Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: information on defects
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:03 pm 
T25

Car: r32 skyline GTST type M
Hi all,
I am looking at buying a 180sx that has currently got a few defects against it.

I have never been defected so have no idea what is required to clear them (I am assuming returning defected parts to stock??)

The defects listed against the car are pod filter, electronic boost control and front mount.

I am a little confused as; I thought that pod filters were legal (assuming they are mounted securely) I have no idea why EBC's are illegal ( guessing emissions???) and front mount coolers, what is the problem with them, in essence they are basically a radiator, which is also front mounted.

So apart from not knowing the reasons why the specific items were defected, what must I do if I buy this car to get the defects listed (would love it if there is a way to get the defects removed without dramasl of getting and fitting factory parts.

Also are defects listed in the rego details, as the car is registered in a different state to that which I will be registering it.

On another note, I owned a 180sx about 6 years ago, ,and a r32 about 3-4 years ago and was never (not once) pulled over by the police for an inspection. Have things got nasty in the import scene in my absence, or are the people who are getting pulled and checked driving in a manner that draws attention to themselves. I am going to get another 180 (as I miss my old one, and have ever since I sold it) but am a little worried about the inconvenience of getting pulled over every time I leave my driveway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:41 pm 
T88

Car: Silvia S13
richard wrote:
Hi all,
I am looking at buying a 180sx that has currently got a few defects against it.

well you can't transfer rego until its cleared...so thats upto the guy that owns it to clear it...

richard wrote:
I have never been defected so have no idea what is required to clear them (I am assuming returning defected parts to stock??)

The defects listed against the car are pod filter, electronic boost control and front mount.

probably need a authorised vehicle inspection station to get it cleared, and also getting it fixed too of course, put the pod in a SEALED box, engineer the front mount and as for EBC...well unless its on your dash or obstructing vision out the front window then thats a bit of a wank IMHO...

richard wrote:
I am a little confused as; I thought that pod filters were legal (assuming they are mounted securely) I have no idea why EBC's are illegal ( guessing emissions???) and front mount coolers, what is the problem with them, in essence they are basically a radiator, which is also front mounted.

its not factory...and it is obstructing the front impact zone of the vehicle, could excessively injure a pedestrian etc, and u probably had to do some sort of mods to get it to fit in the front bar...

richard wrote:
So apart from not knowing the reasons why the specific items were defected, what must I do if I buy this car to get the defects listed (would love it if there is a way to get the defects removed without dramasl of getting and fitting factory parts.

Also are defects listed in the rego details, as the car is registered in a different state to that which I will be registering it.

i've heard defects are listed on the plates...but who knows really...

different state = different rules so defects probably don't carry over...dont quote me on this, but theoretically u could deregister it there, and then register it here and off u go...altho coming from another state it will probably require a full RTA inspection...

richard wrote:
On another note, I owned a 180sx about 6 years ago, ,and a r32 about 3-4 years ago and was never (not once) pulled over by the police for an inspection. Have things got nasty in the import scene in my absence, or are the people who are getting pulled and checked driving in a manner that draws attention to themselves.

yep basically the poilce patrol and have cracked down on the modified car scene of late...i went from never being pulled over...to having had 2 defects (one a red sticker) and being pulled over 3 times (no i wasn't doing anything stupid at the time)

richard wrote:
I am going to get another 180 (as I miss my old one, and have ever since I sold it) but am a little worried about the inconvenience of getting pulled over every time I leave my driveway.

hehe these days...expect it :P and get a runaround as well :P and make your car as legal as you can get it and then when they check it out, everything will be fine.

Quote:
I like to drive the car, not look at lines on paper :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:41 am 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
oRiCLe wrote:
...make your car as legal as you can get it and then when they check it out, everything will be fine.

PFFT put your crack pipe down! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:00 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
oRiCLe wrote:
richard wrote:

probably need a authorised vehicle inspection station to get it cleared, and also getting it fixed too of course, put the pod in a SEALED box, engineer the front mount and as for EBC...well unless its on your dash or obstructing vision out the front window then thats a bit of a wank IMHO...
I think EBC are a no no due to that it vent to atmo (a little bit any way)

oRiCLe wrote:
richard wrote:
On another note, I owned a 180sx about 6 years ago, ,and a r32 about 3-4 years ago and was never (not once) pulled over by the police for an inspection. Have things got nasty in the import scene in my absence, or are the people who are getting pulled and checked driving in a manner that draws attention to themselves.

yep basically the poilce patrol and have cracked down on the modified car scene of late...i went from never being pulled over...to having had 2 defects (one a red sticker) and being pulled over 3 times (no i wasn't doing anything stupid at the time)
Sort of the same with me, never been defected untill last weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:34 am 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
JayS14 wrote:
Sort of the same with me, never been defected untill last weekend.

Where man? Don't tell me the fuzz are starting to crack down in our locale? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:51 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
It was just after hornsby, Bold rear tyers.