Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:06 am 
TO4

Car: Silvia S13 K's
Am I the only one that is on the RTA side?

No matter what they try, everyone bags out their methods, I actually feel sorry for them.

I think the new campaign is actually good. Very soon you will see people wiggling their pinkies everywhere.

Whether this curbs the death rate, remains to be seen. But at least they ARE trying.

Increased driver education and skill testing is a very good idea, but no matter how much you hammer it into a dumbass that speeds, they will never learn.

Attack their intelligence, didn't work.
Attack their flexibility, didn't work.
Attack their ego, who knows.

My two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:16 am 
T78

Car: 180SX Kouki
Step 4: Profit =)

Maybe their next step will simply just be " Attack them " ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:13 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

My take on the RTAs new ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myMuVciDvbQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:08 am 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
Beautiful! Vote Cypher for God!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:22 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
JayS14 wrote:
Did'nt the goverment make it illegal for car companies to have/show irresponsible driveing in ads?
Then why can the RTA show it?

If you're not selling cars, you can make cars do anything you want in ads.

Go figure.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:22 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

However, it is quite tempting to report the ad to the Advertising Standards Bureau on the basis that its depicting hoonish behaviour.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:38 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
Scathing wrote:
However, it is quite tempting to report the ad to the Advertising Standards Bureau on the basis that its depicting hoonish behaviour.

hmmm.. what did that guy do in the blue calais there?

Hmmm might have to try it... will my car do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:57 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
I have submitted my complaint to the Advertising Standards Bureau for investigation....

Told them that the Advertisement refers to "Speeding, knowbody thinks big of you", and shows 3 depictions of illegal behaviour performed on what appears to be public roads with other pedestrians also on the road.

I also informed them about the fact this advertisement is meant to be aimed at speeding drivers, but a burnout, an obviously dangerous drift, and someone failing to stop for a pedestrian at a crossing does not show the taget "speeding" that the advertisement refers to, so I fail to see how the illegal depictions are relevant to the target subject.

I understand they are trying to use the campaign to reduce hoonish behaviour on the roads of New South Wales, but there are already copy-cats that think 'it's awesome' and are trying the stuff seen.

Also, why is it not approved for someone like Holden to show their new Storm Utility vehicle drifing in circles causing a "wind storm" (was declared to be performing circle work, not building up a storm which Holden claimed), yet the RTA can depict obvious hoon-like dangerous behaviour openly and widely across the screens of New South Wales TV Viewers.

It's like the government has 1 rule for some, and another rule for them.

B.

P.S. I will update when I receive a reply back, I submitted the complaint through their weblink

http://www.adstandards.com.au/pages/complaints.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:40 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: 180sx
It' the same old crap, they need some real guts and i.e. legislation that no polly would ever put foward :x e.g. no ponits, no fines EVER for any and all traffic offences, BUT speed (etc) 1st time, 1 month suspension, 2nd time 6 months, 3rd 12 ms, 4th 2 years. Drive without a lic 1 month in jail for the 1st time and so forth:o No P's BS all drivers, all ages, male, female, young, old, end rant now! :wink:

legs, who appreciates a good fuc-
shia garden, classical music and tal-
king without getting too serious.
But please only read lines 1, 3 and 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:21 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
kornzfreak_84 wrote:
No matter what they try, everyone bags out their methods, I actually feel sorry for them.

maybe it's because everything they try is stupid, and in most cases has had no/an adverse effect and wasting tax payers money and giving certain groups a bad name.

kornzfreak_84 wrote:
But at least they ARE trying..

Are they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:33 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: sileighty
if they were trying thered be manadatory training courses, like motobikes.

formerly 3AM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:38 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

kornzfreak_84 wrote:
Whether this curbs the death rate, remains to be seen. But at least they ARE trying.

Trying, and failing. To quote Sean Connery in The Rock:

"Losers whine about trying their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen."

If the RTA tried something that wasn't just a knee-jerk reaction to public pressure and instead sat down and formulated a considered course of action, there would probably be a lot less ridicule. Its so easy to poke holes in what they try because its so weak.

