Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:24 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 510
fergo308 wrote:
Much more than you realise. power will never make up for driving skill,good brakes and good suspension. now being P platers,you don't have any driving skill yet,so that just makes the latter two points all the more important.

What's the point of having 300kw ATW when you have to slow back down to 40km/h to take a moderate sweeping corner? the 100kw ATW NA car with good suspension that you're driving against will blow straight past you at double your corner speed after having caught back up whil you wash all your speed off.

Watch a skyline try and run against a civic at wakefield and you'll get an idea of what I'm referring to.

the only place power dominates is at WSID.

Justin...

I could not agree more with your position on this matter. But too be fair it took me a good 3 - 4 years of driving, attending motorsport events and talking to people to realise how critically important suspension and brakes are.

For even more practical example take your car up the old Pac highway for a run. I guarantee a stock standard 99/00 type-r integra would shame alot of the so called modified turbo cars on here. I'm not having a go at these cars but often people simply do not understand how important the areas of handling and braking is.

If I were a P plater again with these restrictions I would consider an early MX5 or NA13 for sure. Actually to be honest I'm happy I went through a few years of shitters (old sigmas & skylines) before getting something decent. You learn to appreciate what you have more & no big loans at 18/19/20 and you can leave it anywhere and not worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:03 am 
Quad T88

Car: S15
fergo308 wrote:
Magnet wrote:
3 years is a long time to be driving shitters.

define a shitter. you can drive an elise on your P's. or a BMW,or an XR6,or a maybe even a porsche boxster...

it doesn't have to have a turbo to be fun to drive. you guys rely on power way too much.

I don't know what you're talking about, i was replying to the post below. You said wait till you're off you're P's, in 3 years time, and buy the s14 then, implying drive around in a shitter until then. My point was 3 years is a long time to be driving around in a shitter, when you could be driving around in a nice car that's just non-turbo.

fergo308 wrote:
why the fuck would you do that? why not wait until you get off of your kiddy restriction and then buy the S14 and drive it as is?

S14 NA's are not allowed to be imported to Australia,unless you want to track race it only,and have all the licensing and log books organised all ready. and even then,why bother,when they're available locally,and you only need to change half as much equipment. NA S14's are crap.

fly510 wrote:
For even more practical example take your car up the old Pac highway for a run. I guarantee a stock standard 99/00 type-r integra would shame alot of the so called modified turbo cars on here. I'm not having a go at these cars but often people simply do not understand how important the areas of handling and braking is

So you saying people on here can't drive? What about when the "so called modified turbo cars" are overtaking those hondas sideways?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:25 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 510
Magnet wrote:
So you saying people on here can't drive? What about when the "so called modified turbo cars" are overtaking those hondas sideways?

Mate I have an s14 powered datsun 1600 so I'm not bagging turbo nissans or their drivers in the way in which you think. It was more the mind set of people who seem to be convinced that you need heaps of power to go fast which is totally untrue.

I stand by what I said in the original post regarding the importance of suspension & brakes when talking about real life fast cars, not traffic light racers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:33 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
No one's arguing that suspension isn't important, especially me :)

I was just having a dig at your practical example, 'cause honda drivers suck :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:15 pm 
Quad T88

Car: *insert car here*
fergo308 wrote:
Magnet wrote:
3 years is a long time to be driving shitters.

define a shitter. you can drive an elise on your P's. or a BMW,or an XR6,or a maybe even a porsche boxster...

it doesn't have to have a turbo to be fun to drive. you guys rely on power way too much.

Justin...

your average joe cant afford an elise or XR6

^ thats because honda's are the best, right ryan? :roll: HAHA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:56 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
whyte wrote:
your average joe cant afford an elise or XR6

So? is this about the socio-economics of it,or what's LEGAL?

I couldn't afford a new anything when I was a p plater. didn't stop me from having fun with what I had though. we believed that you had to work your way up,and that would come with time,and as you earned more money. we certainly didn't expect hot cars to just fall into our laps.

driving a fast car isn't a right or anything,it's a privilege,that costs money. if you can't afford it,that's just too bad. don't whine about it,and try and blame the government for your own inadequacies.

once again,it comes back to young kids being impatient,and wanting it all now,and for free,if possible. get over yourselves. the rules are there,and there's nothing you can do about it. now,either sit out your probationary period in something cheap and 'normal',or spend some serious cash and buy a hot NA car that's P plate legal,like the suggestions I gave. they're your options. if you don't like them,that's too bad,as it's not going to change just because you don't like it.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:43 am 
T28

Car: 180SX
or they could get an S13/S14/S15 and drop an SR20DE into it... Thats relatively cheap, lets them have a car with looks, handling and braking. Power can come later, but theyll have all the bases for it covered already.

I started off with an SR20DE S13 (due to money, not P plate restrictions). The car cost me $5000, back in 2002.

First mod; S15 brakes.
200km/h in an NA is exactly the same as 200km/h in a turbo; the only difference is how fast you get there.

Next mod; cusco coilovers, cusco castor rods.
Corner speed in a turbo is the same as in an NA.

After a year with the car like that, I did the SR20DET conversion. I actually regret doing it, as I feel slower with the turbo. I dont have to push myself to get the same times, so I feel less satisfied. I would love to do an NA conversion.
If my SR20DET blows, I'll replace it with a high compression SR20DE, using all DET gear on it (CAS, coilpacks etc) and tune the ECU to suit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:41 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
yeah,they could,but the car's still illegal,as they aren't allowed to modify the car at all,and the car is still on the banned list,regardless of what they've done to the engine.

they'll still get pulled over and defected,and will cop grief because they're driving something that as far as the police are concerned,they shouldn't be. the car will still be considered to be a turbocharged vehicle,as that's how it was initially sold.

is it really so terrible to drive an MX5 or a corolla for a couple of years when you first get your license? do you NEED to have a silvia immediately? why do people feel so strongly about some perceived right they believe they have to own sports cars as soon as they get their licenses? do you go straight into the general manager's chair when you leave year 12 and start your first job,or do you start off as the office junior and work your way up?
what's the difference?

Justin...