Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:56 pm 
T88

Car: Jap Spec S15
hey guys n gals,
well today was just GREAT! after having the car off the road for 2 weeks fitting a S15 turbo in, Put on my new vertex kit....was all sweet, thought i was problem free for the time being, but no....went to my g/friends house ths mourning...and guess wot happened? YEs a old fart across the street tried to reverse park into ME! cracked my new front bar, snapped off the screw holes.(so needs to be remoulded) He claims " gees didnt even see the bloddy thing" and i said " how could you miss it, its black, its in the middle of the day and ITS GOT BLODDY BIG ARSE WHITE FENDERS ON IT(from MFX_R33) so yeah...thats my rant...he didnt even say sorry. He got my details down....dunno wot for...since he is in da wrong... BUt yeah his hands were shaking like shit...couldnt even write properly....the RTA should do something about this. They shouldnt let old people drive. I wouldnt mind paying a bit more tax to provide the oldies with a cheoffer(is dat how u spell it?) well...yeah thats just my rant...
anyone else wanna rant...go ahead!

cheers
normo(not happy jan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:30 pm 
T28

Car: R33 GTST
Well at least he could write. My nan's late brother used to drive his car until the day he died. No joke, it took him 10 minutes to get into the car.

And another uncle, a bit further removed is now 91 and had to hand his license in this year because he lost control of his car while doing a u-turn in his town's main street, and hit the side of a shop...

I don't mean any disrespect for the older population, but honestly they shouldn't be driving. It scares me when I think about these 2 examples in my own family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:42 pm 
T88

thank you for that!
i dont mean to disrespect neither. But it is just plain silly when everyone is blaming young drivers about how they cant drive etc etc...when in front of our own eyes the most probable case of people who cant drive is well, the elderly....well at least im not paying for the damages...
damn just gotta find the time now!! :( to get quotes and get it fixed...damn it, inconvenience i tell ya~!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:33 am 
T78

Car: 180 Sr20d3t
sorry to hear of it normo such a pain in the ass that youre gonna have more downtime due to someones carelessness and inability to perform a basic manouver-
though count youreself lucky i nearly lost my 180 to an old prick- it pains me to read it though-something really needs to be done about this :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:08 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
damn that sucks. you are right tho, there are too many elderly drivers on the road. my own grandfather was not the best in the few years before his licence was revoked (for medical reasons before he died), whenever anyone else was up their way, they would do all the driving. no one wanted to tell him his driving wasnt as good as it used to be - he used to train the army convoy drivers how to drive. maybe its because no one wants to make them feel bad by telling them they are shit drivers.

i thought people over 80 had to take a driving test every year? my grandfather did and for 1 year he was limited to driving no more than 50km from home. pity that didnt let him drive outside coffs harbour as the nearest large town is 55km away :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:40 am 
T88

yeh something really really needs to be done about this. Its just come to the point where i could really write a book about this matter, I mean even if the elderlies were to go for a test once a year, like how many would pass? how many would makes slight mistakes? well i think everyone is gonna know the answers is they would make alot of mistakes. Even though if they can drive properly, they still A)drive too slow, which makes people have road rage, which also makes people speed to get past them, makes people like me lose my hair at such a young age. i really think we should do a petition to do something about this. Like i said i wouldnt mind paying a bit more tax to get someone to drive oldies around all day everyday. Just to have some peice of mind....wot u rekkon guys?

normo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:14 pm 
T51

Car: S15
NORMO wrote:
Like i said i wouldnt mind paying a bit more tax to get someone to drive oldies around all day everyday.

Don't they (and us) already have buses for that?? I don't think its simply about getting from one place to another.. it may also have something to do with the feeling of independence and the joy to drive :wink:

NORMO wrote:
they still A)drive too slow, which makes people have road rage, which also makes people speed to get past them, makes people like me lose my hair at such a young age

This part worries me though... maybe we should all learn to be more patient on the road :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:22 pm 
T88

yeah tru about the busses huh. About being more patient, its tru, i know most people will be patient and wait, but im talking about the general public who is gonna have mad road rage because of this....like im not saying its really bad for them to drive slow. But yeah i mean i see it as a hazard, because oldies are fragile. And i would feel better if someone else was to drive them around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:15 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
in NSW,once you hit 80yrs old,you have to do a yearly medical test now,to make sure you're still capable of driving. from 85,you have to do a driving test (both practical and theory) to keep your license as well as the medical.
this has culled a few I'm sure. I know of three personally,one of which was a real menace.

does anyone remember the old lady that drove into Bondi Junction train station several years ago? she thought she was going into the david jones carpark,which is 100m further up the road. she had to give her license in afterwards.

a LOT of people on the road scare me. I'm no angel,and no expert either,but I can safely say that there are a LOT of people out there driving around that shouldn't be.

Justin...

Last edited by fergo308 on Mon May 31, 2004 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:10 pm 
Quad T51

NORMO wrote:
hey guys n gals,
well today was just GREAT! after having the car off the road for 2 weeks fitting a S15 turbo in, Put on my new vertex kit....was all sweet, thought i was problem free for the time being, but no....went to my g/friends house ths mourning...and guess wot happened? YEs a old fart across the street tried to reverse park into ME! cracked my new front bar, snapped off the screw holes.(so needs to be remoulded) He claims " gees didnt even see the bloddy thing" and i said " how could you miss it, its black, its in the middle of the day and ITS GOT BLODDY BIG ARSE WHITE FENDERS ON IT(from MFX_R33) so yeah...thats my rant...he didnt even say sorry. He got my details down....dunno wot for...since he is in da wrong... BUt yeah his hands were shaking like shit...couldnt even write properly....the RTA should do something about this. They shouldnt let old people drive. I wouldnt mind paying a bit more tax to provide the oldies with a cheoffer(is dat how u spell it?) well...yeah thats just my rant...
anyone else wanna rant...go ahead!

cheers
normo(not happy jan)

Ah, it should be obvious that he was at fault and has to pay to fix your car.

Did you get conned by an old man? :lol:

Seriously though: is he going to pay for damages, are you aware of that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:35 pm 
T88

well yes yes he is. And even his son said he would be. Or his insurance company. But i have about 5 witnesses. So if he should just suddenly forget that he hitt me. Court cases will need to be attended as i dont have the cash for this. hehe well hope all goes well....damn it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:58 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
I know what you mean.

I've noticed that the only two kinds of people that have ever run me over as I was crossing a pedestrian crossing have either been old people or soccer mums.

I've never had some hoon in a modified grey import, on their P plates, just ignore me walking across a zebra crossing, and drive through through after I've taken 2-3 steps off the curb.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:29 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
funnily enough, an old lady ran a friend of my mums down a few months back, it may have been last year. anyway, it was at a crossing at a set of lights where the old lady didnt stop at a red light. my mums friend was in a coma for a few days, and is only recently just been able to walk again. she was in hospital for months!!

the old lady, guess what? no court, no fine and she is still driving! then again, if she doesnt stop after running a person down, she is stronger than any of us here. or just senile!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:43 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
She's probably got alzhemers.

So when she's put in the stand and asked about what happened, she can say she doesn't recall any of the events and not be lying either.

"I've got alzhemer's disease. I don't even remember how I got here. Now when is Kerry-Anne on?"

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:25 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Scary shit....
Compulsory red p's style testing every year from 65 onwards should be implemented IMHO.. THen again, i'll probably feel quite different IF I reach that age...