Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:38 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S13
On my way to work this morning there was a mobile speed trap set up on the Great western HWY east-bound just past the M7. Now, there was a fair bit of traffic, so going th speed limit (80kph) was not possible let alone speeding. I thought it was odd, but kept going. About 1km up there were several police cars pulling people over (keep in mind they weren't speeding). Funny thing I noticed was almost all the cars had P plates on them and were modified or imports. P platers driving cars that didn't fit that category were left to pass, as were other drivers (like myself, even though I was in the sil).
Anyway, my point, to the driver of the black S13 who was behind me and got pulled over (the police stopped 1 lane of traffic to pull this guy over), as your car looked pretty stock and if they gave you crap for speeding (which clearly you weren't) please send me a pm as I will back you up. Yes, they were holding up other traffic to pull over P platers in modified or imported cars.

I'd also like to point out that this was such a waste of police resources. I always question the mentality of the police when they set up speed traps during peak hour on congested roads where speeding is pretty much impossible. I lost a little bit more of my faith in the police force this morning. Can't say I have much left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 am 
Twin T51

Car: 200sx s15
I know i'm a P plater and all, but I don't think i've EVER seen a full - licenced person been pulled up in any RBT or defect station along the beaches, and i mean ever...

one of my friends got done driving a stock shitty lazer on the weekend, he had his p plates displayed but his back one had flapped over the no. plate which obviously you cannot help when it is windy, he got a $180 fine and lost 1 point. pretty much stating he wasn't displaying 1 p plate.

its getting a bit rediculous. :( catch the murderers and rapists, and the people that actually ARE doing illegal activities along the roads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:00 am 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
I'm a P-plater too (not for much longer), and I have seen and experienced pllenty of fully licenced people being pulled over.

The last time I was hassled by the fuzz was in Kellyville (visiting), when I got pulled over by an unmarked.

I've virtually never had any trouble on the beaches or lower North Shore and I live around the area.

Any time I have been pulled over for an RBT I have never been defected, despite driving some very defectable vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:18 am 
Twin T51

i want a silvia wrote:
I'm a P-plater too (not for much longer), and I have seen and experienced pllenty of fully licenced people being pulled over.

The last time I was hassled by the fuzz was in Kellyville (visiting), when I got pulled over by an unmarked.

I've virtually never had any trouble on the beaches or lower North Shore and I live around the area.

Any time I have been pulled over for an RBT I have never been defected, despite driving some very defectable vehicles.

neither, i mean most the times i get pulled over they are really nice, one of the guys use to go drifting on the farms with my dad when he asked if i was Cols daughter (as he recognised my last name) :lol:
But this is why i never drive anywhere further out west. I hear they are pretty hard in places out west..

2 more weeks of green p's. anyway! *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Something similar was being set up on old campbelltown road this morning as i drove past.

Exactly the same scenario. This road is single lane typically nose to tail in the morning between 6:30 and 8:30, and with the uphill slope that proceeds it and the number of semis with containers on the back your lucky to be doing more than 40km/h at the point they were set up (just on the other side of the crest).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:25 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

badhairdave wrote:
Something similar was being set up on old campbelltown road this morning as i drove past.

Exactly the same scenario. This road is single lane typically nose to tail in the morning between 6:30 and 8:30, and with the uphill slope that proceeds it and the number of semis with containers on the back your lucky to be doing more than 40km/h at the point they were set up (just on the other side of the crest).

Yeah part of my point is how is any of this not a waste of tax-payer resources?
Or is the "speed trap" really just a cover for busting P platers these days?

My main point was that I feel bad for the guy in the S13 who was singled out and pulled over for doing absolutely nothing wrong as far as I could tell. Can't say it was about imports cause I went through fine. Anyway, thought it might have been someone from here amd just wanted to offer my support if it was needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:40 pm 
T78 Hybrid

Car: s13
well i got done coming of cumberland on to the freeway to ctown from casula. cop said i was speeding first he said i was doin 150 in a 80 zone and then after arguing with him he said ill do u for 105. i believe a was not doing that speed at all other cars were driving past me and i was the only one with a orange silvia :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:06 pm 
Twin T51

zomg CAR hoonz!

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/ne ... ns-drunks/

im glad i wont be driving at all after two weeks. QLD FTW 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:23 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Car: S15
hmm maybe i shuold move to the north Shore.... living in the west and driving a imported car with any noticable modifcations i.e intercooler or exhast can be hard sometimes. i just dont drive my car to much at night anymore as i really cant be f'ed being defected by the EPA agian.

i would say the police were just pulling over p platers with imports to see if they were modified as they can't drive modified cars. but during peak hour is a bit of a low blow not to mention people are annoyed with being stuck in normal traffic conditions let alone the police making more traffic for commuters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:33 pm 
Twin T51

Northern beaches FTW!

cop: So this is turbo (after getting torch and shining on front mount)
me: you mean the radiator thingy? huh? :o
cop: hahahahaha, nevermind pet. can you count to 10 please

:lol:

They defect shitbox commies for having a pod filter etc. you would think they would be out catching real criminals, instead of defecting every p plater for a pod filter. you hear about all these ATM robberies etc, and why there are no cops around... they're too busy defecting pod filters oh toez!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:19 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

marshy wrote:
hmm maybe i shuold move to the north Shore.... living in the west and driving a imported car with any noticable modifcations i.e intercooler or exhast can be hard sometimes. i just dont drive my car to much at night anymore as i really cant be f'ed being defected by the EPA agian.

Funny, when I was living on the northshore I got pulled over way more than I have since I moved out West (mind you, I was on P plates before, and not now).

I drove past this spot on the GWH at lunch today and saw the black S13 is still there. Maybe defected to hell? maybe he didn't pass the breathaliser (even at 7:30 in the morning).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:23 pm 
Twin T51

Sam, was that when i first knew you? I dont recall p plates, i didnt even know it was a silvia back then :lol:

Poor kid. they probably asked him to tow it home and he couldn't afford it. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:50 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1990 Nissan Silvia
i had a cop ring me yesterday fun y enough telling me to move my car, even though it was parked legally down my street abit. he then informs me that the lights are defectable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:06 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

~bb~ wrote:
Sam, was that when i first knew you? I dont recall p plates, i didnt even know it was a silvia back then :lol:

Poor kid. they probably asked him to tow it home and he couldn't afford it. :(

yep, going back a few years now.

It's just sad when you see things like this happen. Ok, so maybe he got defected, maybe he was driving a turbo car when I shouldn't have (couldn't tell if it was turbo or not) but it just isn't right seeing cops target people like this when they are not speeding, not driving with negligence and are probably just on their way to work (as most people are during peak hour).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:13 pm 
TO4

Car: SR 180
Are you sure it wasnt the number plate recognition thingo they use? Ive seen them using it in that spot once before and theyr'e using it a fair bit around blacktown now.

there's a little camera on a tripod that reads the rear plate as you drive past and flags you to the cops, who are waiting a few hundred metres up the road, if your rego is out or license suspended etc

a good sign that theyv'e been there is normally a heap of cars on the side of the road with no number plates on them