It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoons Hit Where it Hurts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:25 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Quote:
In a bold bid to cut speeding deaths on our roads, authorities have designed a campaign to shame men into driving slower.

Built around the slogan "Speeding. No one thinks big of you", the campaign implies that men who drive fast are only doing so to compensate for having small appendages.

See advert here

In explaining the campaign, the RTA says: "Many young guys see speeding as cool.

"All the ads in the world showing the serious injury and death that speeding can cause are becoming less effective.

"Increasingly, young guys simply reject this message. They have an 'it won't happen to me attitude'.

"The 'Speeding. No one thinks big of you' campaign takes a totally different approach.

"It offers young drivers an immediate consequence speed and people will think poorly of you.

"It purposely talks to young guys in their language.

"Testing of the finished ad has shown this is a very salient thought that will change young drivers' behaviour. It could very well be the thread that unravels the mindset that speeding is cool."

Source: Courier Mail (and rest of the article there)

How fucking stupid is the RTA? They reckon this one ad is going to change young drivers' behaviour? Its also a bit sexist - there are more than a few girls in the automotive subculture these days.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:51 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
Young people are going to speed, that's the way it is, and has been.

People don't speed because it's 'cool'. They speed because they're in a hurry or want the thrill. The zero tollerence on speeding wasn't a bad idea, haven't really heard of it being enforced though. A higher police presence would make all the difference i think, and not unmarked blue 380 mitsubishis. I've noticed a significant lack of highway patrol, and yeah i love it, but they should probably start there before grasping at straws with these little ads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:17 pm 

Car: MKV Golf
I saw this ad last night and I thought it was pretty funny actually. At least none of them are in imports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:19 pm 
Twin T04

Car: 92 Silvia Q, 93 180sx

stolen shamelessly from

http://www.performanceforums.com/forums ... t=67219299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:22 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
CraZeeE wrote:
Sick offset :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:01 pm 
T88 Hybrid

Car: Nissan silvia s13
The RTA should stop advertising their name and use the money for something more useful instead of throwing it on ads like that. End result not alot has changed in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:54 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
when's the girl's version 'talking on the phone whilst driving makes you ugly!' coming out?

seriously,attacking guy's egos is the best way they could come up with to try and cut down on young driver speeding? that's a fucking joke.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:45 pm 
T88 Hybrid

Car: Nissan silvia s13
I agree Justin with attacking guys ego is a joke, but one ad I thought was alright was the cigratte ad where it tells people "Dont be a tosser". Thought that was alright for an ad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:09 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1990 Nissan Silvia
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/ad ... fid=pinkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:27 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
fergo308 wrote:
seriously,attacking guy's egos is the best way they could come up with to try and cut down on young driver speeding? that's a fucking joke.

Justin...

With all the P-plater restrictions, and other bullshit they are doing, it's just going to achieve a delayed reaction to stupid driving.

Stop the adds, stop the bullshit, and actually educate the drivers.

Think about it, you force Joe Citizen to drive around for 3 yrs in a Holden Barina, or a Ford Festiva, or some other slow-mobile because he just got his P-plates.

Come 3 yrs, poor Joe is only going to know that full acceleration gets him off the lights in a timely and reliable manner.

Now poor Joe comes off his P-platers, and ont6o open licence, and he has been waiting and saving for this moment, trades his Festiva POS in for a GTR Skyline.

Now the poor guy has never experienced wheel spin, sliding, or spooling, so he's got to re-learn everything all over again.

Not to mention now he thinks he has 12 points, he is going to feel a little more comfortable to open the foot up, considering he has plenty of demerit points up his sleave.

Joe has not shown any real skill to the RTA to be able to drive such a car, other than he has avoided being caught by the police for a period of 3 yrs.

What the RTA needs to do is increase the skills required to actually pass a P-plater test, make it harder to pass, make the drivers show PROOF they can drive, and if they really want to go far enough, maybe a phyc test to see if some drivers are mature enough to drive by themselves.

To bad if someone learns in a turbochaged or supercharged car, or even a V8 and then once they prove they have learnt to drive, they then have to stop driving because the family only owns a Commondore, because then when the driver finally gets a car they can drive, they have lost touch with driving, or if they wait out the P-plater time and start driving, they have lost skill from not practicing.

RTA are probably a bunch of old pricks sitting around in a meeting motioning and seconding the ideas purely so their name looks inportant on the minutes of the meeting, without actually putting any though or planning into what they are proposing.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:15 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
CraZeeE wrote:

There are some better ones up now. I lol'ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:36 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: S15
how about spending the money on something which kills more people and does more damage than speeding? Road condition. pot holes and poor road condition are the cause of a ass load of accidents and damage. if u think this is rubish hae a look at all the cars involve in accidents recently during the rain and see what a poor draining road leads to (one less autech at least)

if the roads were half decent we could have higher speed limits like the german autobahn and if anyone wants to go fast they can pay their toll and go for it. the road there is awesome and any crap box can turn a corner at 130 Kph if its a well made banked turn like the auto bahn.

this crap about speeding pisses me off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:57 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
3 things the RTA should be focussing on for reducing the death toll:

1) Driver Training, dont let the drivers learn in EVERYTHING and ANYTHING, and then once they learn turn around and deny them the cars they may have learnt in (at least teach the drivers PROPER driving, make the P-plater test a little harsher).

2) Improve the conditions of the roads, including speed limits and signage.
People winge they drove 60km/h through a 40 zone becuase signs are covered by trees, not visiable enough, etc how about limiting the street sign numbers, and only having enough signs to pass the required info, having 4 speed limit sections through a 5km section is fucking stupid, having speed cameras on hills is also an obvious attempt at revenue, not on.

Improve the road surface to be both smooth AND be able to drain a bit of water when wet, give the roads efficient draining, or if it cant drain water, build a pit and pump, get the water to run into the pit, and pump the pit into a passing storm water drain, it's not rocket science.

Set the speed limits for the road conditions, why reduce a speed limit because the road condition is shit, how about repairing the road and leaving the speed limit alone. NSW roads are in 'average' condition, so they have reduce limits to catter for the reduced road condition, but they haven't through about repairing the roads.

3) Increase the skills requirement to actually be able to drive alone on the roads. I know people that would winge about this, but if you cant show you have proper skills to handle a car, then you shouldn't be alone in the car until you can handle it. (guess it comes under training, but I am refering here to increasing the skills show during the Driver Ability test you have to do before getting your P-platers.

RTA shouldn't look at restricting drivers and cars, but they should look at forcing drivers to prove they can actually drive, and not just pass a test.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:18 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Did'nt the goverment make it illegal for car companies to have/show irresponsible driveing in ads?
Then why can the RTA show it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:57 pm 
T78

Car: 180SX Kouki
The Nazi's are at it again! GO NAZI'S GO!