Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:09 pm 
TO4

Car: S14A
Just thought this may be an interesting topic.

This was actually the first car forum I ever joined when I was 15 and only had a couple of grand ot play with. Wanted an NA S13 back then (Lol @ me)

Last year finally ended up buying an S14a after being fixated on the car for about a year or so.

So what about everyone else? Impulse buy or a real goal?

I guess its different when its a first car, mine was actually a third car, but Falcons and Accents dont count :P (Still have both of them though so can't say theyve been too bad haha)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:18 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 200sx s15
a real goal!!

first car i wanted was a rx8 when they first came out lol :(

then after watching need for speed, gone in 60 seconds etc i got into jap cars,
then tokyo drift came out and i've wanted an s15 since. LOL

i take that still wanting it after so long shows its not just a "phase" i want to make a project out of it once i buy it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:33 pm 

Car: MKV Golf
My 180 was my 2nd car back in 2000. I used to always read through the Unique Cars mag and then all of a sudden Jap imports started appearing. 180's caught my eye because of the price range (and I thought they looked cool) and then when my VK shat itself, I bought one pretty much straight away when I saw it at a local dealer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:47 pm 
T78

Car: 180SX Kouki
My first import was a S14a, and it was a car that i had wanted for some time. After it got destroyed in an accident (other guy hit me), i then decided i would go for something i liked just as much (if not more) and cheaper, so i chose to get a 180, 8 months down the track and now i got my 2nd decent car =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:58 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
Started saving when I was 13.

Bought my first S13 a month after my 17th birthday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:53 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Goal 1. First car was a TA22 Celica.
Washed that every weekend. Then put a 3TGTE Twin cam boost motor in it about 94/95 that was. The V8 brigade had no idea!!

I saved about 2500 for that- that was the era when Gemini's, RX -3's and Datto 1600's Z18's were O so cool.
Bzzzzzt- then i got older and wiser. Something along those lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:10 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: Silvia s13/EG civic
wanted a s13 since i was 15.

bought it when i was 17 as my first car....now 21 and still have it along with EG civic as a daily.

Now i want a s15 but cnt let go of the s13 :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:43 pm 
T88

Car: kouki 14
somewhat of a impluse but one of the best decisions i made :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:47 pm 
TO4

Car: none
When I saw the ad for the S15 in the newspapers in 2001/2002 I thought to myself "thats such an awesome car! thats my dream car, although being turbo and 40K+ I'll never be able to get one"

I started saving when I was 15, 5-6 years of saving (only worked part-time/casual throughout high school and uni) and I got my S15 when I was 20. Kinda feels good to know that I'm driving around in a car that sold for almost 50K brand new :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:56 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I'm probably too old to join in on this topic.

my current car I just went out and bought. my celsior was costing me too much in repairs due to it's age,and I had decided to get a wagon with a similar towing capability and better fuel consumption than the toyota had.
had to be at least a little bit interesting to drive also.
a stagea fit the bill the best out of what was out there at the time.

my first car back in 1991 was an LH torana,bought for $1800 by my father so I had something to get to work in. I sunk a LOT more than that into it over the next year and a half keeping it going...
I learned to drive mostly in that car and I had a lot of fun it while it lasted,cost aside.
I learned a lot,doing most work myself,or with a mate who knew more looking over my shoulder,and eventually moved on to bigger and better things once the torana's body had deteriorated past the point where I could keep it roadworthy.

S13's and the like were brand new cars in Japan then,and it was V8's or nothing here as far as I was concerned at the time.
it wasn't until 1997 when I first got home internet access and my first S14 a year later that I saw the light and came to appreciate how much fun smaller engined cars could be,and how varied automotive culture and hardware is.
Reading and posting o the old nissans13 newsgroup got me out there and taught me a lot. I was in the trade by then and have had nothing but japanese cars since.

kids coming up now have it so easy with regards to the level of performance and safety the cars that they can afford to own have compared to when I was that age.
my mates had geminis and Vk's when I was 18. even simple stuff like twin cam heads and fuel injection were exotic. forget turbos,IRS and ABS!
What you can get now with a loan from your straight-out-of-school job puts some of the best hardware even my few well-off mates had at the time to shame.
Throw in some generous parents and an 18yr old with an S15 or Z33 (or in my area C class merc or 3 series BMW) isn't much of a stretch. and an S15 is a long,LOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGG way ahead of what I started out in.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:18 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
holy shit YOU were on the nissans13 yahoo group too??? i had no idea lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:33 am 
T66

Car: S15 & ae92 Levin
All i wanted for my first car was something cool fast and 2 door and sexy all i could afford was a 88 mazda mx6 turbo and what a car that was i loved it besides the fact it blew up on me 2 days after i bought it, took the chance to make sure the engine was gonna get rebuilt bullet proof and it was beat a lot of cars that i never thought it could including 180s 200's an s15 and then hey time caught up and i bought my black beast of an s15 for my 20th b day and how happy i was and never looked back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:39 pm 
T03

Car: R33
saved up for about 1.5-2 years.. Then made the purchase.. but borrowed a bit from parents..

Nearly 3 years on and still have my baby!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:46 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
Had too many cars to mention but as for the 180. I was trying to import a GTiR but it seemed every time I thought I had it nailed down something went wrong.

I finally decided that it wasn't meant to be, I found out that the 180 also had this wonderful SR engine that I had read so much about so I started hunting around for one.

Did a quick search of the local car sales web sites and I bought the very first one I looked at, it was as pure as the driven snow without a single modification not even a pod filter.

When I was driving it home, I had to drive home with the window down because I could see the tacho moving, but I couldn't hear the engine and I needed to know it was still running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 200sx 2001
got my first car back in 98 when i was 16 it was a 95 Charade of all things, i didnt know much about cars so i liked it at the time lol. i had a few mates with Turbo cars one a worked SSS pulsar plus a s14a the other a 180sx and on cruzes the Charade just didnt cut it. so i got rid of that and picked myself up my first turbo car, that being a 180sx. i couldnt go past its bang for buck value and i didnt have the funds for a s14. loved the 180 untill i seen the S15 for the first time back in 99 i think and from that point on i knew i WANTED one. saved my ass off and in in 02 i went out to buy my current ride S15.