Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:45 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: Silvia s13
I read in the paper a few days ago that the opposition have taken a page out of the Fast & The Furious and wants to bring in a law where police are allowed to use confiscated performance cars so they can infiltrate the groups of illegal street racers due to the fact the plan to crush the cars of hoons is currently caught up in 'legal red tape'

When I first read this story I thought it was kind of funny how the govt is trying to make out that police aren't already driving around in cars that have been confiscated ( I've seen a cop driving around Penrith in a modified R33 skyline..I kind of doubt he'd done all that work himself to the car)

While I do not condone street racing as it is dangerous & stupid I don't think that trying to infiltrate the groups of street racers is really going to work, I hardly think many police would know a great deal about modifying cars anyway so they'd probably stand out in the crowd.. but we'll see if this plan even gets off the ground

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:57 am 
Twin T51

Car: S15 SILVIA
Ive seen Police do this before, many years ago. Once in a R32 and again in a modified RX3. They were platent Police and like Vitty said, they do stand out in a crowd if your not totally blind. I believe they'll also end up having dramas with this situation as well, because depending on how they approach the situation they could get done with entrapment, which has happened before. There is a difference between hanging out with people who street race and egging people on to break the law.

Pro Concept = Where all my fuckups get fixed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:46 am 
T51 Hybrid

Car: S13 Silbeer and OneEighty wife mobile
Are there really gangs of people out there blocking off streets so they can race ? I thought most of this "Street Racing" was just spur of the moment traffic light drags. No matter what they do, or what cars people drive they ain't gonna stop it.

I think it's time they started harping on about something else, like the piss poor condition of our roads. I don't drive an overly low car, but I had to drive around a large section of road ( on a main road mind you ) for about a month so I didn't rip the sump of my engine. How the hell can that be safe ? I would of been air-borne at 50Km/H, well under the speed limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:12 am 
T51 Hybrid

Car: S13 Silbeer and OneEighty wife mobile
Oh and another safety concern, Why do these dipshits plant trees so close to the damn road, on corners and near roundabouts so that when they grow you can't see approaching traffic, then when a person swerves to miss the un-forseen traffic the end up ploughing into tree.

Power-poles, do they really have to be right on the gutter of a heavilly cambered road ? This forces taller vehicles, to sometimes occupy more than one lane. If the drivers are switched on this isn't much of a problem, if they realise the camber is changing at the last moment, you wouldn't want to be next to them.

And can someone explain to me who has right of way when 3 lanes turn into two on Victoria Road at the Iron-Cove Bridge ? It's like playing musical chairs with Vehicles !

Shit there are even sections of parramatta road where trucks are wider than the lane. All of a sudden you just don't fit.

I see in-experienced drivers in 2.5 tonne 4WD's speeding through school zones and weaving through traffic.

I see people tailgating constantly.

I see elderly people who have no business being behind the wheel of a car anymore.

As a professional driver I am on the road all day every day, I see dodgy dangerous shit every single day, I have never seen a "Fast & Furious" style street race, how much of a problem can they be ?

The rule makers should start by fixing the problems that the can fix, instead of reacting to media sensationalism.

How many of our christmass road-toll died while street racing ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:03 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
<<Ronin>> wrote:
How many of our christmass road-toll died while street racing ?

That's just a matter of political spin really. Insert "A modified import was seen racing the (insert econobox model here) just prior to the accident".

Justification for cracking down on imports and street racing.

:P

I do agree though. The amount of man power devoted to modified cars/street racing is just simply ridiculous, until you consider the guys being targeted are generally cashed up enough to waste money on cars so are a really clever target to gain some revenue. Enter the spin doctors who get the geriatric youth/modded car fearing public frothing at the mouth about the public menace that we are and the police can do it all they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:35 pm 
T03 Hybrid

<<Ronin>> wrote:
Why do these dipshits plant trees so close to the damn road, on corners and near roundabouts so that when they grow you can't see approaching traffic

Then ya also have the bright council people who dont just plant a tree in the middle of the roundabout they decide to go all out and plant a giant bush in the middle of it so that you cant see anyone except maybe a truck until they're turning the corner and coming across your path.

