Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:46 pm 
T03

Car: `94 180sx sr20det
Fellas,

Lost my licence for stupid things back in the day... you know how it is! When I got it back they put these clauses on the back. One states that I am not to drive a prohibited vehicle (turbo/supercharged/v8 etc.). Naturally, I own an sr20det. I have tried just about everything to get this removed from my licence so I can drive the car - I appealed about 4 times.

On the actual application form for an exemption it says "NSW provisional licences issued prior to 11 July 2005 were not conditioned. However, the condition will be applied if the provisonal driver is disqualified for an offence committed on or after 11 July 2005. In these instances, the provisional holder may be granted and exemption if they can prove direct ownership of their current vehicle at the time of the offence that led to the disqualification." This is exactly me, however each time I appeal they reject me on grounds of "not demonstrated that exceptional circumstances exist which necessitates you being exempted from the prohibited vehicle condition" and that I had a bad driving record.

I have given them every reason possible - it's the only car I own and have access to, had my licence before 11 July 2005 (before the condition was brought out), would lose too much money if I sold it, changed my driving habits, etc. but still no luck.

I do not plan on selling my pride and joy any time soon. Spent countless man hours worth of work on it. Never even got the chance to take it to the track! Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this matter?

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:48 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
employ the services of a solicitor. they will know the law, probably better than RTA people.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:32 pm 
T03

Car: `94 180sx sr20det
hmmm I don't suppose there's free legal aid services for this type of matter? I've already spent thousands in fines alone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:03 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s15
Talk to a Chamber Magistrate at a local court

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:51 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: '97 180sx Type X
chiggaman wrote:
hmmm I don't suppose there's free legal aid services for this type of matter? I've already spent thousands in fines alone...

perhaps not driving in a manner that generates infringements would be a good start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:00 am 
T66

Car: Some euro trash thing...
When does the additional clause expire? (ie when do you get a full license back?)

TBH. If you've had thousands of dollars of fines (I'm guessing this means more then 2k) and you've been disqualified - I question why you should be allowed to drive a powerful performance car?

You seem like a dangerous driver. The community is probably safer with you being in a more sedate car.

Pay for a proper solicitor or take it on the chin.

my 2c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:07 am 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
If you don't want to sell it then don't, buy a cheap run around until such time you are allowed to drive your car again.

Even without knowing the full story I can't say that it sounds like a bad thing that you have lost the ability to legally drive your car on the road though. You did stuff, consequences happened, take it on the chin, live your life as a wiser person.