Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:27 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Fa(s)t red boat
I'd not care except for the fact that after paying $830 odd for rego and greenslip earlier this month and all the fuel excise tax I paid, is being put towards crap TV adds that aren't going to have an appreciable affect on the road toll and not actually put towards anything useful.

Ads are expensive little f*cking things, god knows the libs have been spending up hard telling everyone just how super they are for the last few elections and in the run up to another election we get more bullshit like this.
So, how much did this cost to air?
$2mil, 5mil, 10?
I dunno

I can tell you though with that kind of money you can throw together something a bit more than 30seconds of airtime and give some young school age kids out there a road awareness course and education which will stay with them for a lifetime and maybe not have them wrapped around a pole one day... and actually have an appreciable effect on the road tolls and accidents.

Hell. Want an immediate effect on the road toll? Fill in some f*cking holes in the astoundingly craptacular roads which do their fair share of accidents and deaths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:48 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
whilst money is always an issue, propaganda/PR will always have money thrown at it. its either one ad or another !

driver training money would have to come from somewhere else and we would cop the expense once again.

the cheapest/easiest implementation in my mind is to just make it harder and more complex to pass driving tests. more actual driving, less staring at pc screens. this puts the responsibility on drivers to make sure they are up to scratch before being given the green light to go on the roads unrestricted.

from my experience, the number of shit drivers i come across whilst driving far out number the 'hoons' i come across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:38 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Up until recently I've been a big advocate of driver training.

What I found out was that advanced driving courses seem to have the opposite effect on people than you'd expect. I always thought after doing a bit on the skidpan, people would realise how bad they are at driving, and be more careful.

Unfortunately, most people get a buzz from the skidpan and they end up going home with the dorifto bug...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:43 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
You dont feel that way after the motorcycle rider training days though.

Do that same thing for cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:24 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Good point!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:05 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
Arkhaeon wrote:
You dont feel that way after the motorcycle rider training days though.

Do that same thing for cars.

Exactly!!!!

And on Motorbikes, you do step-up courses enabling you to ride more powerful bikes as you advance, this should be considered for cars as well, dont just blanket ban 'powerful' cars, place cars into 3 categories (or more), something like shit box, family car, performance deamon and you have to prove you can drive sort of safely and your allowed in a shitbox, proove you can drive safely, your allowed to drive a family powered car, and if you can prove you have the skill levels deamed adequite, you can drive deamons around.

And dont have 1 rule in NSW, another totally different rule in Qld, and something completely different to the other 2 in Victoria (and other states), have a blanket licencing system Australia wide, Let the states control the demerit point schemes, and set their own systems up, but have the same licence gategories and rules australia wide.

Brisbane for eg, at the time of this post an L and P plater doesn't need to display their L and P-plates, where as NSW that's a demerit finable offence.

Victoria, if you want to turn right and your crossing a tram line, you have to merge to the left, wait for all vehicle traffic and trams, and then your allowed to turn right.

Make the standards the SAME everywhere, and there will be no problems.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:02 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S13
Turbo_Brian wrote:
Victoria, if you want to turn right and your crossing a tram line, you have to merge to the left, wait for all vehicle traffic and trams, and then your allowed to turn right.

Make the standards the SAME everywhere, and there will be no problems.

B.

Not the best example there as other states don't have trams (no, i don't count Sydney's light rail as trams).
Believe it or not, but different states have different road conditions.
I'm not saying that one set of road rules shouldn't be applied country-wide, but big changes (to roads and other tranport lines such as tram lines, driver education etc) will need to be put in place before that could happen, and that would cost more money than it's worth.
But then again, a decent driver should be able to adapt to the different road rules/conditions and a smart person would read up on those rules prior to driving in a different state.
I live in NSW, but I've driven in QLD and WA as well. I had no problems in either.
I feel that the P plate laws should be the same country-wide though. Did you know in WA you only have to be on P plates for 1 year (like the old NSW system)? WA also dont make you do a road worthiness cert every time you renew your rego. You'd think that would mean there would be loads of shitbox cars on the road, and while there are quite a few like that, they are far from the majority.
Funny though, the one thing other states have that shines above NSW is their road quality. Driving in Perth and in brisbane I don't recall even SEEING a single pot hole, let alone driving into one.

back on topic.
I've spent over 3 years of my life working in an advertising company, so I know roughly how much ads cost, although I believe goverment bodies get cheaper rates. None the less, if they spent half their advertising budget on fixing up sydney's shit roads I think we'd be seeing far less accidents than this advertisement will ever save.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:23 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
SamBo wrote:
Believe it or not, but different states have different road conditions.
I'm not saying that one set of road rules shouldn't be applied country-wide, but big changes (to roads and other tranport lines such as tram lines, driver education etc) will need to be put in place before that could happen, and that would cost more money than it's worth.
But then again, a decent driver should be able to adapt to the different road rules/conditions and a smart person would read up on those rules prior to driving in a different state.
I live in NSW, but I've driven in QLD and WA as well. I had no problems in either.