They wouldn't use their resources to fix up the roads etc (even though some places need it badly, if i drive down parramatta road with a cup of milk & some topping in with it, by the time i reached the end i'd have a perfectly shaken milkshake) they can't make any money off of that so they target drivers for defects/"street racing"

Its like badhairdave said, they use the stories the media feed to people about how all import/modified car drivers are hoons & street racers and they put up little videos of people being stupid in imports to justify their targeting of a majority of people who do the right thing and leave the racing to the track

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:31 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
I think the majority of import drivers ARE bell ends though

I dont blame the cops for wanting to crack down

But i dont think the 'street racing' is advanced as they think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:45 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Yes i agree that there needs to be a crackdown on those taking part in street racing, I live on the Great Western Hwy & I hear cars/bikes screaming down the road in early hours doing well over the 70km/hr limit.

Its just like ronin said, the majority of these races are started at traffic lights between 2 possibly 3 drivers, i doubt that there are large groups of drivers meeting up somewhere & blocking off roads etc for their races.. so I don't think this plan will work.

But the police/govt think they're on the right track to stopping it & if this plan doesn't work i'm sure they be quick to think of another plan to tackle it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:56 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
How about incorporating sensors at all new traffic lights that monitor fast take offs? like 60 foot timers at the drags?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:12 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
sure. we need MORE monitoring. they won't do it anyway,but don't give them ideas. we don't want to help them to fuck us over.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:38 pm 
T66

Car: 180sx
fergo308 wrote:
sure. we need MORE monitoring. they won't do it anyway,but don't give them ideas. we don't want to help them to fuck us over.

Justin...

i could be wrong, but is refusing such technology (if it exist), is a way of admitting our wrong doing acts? However, I agree about that we already being watched constantly by many ways, but i think anything that will put an end to a bad attitude is welcomed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:19 am 

apply that to speed cameras then, which were put in with idealistic reasoning - to save lives and cut down on dangerous behaviour on the road in what were reported to be 'black spots' for accidents and so on.

has that technology had the desired effect? or has it been more about providing an alternative revenue stream for the government?

how does changing a stretch of road's speed limit three or four or five times along it's length and then placing a speed camera on a section that is wide,running downhill,divided and well lit with a good road surface improve public safety at that location?

saying 'if you're not doing the wrong thing it won't affect you' is naive.
my boss at work is a case in point. he's 86years old and hadn't had a single driving offence on his record in 60years of driving. until last november,when he lost his licence inside a week. a speed camera was put in near his house,on a road he'd been driving on for probably double the time most people on here have been alive. the speed limit on that road was at the same time also lowered by 10km/h 1km before the camera's position,and then raised back up by the same amount 2km further down the road.
there are no dangerous intersections at this location. the road is four lanes wide overall,is divided,and has ample lighting. in his own words,he's never seen an accident anywhere near where the camera was installed at any time for as long as he's been licensed.
driving to work the same way as he's been doing for a VERY long time,he's gone through the camera at ~10km/h over the new limit,and has been fined. twice a day for a whole week,which put him off the road.
if there was nothing worng with that spot for over 60years,why did it suddenly need a lowering of the speed limit at that stretch,and the installation of a speed camera? to raise more cash. there's no other reason for it.

if 'launch control' cameras or whatever you want to call them go in as well,
they'll be used in a similar manner. maybe not straight away,but then neither were speed cameras...
how are you going to work out what is excessive acceleration from a traffic light? the practical application is a no-brainer,it's two switches on the road surface and a computer controlled timer. the light goes green,one is tripped as you move off,and the other is tripped a bit further up the road. you trip the sencond one in a time frame deemed to be too short,and you will be pinged by a roadside camera.

so what's an acceptable rate of acceleration from the line to the second switch's location?
do you alter that on wet days?
do you alter it (seemingly) at random like some tollways change their posted speed limits? how about at night? or in peak hour? and then how do you let people know that you've changed the limit for taht particular time?
the variables are neverending and the whole point is really moot,as there's already a system in place that can do this job well enough: the afformentioned speed cameras. if you don't go over the posted limit,it shouldn't be an issue. if you put MORE cameras in to do this job as well as enforce speed limits,and put them close enough to every intersection,most people will shit themselves and drive so slowly that this won't be a problem,like it already isn't.

