Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
MAXBOOST wrote:
i want a silvia wrote:
...I actually had to cut my numberplates to fit my car...

Im pretty sure you can get in trouble for that too... Might want to check it out..

-Mitch

Yah the plates don't actually belong to the registered owner of the vehicle. They are the RTA's so you can't cut them. But i don't think they'll care too much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:07 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
i want a silvia wrote:
If the RTA is happy to provide Euro style plates which fit perfectly the Euro sized plate holders, who not Japanese ones?

Those Euro style plates have only been around for a couple of years. My family's owned a BMW for longer than those plates have been available, and on the rare occasions I was allowed to borrow the car I had no problems slotting in my L and P plates onto them right next to the plates.

And, once again, those cars were Australian delivered vehicles so who knows what else they did to have them comply with Australian conditions relative to their domestic market counterparts. Australia has ADRs which force manufacturers to make specific changes to the car not required anywhere else.

i want a silvia wrote:
I actually had to cut my numberplates to fit my car.

Frankly, if a car is deemed to comply with all Australian laws (as it was), then surely the onus is on the RTA, not myself, to provide number plates which fit properly? Anyway, back on topic...

A part of the ADR is that your license plate be clearly visible on the car as well. There are rules about how license plates can be rejected; I am quite curious to know if modifying them is one reason for rejection.

i want a silvia wrote:
The illogic lies in the fact that in implementing these changes, they have allowed no exemptions for P-platers whose vehicles can not accommodate for any style of P-plate except for ones inside the window.

Like I said, that's your problem not theirs. Their problem is ensuring that learner and provisional (i.e. novice) drivers are clearly noticable by other road users. And they've made steps to resolve it within the bounds of reasonability (its not like they're forcing you to stick roof racks on the car and mount the plates on them, professional instructor style).

Like I said, the S14 and S15 don't have any issues with fitment. My Z doesn't. None of the Euro cars bearing non-Euro plates do (and, bear in mind, in Europe they don't have to wear those plates so its not like the manufacturers provisioned the vehicles allowing for it with their style of plate anyway).

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:10 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
Scathing wrote:
Like I said, that's your problem not theirs.

Indeed, it is my problem.

Doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

I understand the justification behind it, but that still doesn't solve my problem at all.

-Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:12 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Serial Killa wrote:
Yah the plates don't actually belong to the registered owner of the vehicle. They are the RTA's so you can't cut them. But i don't think they'll care too much

So, in other words, if his car required him to cut his plates in order to fit them then it isn't technically street legal, as the car is incapable of displaying his plates prominently on the rear without having to break another law (damaging the license plates).

It may have passed inspection, but then we all know there's a world of difference between a car getting rego'ed and a car actually being legal.

It basically renders his comments about the RTA having to design plates for his car moot. The premise of his assertion was that his car is legal when it is, in fact, not.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:14 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

i want a silvia wrote:
Indeed, it is my problem.

Doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

I understand the justification behind it,

If you understand the justification behind it, their logic's just fine. Its just inconvenient :)

Its a tough break. Can't you cable tie the P plate under your license plate? I've also seen some guys duct tape the P plate to the rear bar.

And, as we all know, race cars use cable ties and duct tape all the time to stick bits of bodywork back onto the vehicle so it must be cool.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:23 pm 
Twin T66

The only thing is, inevitably some dipshit will rip them off. For farks sake, it happened all the time in my S13, and I even drove my Dad's SV6 commodore the other day with some plastic p-plates wedged behind the number plates, and some farkhead stole one of them! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:26 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
so keep plenty of spares in the car. they are free yes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:30 pm 
Twin T66

ZEi20T wrote:

Not the magnetic ones, which are the only ones which will be able to go on my car (scratching the paint comes for free). :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:31 pm 
T51

Car: bogankart
yep, free... ask for extras, i used to go back every fortnight to get more. heh

i dont like shoving my plates in between the windscreen and dash anyway.. it usually ends up flying in my face when ive got the window down. I don't see this law as illogical.. hmm.. although if they started making us pay to get more plates, then yep.. certainly would create quite abit of rage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:35 pm 
T51

Car: bogankart
i want a silvia wrote:
ZEi20T wrote:

Not the magnetic ones, which are the only ones which will be able to go on my car (scratching the paint comes for free). :x

the plates come with poke-able holes in them.. poke two holes out and zip tie them to your numberplate brackets.

ill grab you some magnetic ones from my workplace and bring it to a meet after i can drive again lol.. stop ya bitchin`

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:24 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
The black number plates fit in the rear bar of S13s with no cutting or bending necessary. It doesnt bother me having bent plates to fit, but if youre worried about it, there is a legal alternative.

Also, P plates can be quite easily attached to the underside of the rear number plate bracket. There are two metal hooks that hang down behind the plate. If you pull the plate towards you, you can slip a P plate between the hook and the plate, and the clamping force is sufficient enough for it never to come loose.
Same with the front; pull the corner of the plate forward, and you can wedge the plate between the bar and the plate. Once again, this doesnt move.
Go to the RTA and take a glovebox full of P plates from them, and check your car every time you drive.

In my 180, I had a stick on P in my front window which was easily visible (and not even the prick southern highlands cops questioned it), teamed with a plastic P behind the rear number plate, due to the angle of the 180s hatch not letting you see the P if you put it in the rear window.

The new laws arent targetting YOU Pete; theyre effecting you as a result of them targetting the fuckwits that think a P plate sitting flat on their parcel shelf, behind 5% tint, is 'conspicuous'.

We all get reamed thanks to others' stupidity.. insurance premiums affect us all thanks to the idiots that give under 25s a bad name, power restrictions affect new P platers thanks to idiots that take their dads GT-R for a thrash and kill themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:26 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

hahahaha. i can get my full licence now just have to book in for a test! ban all p-platers from driving i say!!! hahahahahhaa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:30 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
I was under the impression that having you Ps inside your windows was always illegal, i guess it wasn't though.
I'm sure it was back when i was on my Ps but that was a long time ago now.

Yeah you're a bit of a winger though, if you can't make a small plastic rectangle visible on the back/frpont of ANY car you aren't trying very hard/at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:35 pm 

Car: MKV Golf
Nebuchernezzer wrote:
I was under the impression that having you Ps inside your windows was always illegal, i guess it wasn't though.

That's what I thought also. Back in the early-mid 90's you weren't allowed to have your plates inside the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:58 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
BT wrote:
Nebuchernezzer wrote:

That's what I thought also. Back in the early-mid 90's you weren't allowed to have your plates inside the car.

Agreed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next