Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:28 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
tehyoungone wrote:
What about an RX-7?

This one comes premade =]

http://www.lerx7.com/

I would put an RB20DE in a car before I put a rotary in...

splashman wrote:
Sounds like you've made your mind up.

Not sure why you bother asking for advice when you've already decided what you want to do.

You still haven't even mentioned a purpose for this new car.

Haven't made up my mind at all, I was leaning towards an EVO but the one person who mentioned it said I wouldn't be happy with it... So from that I gather they are probably over rated. Funny I always thought they were supposed to be a fairly descent setup...

Use is as per the 180 street and if it stays in one piece long enough the occasional track day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:11 pm 
Twin T51

Car: coon
So let me get this straight, you're unhappy with the sr in terms of low down torque, yet an evo is on your list? It doesn't seem like you're really thinking about this properly...

Daily drivers essentially need to be reliable, and if occassional track work is on the cards you don't need to be compunding the reliability issue with a potentially troublesome engine conversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:14 pm 
Twin T04

Car: R34 GTR Vspec II Nur
evo's arent over rated, they are just boring, like any other car that has a multitude of systems to do the work for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:28 pm 
Token Old Guy

Never driven an EVO or been in one so that is why I need advice. They are four wheel drive so I figure this is going to help put the power down if it makes a bit. I am led to believe they handle and stop ok too. From everything I have heard they seem like a good car. What is so boring about the way they drive???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:28 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 2 x silvia, mountain bike
how bout an s14/180 with a 2jz probably a lighter shell than a 300 and a bit newer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:31 pm 
Token Old Guy

yeah the later s14 might be alright. Problem is brakes etc then need doing. I am trying to find something that if power is left conservative it will handle it without too much upgrade cost. Guess the 300 and S14 already have the same brakes (close enough).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:27 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Fa(s)t red boat
I think if you're looking at an Evo and we do seem to be hard pressed for a rethink on the matter, I'd probably recommend the EvoVI over a VII or VIII.
They still have a lot of appeal as a driver's car with a lot less mechanical meddling, good brakes, fairly fast and still comparatively simple. That's just my 2cents having entertained the idea of buying one.

Con's against them?
People steal them... a lot!
(personally I would have debadged it, ripped the back spoiler off and kind of hoped that would hide it from a lot of casual molesting, plus a crap load of alarm systems and kill switches)
Really bloody thirsty and fairly pricey to maintain. They'll quite happily suck down as much juice as a big V8.
Awful traits as any kind of daily driver, long trips could best be described as 'pummelling' for more than 3hrs at a time... being I'm getting (really) old, my back hurts and that just makes me go from irritable to 'fkn cranky'
Torque curve is pretty much the same as an SR20DET. Its a 4cyl turbo, you kick em in the guts and they go fast, you don't, they're a Camry, there isn't really any way around this except to start modding it the same way you'd do any other 4pot with a snail.... and you don't seem keen on repeating it.
Interior is quite shithouse, but you seem intent on ripping it out so its hardly an issue :D
Still fairly pricey...

The VII an VIII are much more 'friendly' in terms of fittings and causal road use.

The R34GTT is a pretty good car for the 20k or so they usually cost now, I mean they're 200kg lighter than a 300ZX.
RB25's aren't that bad a motor.
They aren't world-conquering or anything but they go fast enough to land you in jail easily enough :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:16 am 
T28

Car: 1984 Chrysler LeBaron
How about an RB25 or 26 head on the RB30 block, dropping that into any old nissan (S series, Z32, R32 GTSt etc).

That would give you the torque you desire, with big top end potential. Keeping it in the family makes the engine swaps much more straight forward too (eg. a 2JZ has the turbos on the "wrong side" of the engine for a nissan).

Alternatively, I would recommend an R34 GT-t or an R32/33 GT-R. I saw an R33 GT-R advertised for $24,000 the other day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:48 am 
Twin T51

Car: 2 x silvia, mountain bike
here you go a couple of links to help you with your insanity hehe

http://www.2jzswap.com/vbulletin/

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/204302

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:47 am 
TO4

Car: Silvia S13 K's
I suggest a Mazda 3 MPS. Those things move!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:48 am 
T66

Car: 180sx
I still hold my recommendation for the Evo, some say its "computer-driven" car where the driver has no input whatsoever. This is not entirely true. These are awesome machines if they were tuned right and don't compare them to SRs because they are different categories.
I mean clearly once you have been in RWD SR20 car, you would think that other cars are less fun to drive and manipulate, If i am in your shoes and given the choice between 300zx and Evo, the Evo is winning choice here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 am 
Twin T51

Car: 180sx RB26DETT
Evos are awsome cars straight out of factory...

suspension is great, handling is awsome and power delivery is tops! id say test drive one first to see if its your cup of tea... my uncle has a Evo 6 and that things nutz...

if you wanted to buy a car and track it straight away evo is a good choice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:21 pm 
Token Old Guy

MK wrote:
I think if you're looking at an Evo and we do seem to be hard pressed for a rethink on the matter, I'd probably recommend the EvoVI over a VII or VIII.
They still have a lot of appeal as a driver's car with a lot less mechanical meddling, good brakes, fairly fast and still comparatively simple. That's just my 2cents having entertained the idea of buying one.

Con's against them?
People steal them... a lot!
(personally I would have debadged it, ripped the back spoiler off and kind of hoped that would hide it from a lot of casual molesting, plus a crap load of alarm systems and kill switches)
Really bloody thirsty and fairly pricey to maintain. They'll quite happily suck down as much juice as a big V8.
Awful traits as any kind of daily driver, long trips could best be described as 'pummelling' for more than 3hrs at a time... being I'm getting (really) old, my back hurts and that just makes me go from irritable to 'fkn cranky'
Torque curve is pretty much the same as an SR20DET. Its a 4cyl turbo, you kick em in the guts and they go fast, you don't, they're a Camry, there isn't really any way around this except to start modding it the same way you'd do any other 4pot with a snail.... and you don't seem keen on repeating it.
Interior is quite shithouse, but you seem intent on ripping it out so its hardly an issue :D
Still fairly pricey...

The VII an VIII are much more 'friendly' in terms of fittings and causal road use.

The R34GTT is a pretty good car for the 20k or so they usually cost now, I mean they're 200kg lighter than a 300ZX.
RB25's aren't that bad a motor.
They aren't world-conquering or anything but they go fast enough to land you in jail easily enough :lol:

Currently you can only import EVO 6 - EVO 8.
An EVO 6.5 Mak edition go for around the same money as a EVO 7
EVO 8 are selling for about 8k more.
When you say they are thirsty how thirsty? (that is one of the against the 2J arguements)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:45 pm 
T66

Car: Some euro trash thing...
Mitsu quote fuel consumption to be 10.9/100klm. Though in city driving and/or spirited driving I would be surprised if you didn't get about 400klm from the tank (55l)

(this is for a stock car - obviously a modified car may use more fuel)

They run something like 19psi boost stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:16 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 180sx RB26DETT
Evo 6's drink like a thirsty dog...

my uncles evo 6 can only get 360 with a full tank... maybe they got a small tank but trust me they drink..

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next