another problem will emerge then though: our already clogged roads will be in perpetual gridlock as everyone does 35 in 50 zones,and 45 in 60 zones for fear of being booked,like they all do past the fixed cameras now,and noone will get anywhere anytime soon.
a few less people might kill themselves on the roads,as they'll be walking instead as it'll become faster than trying to drive a car. although after a few weeks of that they'll probably kill themselves anyway.

the government doesn't give a fuck about road safety. if they did they'd be doing more resurfacing of roads,improving signage and lighting and other such positive work. not just slowing you down more and enforcing those new lower limits with fixed cameras and policemen sitting on the side of the road aiming a lidar at you as you drive past rather than doing their proper job.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:56 am 
T03 Hybrid

fergo308 wrote:
policemen sitting on the side of the road aiming a lidar at you as you drive past rather than doing their proper job.

There's always police hiding in between normal cars so that they cant be seen until its too late, and if they aren't doing that then I see them going tearing down roads with lights/sirens then go round a corner and flick them off as they turn into a Service station, Mcdonalds so they can catch up with the other cops who have nothing better to do. Yet they'll still give me a good looking over as I'm driving by in my work car (Why wouldn't they, everyone uses Yaris' as their choice of car in their illegal racing clubs)

They do their job good sometimes, I remember once I had an alarm response which turned out to be a B&E & the police were there before I was :-? they stayed around for 1hr 45mins waiting for a keyholder which never attended.

Funnily enough the new Need For Speed game is called Undercover in which you play an FBI agent who infiltrates & tries to bring down a gang of illegal car racers/smugglers & when I started played the first thing I thought was 'hey look its the NSW Government'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:40 pm 

Vitty wrote:
There's always police hiding in between normal cars so that they cant be seen until its too late, and if they aren't doing that then I see them going tearing down roads with lights/sirens then go round a corner and flick them off as they turn into a Service station, Mcdonalds so they can catch up with the other cops who have nothing better to do.

I had to deal with one of those last week. I was driving across the anzac bridge and saw a bright green XR6 with black windows and a waxhead sticker across the window cruising along at exactly the limit. I followed him across watching closely and when we got to the lights (which were green btw) at the western side of the bridge,sure enough,the red and blue lights on either side of the number plate came on,he stopped in the middle of the road in the far left lane(so I and the threee other cars behind me had to also),then slowly did a U-turn over the dividing island and went back across the bridge again. cruising for prey... and too lazy to turn WITH the lights and go around the block like the rest of us have to.

I felt safer on the rest of my journey out west knowing that he was patrolling that particular stretch of road where the speed goes from 80 to 70,then 60 and then back up to 70...where the surface is dead smooth,and has good visibility. there's a REAL need for that area to be targeted,it's so very very dangerous after all... :roll:

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:26 pm 
T03 Hybrid

fergo308 wrote:
and too lazy to turn WITH the lights and go around the block like the rest of us have to.

Ive seen this happen way too many times (or see them making turns at no right/left turn signs) for anyone to tell me that theres not a '1 rule for police, 1 rule for everyone else'

I don't think I've ever seen police patrol too many stretches of road that actually are dangerous, a few weeks ago me & 3 other workmates were at a signwriting place off Mamre Road as 2 work cars were getting sign writing on them and the guys needed to get a lift back from the other 2 cars.

As we were leavin a highway patrol car drove past us really slowly and almost broke his neck trying to figure out what we were doing there at 6am, sure its a weird time but its not like 4 guys in security uniforms and 2 marked security cars are going to break into a business... that wouldn't look suss at all :roll:

He flipped a U-turn at the end of the street and decided to follow us till we got onto the M4, he flicked his lights on and proceeded to pull a u-turn at the set of lights and head back in the opposite to see if there was someone else he could pressure into doing something wrong on their way to work