I have driven in NSW (learned here), Qld, Victoria, SA and NT (Canberra as well, but I dont class that any different to NS).

I haven't had issues adapting to the different roads, nor sticking to the rules, they are similar, but not 100% the same.

I agree 100% that if the Advertisement budget was halved and the other money used on the re-conditioning of the roads, there would be a significant difference in accidents, and you would also be able to review some of the speed limits as well.

There needs to be a massive restructure of the roads, the rules, and especially the members of the commities looking into this stuff.

I would love to know the average age, and the youngest and older age of people that sit down and discuss this stuff, because they need to include P-platers in the p-plater debates, as the information they can provide is pure GOLD in what they require to make accurate and sane decisions in fixing the 'problem' that exists.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:04 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Oops, I did it again. (NSFW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:27 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I have a bald head,and I take offense to that.

Justin...

P.S. Seriously,I loved it! Top work!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:01 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
hahahah dude that kicked ass!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:37 am 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
cypher1024 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA the yelling bit at the start is classic!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:01 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

i want a silvia wrote:
cypher1024 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA the yelling bit at the start is classic!! :lol:

The sad thing about that is it wasn't staged - it was taken from another video. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: SW20 MR2
kornzfreak_84 wrote:
Am I the only one that is on the RTA side?

No matter what they try, everyone bags out their methods, I actually feel sorry for them.

I think the new campaign is actually good. Very soon you will see people wiggling their pinkies everywhere.

Whether this curbs the death rate, remains to be seen. But at least they ARE trying.

Increased driver education and skill testing is a very good idea, but no matter how much you hammer it into a dumbass that speeds, they will never learn.

Attack their intelligence, didn't work.
Attack their flexibility, didn't work.
Attack their ego, who knows.

My two cents.

+1, i think these adds will work... these are the commercials i would support cause all the other RTA commercials looked at the drivers only. If they showed drink driving commercials and how it affected everyone around you it would be successful. ie, man loses licence - cant get to work and lose job then loses family; man paralyses himself and family are looking after him for the rest of his life; man kills his mates and has to face thier families at a funeral... etc... you get the idea...

Other peoples oppinions matter...

The tosser campaign about littering worked for a while until they took off air.. its very similar to this 'everyone thinks little of you' campaign.

I think the commercial channels and media should step in and support the RTA by excluding airtime cost or even help produce these commercials.

SCathing: Oh, i dont think rego has gone up because of these adds. I think too many 4wd drivers ran over their own kids in their own driveways which has made a bullshit MCIS double dipping in the CTP. Your own driveway is not public road therefor should not fall under CTP for injuries.

+1 for bike licence, but the cost will be outragous and location would be a problem. The average booking time for an upright course in Syd is 4-6 weeks. The testing area for bikes is very small. For a car doing top speed of 30kph would require be 4 times the size of the upright course and not many places can accomodate for it.

Yrs 9-12 in schools should take out scripture and introduce basic driving classes. Videos and a simple sit behind the wheel and inspect a vehicle should be enough. I dont expect them to touch the ignition at all... change the attitudes at a this time and it should reflect a lifetime.

sorry about the long ran.... Just got my net back after being capped for 5 days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:41 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Mako wrote:
+1, i think these adds will work... these are the commercials i would support cause all the other RTA commercials looked at the drivers only. If they showed drink driving commercials and how it affected everyone around you it would be successful. ie, man loses licence - cant get to work and lose job then loses family; man paralyses himself and family are looking after him for the rest of his life; man kills his mates and has to face thier families at a funeral... etc... you get the idea...

Other peoples oppinions matter....

Yes, other people's opinions do matter. The problem is that the pinkie response is a pretty much complete fallacy. Come on, the guy's mates in the VL would be egging him on, not saying he has a small dick for drifting (albeit badly). The ad agency seems to think that we'll believe anything we see on tv. I say give us our two million dollars back.

The road toll in Australia isn't that bad. I know it sounds harsh, but there's enough education already. If you kill yourself in a car, it's just Darwinian evolution at work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next