Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:51 pm 
T25

Car: sileighty
hey i got a registered sil80 but its stripped out bar seats dash and doortrims basically, i have most of the trim still, my car is still rego'd but a trailer jocky at the moment (p's) how much do i need to put back in if i want it as a streeter??

whats the rules with removal of back seats and restraints.
can the boot area remain stripped?
does it need carpet?

any info will be helpful im still deciding wether or not keep it as tracker or prep it for street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:53 pm 
T51 Hybrid

if u take back seats and restraints out u need to get it registered as a 2 seater, requires blue slip..

formerly 3AM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:57 pm 
T25

i need to get it blue slipped again anyway. because its got a sr in it and was never changed from ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:39 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

if you just take out the back seats but leave the seat belts in its all good right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:29 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
that's a bit grey. the b elts are required,but the only real spec as far as a seat goes for a pink slip is that it is securely mounted. the floor is securely mounted... you can sit on a plank of wood if you like,as long as it's bolted down.

if it was my car I'd leave the seats in and keep my current rego valid,or would go the whole hog and gut it completely,and obtain an engineer's cert. before getting the records adjusted to list it as a two seater.

stuff like carpet and sound deadening are not required. nor are rear wipers,demisters,or even the heater under the dash.

all you need for a pink slip are the specified number of seats and belts,functional door controls,front wipers,a fan that blows air onto the front screen to demist it, and the other obvious items such as working lights,door and rear vision mirrors,no oil leaks from the driveline,sound suspension,steering,wheels and tyres,an exhaust that isn't leaking,and no rust beyond surface level.

the RTA rules are actually pretty sloppy. I have to pass a lot of cars that I don't really want to,as by the book,they're ok. by my standards,they often aren't...and you sure as hell wouldn't want to try and drive them quickly...

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:45 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

but in terms of getting pulled over... if i didnt have my back seats in but still had the belts thats ok right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:33 am 
T51 Hybrid

since its a 180 you could always play dumb and say u were transporting wood or another large item earlier, so you had the back seats out so it would fit..

thats why i love 180s... without the back seats its like a wagon that doesnt look like one :D

formerly 3AM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:34 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
radism wrote:
but in terms of getting pulled over... if i didnt have my back seats in but still had the belts thats ok right?

like most defects,that depends on the sensibilities of the attending officer.
people get defected for a low washer fluid level,which is also NOT a required rego item. the police can defect you for whatever the hell they want to,it's up to you to prove after the fact that what they've said is not a problem. hence why I suggested that leaving the seats in was a better idea. the less they can see has obviously been removed that they might consider necessary,the less likely that you'll cop (no pun intended) a defect notice.

taking the seats out by themselves won't do much for your power to weight ratio. drop a lot of other stuff first (such as some of the items listed in my previous post) and see how that goes. then you can take the seat out.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:34 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
radism wrote:

I got pulled over twice in my old Onevia with no back seats, they didn't care. Don't know if it is legal though...although I did still retain the seat belts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:45 pm 
T25

yeh my car is cyphers old sil80 so if anyone has seen it they'll know theres very little left in it lol im actually putting the interior back in

i wanna get it legal but and i dont care for the back seats i was considering fabing up a removable sub/ rear speaker set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:28 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

yeah i was just clearing it up. i know its probably not the most legal thing and like you said justin, it really depends on who you're being dealt with, but to be honest, the main reason i took my back seats out was because i was tired of giving people lifts and after getting my new coilovers put in, i didnt want my fat mates riding in the car and putting useless stress on them esp. given sydneys roads. thanks for the info though.

i've been pulled over a few times without my back seats in and the officer never even noticed.