Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:39 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: silvia k's ca18det
Hi guys,
I'm in a shitty mood.... As some of you know my car has a busted head gasket and possibly some head damage.... I've been speaking to a well-respected mechanic who my gf's dad happens to have dealt with in the past, but now the mechanic has decided to stuff me around... He said he would pick my car up from my gf's place yesterday evening..... I was speaking to her at around 7pm and he hadn't picked the car, so i was straight on the blower to him!! "I was about to call you mate, I got tied up with another job I said I'd have done today, so I've only jsut elft the garage.... I can probably pick it up around 1-2pm tomorrow" bullshit anyway, Carly's (my gf) sister is mates with his sone, they went motorbike riding, not working!! Ok fair enough, lunch time ins't too bad anyway. Although the place is an hour by train from work and an hour adn a half from home....

I'm taking an hour off to leave early to get to his house this arv early enough to go and have a look at the gnine and discuss needs, wants, work to be carried out and price.... So I call him at 12pm sharp today. "Yeha everything is going to plan I should be able to pick it up at 3:30" fuck!! Bastard. "Will you have it apart this arv as planned, I'm taking time off work to come see you....." I said. "Yeah I shoudl have it done by 7:30 - 8pm, but you'd be ebst to come tomorrow probably". The thing is guys I can't go tomorrow, today is the only day for possibly near 3 weeks I can fucking go!!! I don't have a car or licence at the moment, and tonight is the alst night I can stay at my gf's place for about 3 weeks(hence why I can't get to the mechanics)....

Now I could go on Saturday possibly, BUT I'd be with my brother, and he doesn't know the car is broken and isn't supposed to find out, and besides, if I leave it till Saturday there goes 2 good days which he could have worked on the car....

As youc an imagine form my novel I am a little ticked off..... I have no doubt his work will be good, if he ever fucking does it!!
/rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:32 pm 
T25

Car: s16
just want to let u know that my car is running fine :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:33 pm 
T88

Car: Bike: Kwa ZX2-R, Ma R6, Daytona 675
Most mechanics are arseholes, who only want to sound very optimistic and shit because they want to have your business and keep you on the other end without running off to another mechanic. I say "most" because there are some genuinely good mechanics out there who won't give you a bullshit time frame or price without thieving your parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:08 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
need a hand? I finish at 530 tomorrow :D

edit: but im not driving to BRISBANE!! :oops: oops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:54 pm 
T88

Car: Jap Spec S15
Man seriously go to another mechanic. My rule that i follow is that if they fuck around with you the first time, they will do it again. So go get another mechanic, or go to http://www.nissansilvia.com and ask around for a good mechanic is brisbane that people have gone to before.
1)dont let people stuff you around
2)if he is, obviously he doesnt want your business(motobike riding?)
3)when you do get your car to another mechanic, ring him back up and tell him to get F'ked.

well thats my opinion.
PS:dont get offended if i sound really rude, just i hate it when people stuff you around u know wot i mean?

cheers
n0rmo
(and if ur not from brisbane, But from NSW i know a top bloke for ya, gimme a PM)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:50 am 
T51 Hybrid

Thanks for the offer serial killa, but it would be a fair hike up to Bris :P

The mechanic has my car and he's working on it now.... I'm going to go over to his house this arv (which is a bit stupid, cause yesterday was the only day that I could really go, but I'm managering...) and see how it looks... I'll give him a chance to see how he goes, cause I have heard quite a few good reports on his work. If his work is good and he doesn't stuff me round anymore he may get repeat business, otherwise I'll just find someone else ;) The two truck didn't help matter either, he was an hour late and took an hour to get to the workshop (should have taken maybe 20 mins). I've managed to calm down a touch, but we'll see how things go this arv. My gf was more cranky about it than me :P She siad (at 8pm) call him and say "Hi Tim, what time did youw ant me to come over tonight to have a look at this engine?" and much more... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:52 am 
T51 Hybrid

Well the mechanic finally decided to do some bloody work. He should have it apart right now. I'm heading out tonight to check it out adn discuss it all. Port and polish might be on the cards while the head is off :D With any luck I'll have it back for my birthday cruise on the 26th June. All he needs is new VRS/gaskets, machining of head. Not too much really... Possibly a port and polish, if he can't do it all in a week adn a half something is worng.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:42 am 
T51 Hybrid

Went out to the worksop last night for a chat with Tim. It's going to cost about $2000 and will be ready next Friday for the cruis on Saturday. It was worse thanw e thought. It also needs new rings, and he's going to clean up the cylinders and hone it as well. I'm not 100% sure what the "honing" involves, can someone please clear this up for me?? I have a basic idea, but not too sure.
Head was warped very badly. Ie. letting water into 3cyl!! That should be fixed toay though.
It is kinda a silver lining ot a dark cloud. Sure it's going to cost heaps and take longer, BUT at least I'll know my engine is strong and not going to breka again anytime soon when it's done.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:17 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
honing is just a light "roughing up" of the bore surface, which helps bed in the new rings, and can also polish off some minor surface imperfections in the bore.

I'd be wary of going on a cruise as soon as you get the car back.
If anything's going to go wrong it'll go wrong shortly after it's put back together, and you'll also need to keep it at low rpm during the run in period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:34 pm 
T51 Hybrid

cool, thanks dude :) we won't be driving hard at all, Carly will be in the drivers seat ;) I doubt it will get over 2500 - 3000 rpm :)
Usually around 1000k's is it for the run in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:36 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
yeah generally, then change the oil and filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:55 pm 
T51 Hybrid

cool, thanks mate :) It's getting new oil and filter when the repairs get done, damn cars :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:39 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Well everyone, the shitty mood from the start of the thread has now mutated into somewhat happy and excited mood.... For today I get my baby back, all fixed up and ready to go :D With alot of calls, time and money, finally the little s13 will be back where he belongs :D Unfortunately I can not drive it for another 4 months, but hey, what are girlfriends for ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:16 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
LordNafe wrote:
but hey, what are girlfriends for ;)

bad question for me to answer in a public forum :P so ill shuddup now :)

glad to hear you have ur car back! shame you cant drive it......well, get caught driving it anyway hehe but thats not a good idea and no one here would condone that sort of behaviour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:50 am 
T51 Hybrid

Grrrr, it is now Tuesday and the car is still not back from the mechanic..... What a joke!! He got sent the wrong rings, but said he would work late on it on Friday and dedicate Saturday to it to get it done, but noooo he dind't do anything on Saturday on the car, instead he decided to do another job.... He worked 14hrs on it yesterday (as he bloody wel should!!) and got it all together but had an oil leak. He is finishing it today definately (or so I'm told) and I'll be picking it up this arv. Carly will be doing a bit of driving around the town (no huge trips) to get the 500k run-in out of the way.

Anyway that's my rant. On a happy note I saw the HPI drift ca18det s13 on Sunday and had a chat to Ben Ellis the editor :D