Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:56 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: car
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...ArticleID=46124

Quote:
The organisers of V8 Supercars wouldn’t let us race in 1993 and I can guarantee they’re not going to let us race in 2008. It’s not a taxi as you know.

Quote:
Nissan plots Godzilla’s Bathurst comeback
Jez Spinks, 06/12/07

The Japanese sports car thrown out of Australian touring car racing in the ’90s for being too quick - the Nissan GT-R - could return to Bathurst in 2009, reports JEZ SPINKS.

Nissan's race car version of the GT-R gets a shakedown at the Suzuka circuit, in preparation for its debut in Japan's 2008 Super GT series.

Related Photo Galleries and Videos:

iconNissan GT-R

iconVideo Gallery

The Japanese sports car banned from Australian motorsport for being too quick is planning a return to Bathurst in 2009.

In Japan Nissan has just launched the fourth-generation version of the Skyline GT-R that was dubbed ‘Godzilla’ locally in the early '90s after it thrashed V8-powered Holdens and Fords in Australia’s touring car championship.

A limited production run of only 12,000 cars a year means Nissan Australia must wait until early 2009 to import the new 353kW GT-R, but the company is already considering its motor racing options for the most powerful production car to yet come out of Japan.

“Nissan will get back into some form of motorsport [in Australia] to show the capabilities of this vehicle [the GT-R],” says Ross Booth, marketing manager for Nissan Australia.

“One of the problems with Australian motorsport is a lack of a showcase for this type of vehicle [GT-R]. The organisers of V8 Supercars wouldn’t let us race in 1993 and I can guarantee they’re not going to let us race in 2008. It’s not a taxi as you know.

“It’s a matter of what’s the right [motorsport] program for it, and when we do it bearing in mind the car doesn’t go on sale here until early 2009,” says Booth.

“One of the most obvious options is the Targa [Tasmania] rally. And whether we can enter it into the Bathurst 12-hour depends on the rules. At the moment there’s a $125,000 [price tag] cut-off limit.”

The new Nissan GT-R is expected to cost about $150,000 when it finally arrives in Australia.

Booth says Nissan has mixed feelings about the Australian touring car organisers’ decision to ban the original Skyline GT-R after it won successive touring car titles from 1990 to 1992.

“At the time Nissan was quite upset at the decision and quite rightly so,” says Booth, who worked for Ford at the time. “The GT-R was a very formidable opponent, and to take it out of the number one Australian motorsport category was very controversial.

“[But] it probably helped create a bit of legend around the GT-R. Basically it added some mystique. It was a great way to get the vehicle known, because it was absolutely killing the opposition for a number of years. The GT-R was for the time an exceptionally engineered car.

“It was only beaten by the [touring car] organiser basically reacting to the mob,” says Booth, referring to the infamous 1992 Bathurst 1000 podium outburst by victorious GT-R driver Jim Richards.

Richards responded to booing Holden and Ford fans by calling them “a pack of arseholes”.

Nissan Japan has already announced that a race car version of the new GT-R will compete in the GT500 class of Japan’s 2008 Super GT Series.

The company has also not ruled out entering the world’s most famous GT race, the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:02 am 
Twin T66

Car: 1990 Nissan Silvia
fuck yes, i hope it does. It'll be a more of a mix of Aussie fine machinery Vs Bogan machinery Vs japans finest sports car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:51 pm 
T78

Car: 180SX Kouki
Awesome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:57 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
the first quote says it all.

It's not a taxi, it will never be able to compete in V8 supertaxi.

A few years back there was talk of a mitsubishi magna special. That went quiet pretty quickly (probably as soon as someone from mitsubishi australia opened the technical specs).

I'd say it would qualify for nations cup where it's up against lambos and fez's and porche's, but yeah, the price tag excludes it from the bathurst production car enduro (unless nissan aus makes a marketing decision to sell it for 125k to slip in).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:13 pm 
Twin T78

What layout would they run? AWD and forced induction are both banned currently aren't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:52 pm 
T66

Car: 180sx
It will be pleasant to see the GT-R run along side the Holden and Ford but honestly the latters have almost no chance.
Nissan developed a very powerful, super engine that is best described in the article by being too quick.
I mean, if in the 90's it was too quick, I can't imagine how quicker now it becomes comparing to so called new (old) engines in Ford and Holden...

I think they'll still reject Nissan application into the V8 Championship

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:10 pm 
Twin T66

Would it be rejected if they opted to comply with a n/a v8 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:33 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
Mr-Silvia wrote:
It will be pleasant to see the GT-R run along side the Holden and Ford but honestly the latters have almost no chance.
Nissan developed a very powerful, super engine that is best described in the article by being too quick.
I mean, if in the 90's it was too quick, I can't imagine how quicker now it becomes comparing to so called new (old) engines in Ford and Holden...

I think they'll still reject Nissan application into the V8 Championship

I watched the 91 Bathurst video last night :D I remember I was baracking for Brocky something fearce.
Different era of V8 Holden and Ford engines, but yeah they wouldn't be in the same league unless they impossed boost limits or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:48 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
It's funny how many people consider V8 supercars to be the pinnacle of motorsport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:15 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
I am a big fan of formula one, but I think the average layman can relate to V8 Supercars a little more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:20 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 180sx
this would be awesome..

i only live a few blocks from mount panorama and hearing the supercars roar around is awesome...i would love to sit in the backyard and see if i could pick the sound of the gtr compared to the holden and fords....

sad fact is it will never happen, me and my mate love jumping in his r32 and driving around race weekend knowing that every bogan that see's us in awe of a far more superior car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:08 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Fa(s)t red boat
Nah, it'll never be in supertaxis, just the Australian performance car championships which also run at Bathurst. Which are the only things aside from a couple of other 'variety' races and Porsche cup there worth watching imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:03 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
would LOVE to see it run a few targas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:43 pm 
Twin T66

mmm
line lockers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:17 am 
Quad T88

Car: *insert car here*
LOL no way v8 supercars will let that monster race.
the gtr will cream them sideways.