They ban high performance cars, but they don't bother with doing power/weight so P platers can still drive Integra Type-Rs, Lotus Elises, PRB Clubmans, S2000s etc...but can't drive an entry model Mercedes C Class, Volvo S40T, any Saab, etc because even though their power is lower and their weight is higher they're forced induction.

That's before you get into the fact that those latter cars have far more benign suspension setups, and far superior passive and active safety systems.

They're now banning people from carrying a full carload of people at night, which pretty heavily curtails any "designated driver" program that kids might willingly do.

And they run ads which are pretty irrelevant, and done in such a way that's going to invite ridicule rather than reflection. The Ford ute crash ad is a big shake-up; this is just inviting people to take the piss.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:59 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Scathing wrote:
The Ford ute crash ad is a big shake-up; this is just inviting people to take the piss.

I dunno about that, i was left wondering how did he not see the truck considering how flat the landscape was. Go for a drive down menagle road. If you can't see traffic 500m before you catch them you aren't paying attention

Pretty much the same thought for the 60-65 braking comparison, apparently when the brake is depressed falcon owners lose all ability to avoid obstacles. Not saying i don't agree with 50/60km/h speed limits in residential areas either, just the ad was ridiculous.

Now the kombi veering into the side of a truck, i can see as a "real" situation. (driver fatigue adds from the late 90's/early00's for anyone who doesn't remember)

I suppose at the end of the day some people will associate with one ad, and other's won't. I think the reaction from the public to the current one is fairly negative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:12 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
badhairdave wrote:
Scathing wrote:
The Ford ute crash ad is a big shake-up; this is just inviting people to take the piss.
Pretty much the same thought for the 60-65 braking comparison, apparently when the brake is depressed falcon owners lose all ability to avoid obstacles. Not saying i don't agree with 50/60km/h speed limits in residential areas either, just the ad was ridiculous.

There was a 60/65km/h advertisement (might be the same one) where they crashed 2 identicval cars into the side of a truck.

My issue with that advertisement was the way they crashed the cars.

I mean they had the 60km/h car crash into the side, impact zone being the entire front end of the vehicle.

Then they show the 65km/h car crash, into the corner edge of the vehicle and truck, shoing massive amounts of damage, and a huge disaster.

The damage was not due to the extra 5km/h speed where it takes a further 20 meters to slow down, it was because the entire impact zone was cenralised into 10cms of the car's front corner.

Comparitively speaking, the 60km/h car had a 1 tonne impact spread over a 1.8 meter front bumperbar.

The 65km/h car had a 1 tonne impact spread over 10cms, so I wonder why there was a massive difference in damage hey???

If the RTA was serious in fixing the issue, they would spend money on driver training, driver education, and FACTUAL advertising if they went down that path.

They may be correct in their estimations of distance and braking at speeds, but trying to show harsher damage by centralising impact zones doesn't wash, it's like they believe the general public is completely dumb and uneducated, we are not, we are just as smart as the people designing the advertisements, and tbhis latest set is stupid.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:03 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
kornzfreak_84 wrote:
I think the new campaign is actually good. Very soon you will see people wiggling their pinkies everywhere.

i tend to agree, infact i was reading somewhere girls have been spotted doing the wiggle already. Being that males are always wanting to impress the ladies, it may have some effect. although its hard to gauge the effect and whether it will catch on or not.

it is definately narrow in its target audience, and unless you are part of that target (bogan in commondoor :D ) i think your perspective is a bit irrelevant. but i mean why complain, i dont think any of us want would want an import on the ad doing a drift etc and although women are not depicted as part of the problem, in reality they really arent ('hoon behaviour') and political correctness is not going to do reality any favours.

also it seems like as mentioned, no matter what the RTA does people have been on the bandwagon to critisice and although 99% of the time they deserve it, they are trying something NEW and different and its worth waiting to see what happens. problem is, they are aiming at cultural change which is long term and hard to measure.

one thing it has done for sure though, is that its made everyone notice and remember.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next