hence with my latest S13 I'm making a concerted effort to keep it squeaky clean and/or sleeper, meaning:

Stock intercooler, but when I get another FMIC I am getting custom black piping
Stock airbox
Quietish exhaust (this is cheaper than you think, I have a full Xforce turbo back exhaust and it is pretty quiet at idle)
Legal tinting
Not too low

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:16 pm 
Twin T51

Car: coon
Yeah wrong place wrong time, however that was the only time I was defected, probably because I was with you and your junker.

Pretty much everything got listed that night.
- too low
- no horn
- seatbelt retraction too slow
- blanket emmissions (this covered anything to do with intake and exhaust but surprisingly didn't require an epa inspection)
- roll cage etc...

They were the obvious ones I can remember, there was no sticker and I was given 14 days to clear the defects while still able to drive. Could of been a lot worse, they were pretty nice about the whole thing and it mostly because of our attitude and because the defects weren't actually affecting our safety. Tyres were good (for once), all lights worked etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:08 pm 
T78

Car: xxxxx
Twice in the 31. Kinda asking for it though as it was a track car and had huge stickers all over it

1st time: Yellow - drove past some cops and jumed off the gas incase I was speeding, BOV sounded and they got me at the next se of lights.

Pod filter
BOV
No door trim
Gauge
Sharp edge on front guard

2nd time: Yellow - followed for 10 mins before pulled over for a "random" breath test. On the way to the track so the rear had 12 tyres stacked to the roof, kinda obvious

Pod filter
Exhaust
No nylock nuts on suspension
Gauge
Too low
Coke bottle catch can
+ more stuff I cant remember

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:23 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Killabeez wrote:
No nylock nuts on suspension

WTF?

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:31 pm 
T78 Hybrid

Car: s13
i got redlabled in the silvia 1 day before i sold it

got done for indicators not bright enough
too low too much camber
non standard exhaust
non stander airfilter even though it was all enclosed
no water in washer bottle
back seat was loose right rear seatbelt did not retract fast enough
park lights not working
high beam not bright enough
horn not working
etc etc
i still got defect paper some where
the worst one was camber i didnt know u could get done for camber -not camber wear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:40 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Vehicle defects are about the only part of law where you are guilty until proven innocent.

You can defected for anything that the cop makes up, and it is then up to you to take the time and expense to prove that 'defect' isn't a defect.

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:52 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
no nylocs is questionable. any suspension/steering mounting point (such as tie rods or ball joints) is required by the relevant ADRs to have secured fasteners. these can be castleated nuts (nuts with slots that you put split pins or lock-wire through) OR nylocs.

seatbelt retraction speed is also questionable. the tensioners need to prevent the belt reeling OUT in a hurry,not in. how fast they go back in is irrelevant to the belt's operation as a safety device which is designed to keep you in,and against the seat in an accident.
current model cars with explosive pre-tensioners make that point even more moot than it already was.

I've seen someone get defected for excessive camber before. the idea behind it is that something is likely bent or damaged for the wheel to have an excessive angle compared to a 'normal' car.
excessive camber as we all know reduces traction and increases bump steer in most suspension systems - which is a safety issue. cars that twitch around over bumps are not desirable in inner city traffic.

like most defects,if a part of the vehicle appears to be defective or illegally modified in the eyes of the attending officer,it's up to you to prove that it isn't.
the guy I saw get defected for excessive camber deserved it. he had a bent front solid axle in a hilux,that he got from jumping the truck over a rifle range berm at mount panorama.

none of my cars have ever been defected. the closest I've ever gotten is a verbal warning to fix a faded numberplate,which I did the following day.

I keep my exhausts as high off the ground as possible,and keep the volume as low as a free flowing design allows.
I run a catalytic convertor where required.
I keep my wheel/tyre combination within the guards whilst maintaining proper wheel alignment angles.
I keep the car's ride height as close to the legal 100mm limit as possible.
I keep a low profile in traffic.

The japanese have a saying. the nail that sticks up,gets hammered down.

nearly every car I've owned has had several items on it that weren't strictly legal,and could be defected if they were noticed.
I've gotten away with having them that way because I don't make myself stand out.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:36 am 
Quad T88

Car: *insert car here*
hmm one thing this thread hasn't got is a list of cheap engineers & places to get it done.
i would like to get my car engineered to prevent any future hassles.
ive read around on sau & ns that theres this guy in hornsby who does them for around $500ish (he's listed on the RTA website aswell as an approved workshop) might be worth searching into.

i got one once in my old onevia, too low (had full car + worn coilovers) exhaust was wobbly & bald tyres (which weren't even bald)

in my 32, i never got defected when pulled over for RBT's, that had low offset wheels popping out the back , mismatched rims, dual 2" straight pipes, no cat & unbolted airbox, recaro seats

depends on your luck really!

geez, some of the things you guys been defected for is bloody ridiculous!

Justin, it may also be the fact that you have a stagea, cops will think its just a family 4wd lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:12 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
whyte wrote:
Justin, it may also be the fact that you have a stagea, cops will think its just a family 4wd lol

Yeah,that'd cover the current car,but not the 15 others I've owned before it. if they went over the stagea,there's at least 6 items off the top of my head that it could get done for. but it doesn't get looked at,both because it's a wagon,and because it's not in-your-face modified.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:47 am 
Twin T51

Car: 200sx s15
this isn't me as ive never been defected yet...but this was funny....

on me and my boys first date he got defected for the H pattern on his STANDARD gearknob cause it had "rubbed off"and was un-recognisable. (ok the letter R wasn't there anymore, but you could still see the rest) at the time he didn't have a rear bar on the car, and a massive front mount and turbo which you could see (the bonnet was all bent at the back so the turbo would fit)
*shrug* weird cops :lol: