Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car Got Hit
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:20 pm 
T03

Car: 1998 200sx S14a
Hi All,

as the title states my car got hit a few days back, what happened was the lady was on hume highway on the turning lane to hoxton park road i was on the 3rd right lane going straight at liverpool she suddenly merged out, clipped my side mirrors scratched my door and damaged badly the rear quarter panel and it seems like my petrol lid isnt going to pop out like it use to.
basically long story short, grabbed her details called insurance i only have 3rd party fire and theft and made a police report, she said she'll call her insurance but its been 4 days now and she decided to switch off her phone and basically made no attempts in trying to contact me, as i was the one calling her. i have a feeling this might be a runner (hopefully not), i just wanted to know what are my options basically if this doesnt turn out in a civil way? and wondered if anyone else had this happen to them.

try to post up some pics when i get home

thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S13
that's why only having 3rd party insurance sucks. With full comp, you just give the details to the insurance company and they do the chasing.
Good luck getting this person. I would look into getting some real legal advice from a law talking guy. Even if you have a friend or family member who can write a letter to this person (on paper with the legal company's letter head on it) it might be enough to scare the person into paying up. Otherwise, expect to take it to court and hello legal fees...
People suck and will do anything to get out of paying for their mistakes (such as crashing into someone else's car), and since this person isn't answering your calls this may be what's happening here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:08 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
so pay her a visit if you have her address.

but DO NOT threaten her, just be concerned about the matter and you thought youd drop by as you were in the area for something.

thats probably bad advice, but if she sees you at her place, it will scare her more than some letter will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:31 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: Honda Civic EK1 - Daily
Funny, even if you have 3rd party, your insurance company still helps out, so give them a call and also go to your local police to tell them shes been dodging your calls, it helps if it gets worse and your still around and she isnt.

But yeah, like i said, on your 3rd party policy booklet, if any yous read it, it say they can handle those stuff for you, they also need to know ur car is damaged... hence etc etc...

hope that helps

Goodl uck

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:53 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 200sx s15
Sorry to hear bout that mate, fingers crossed ur insurance company will get onto it.

or get someone in a suit to knock on her door claiming to be your laywer :wink:

should always get them to sign under their details that they were at fault.. well i did it once and they tried to do a runner, i was on 3rd party too. they paid up in the end.

good luck mate! my fingers are crossed for you that she pays the expences!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:24 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: S15
It has already been said, but speak to your insurance conpany.

They can send you a blank "letter of demand" that you can fill in with the details for your claim against her. Go and get a quote to repair the damage (not what you would like to get done, but just the actual repairs), and send it to her with the LOD.

Did she tell you who her insurance company was? If not, contact the MAA and find out who the CTP insurer is. A large number of people will have their insurance with the same company.
http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/default.aspx?MenuID=106
Then you can try calling them to see if the person has lodged a claim, or confirm their policy details, and send the insurance company the LOD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:18 pm 
TO4

Car: s15
arent u allowed to claim it tru ur insurance? i thought third party let u claim it if u not at fault? maybe im wrong..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:26 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: '97 180sx Type X
on third party, you can lodge a claim if a claim has been lodged against you but your insurance company wont handle your repairs if you are not found to be at fault.

i am fully covered and I was run into by another driver, my insurance company covers my repairs and gets a cheque from the other drivers insurance company to cover it. I had the choice of doing that or going through the other insurance company but then you lose choice of repairer and its generally done as cheap as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:32 pm 
T03

Hi All,

just an update, seems like the lady that hit me still isnt picking up, i have sent a letter of demand to the ladies house with quotes from my repairer,
visited her house (she wasnt home and it seems like no ones been in there for a week), so im pretty screwed, what justcar offered was if there is no reply within 14 days of the day the letter of demand was sent out they'll actually send another one with their soliciters letter head free of charge, after that if still no reply then i'll have to take legal action.. my quoted repairs were $2800, so basically i have no choice.. legal fees here i come. T.T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:05 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: Honda Civic EK1 - Daily
Sorry to hear bud, all you can do now is hope.

Good luck with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:06 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 200sx s15
fucking kick down the door and kick her in the cunt what a bitch.

/ end rant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:09 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

~bb~ wrote:
fucking kick down the door and kick her in the cunt what a bitch.

/ end rant.

I strongly suggest you DON'T do this, even if it would make you feel better :D
Getting charged with break and enter and assault wont get your car fixed.

Lets hope the letter gets her to pay up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:30 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
i got a good idea to my old one lol

get the letter of demand and personally deliver it in a non-threatening way. that way she cant ignore it or say she never got the letter.

plus she knows you arent about to muck around and you mean business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:24 pm 
T03

Hi All,

to add more insult i got home last night and guess what i get, a letter from their insurance company claiming ME to be at fault, what a joke, good side to this is that Justcars is actually stepping in now due to that letter and they are investigating it at this moment, basically they told me its a scare tactic that everyone does when they are at fault, but all in all i hope it goes my way. wish me luck!

thanks to everyone for their reply/concern if any :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:32 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

man, that's so low!

I found out earlier in the year when my car got hit that apparently the older generation were told to never admit fault in an accident if they can avoid it. Not sure if that's 100% true, but the guy who hit me acted like he wasn't at fault, despite him driving head on into the side of my car when I had right of way.

So yeah, it sucks, but no big surprise. This person is probably thinking "yeah, young person in a performance car, i can twist this to make them look at fault".
I hope you took photos of the crash.