Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:58 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Dudes... dudette's. I think tonight I came the closest I ever have to having my pride and joy broken into and possibly stolen. *Luckily* I decided to stay up just that extra 1/2 hour (otherwise I would've been in the shower by now (an all of you who know me, i'm sure you're salivating over that very possibility right now....)) But I digress.
I was sitting at the comp in the lounge room while it was raining fairly hard with the window open (screen on it though) and the curtain closed.

This is all at about 10:50pm. I heard a low, but still stock sounding zorst idling at my neighbour's house, which for most people wouldn't be out of the ordinary, however this guy is 70, and so is his wife, so it's unlikely that they'd have visitors. Oh yeah, and they're away on holidays....

So I opened the curtain and looked at the falcodore (or what I assumed to be a falcodore), and watched to see if anyone came towards my car. No one did. So I figured they must've just been looking at directions, but I kept an eye on them anywy - better to be safe than sorry, right?

No less than 20 seconds later, I hear doors closing, which seems a tad odd, becuase I didn't see any open, or the cabin light on in the falcodore, when to my horror, I see lights turn on RIGHT in front of my car and a 4WD start up and speed off with the falcodore.

And, just as murphy would have it, I've had my damn contacts in too long, it's raining and there's shrubbery in the way, so I didn't get a damn plate :evil:

So naturally I run out to the car with a torch, becuase i'd only jut realised what had been going on, hoping not to find a broken window or destroyed lock. I got out there and the car looked untouched, as yoda would say "relieved I was greatly". So I looked around for tyre tracks to see where the 4WD was parked (I'm not exactly sure why I did this, but at the time I thought it was important...). Then just as I was about to go inside, I decided to check the passenger's door - which was stomach-churningly unlocked. This however set off the alarm, which I was surprised, but quite relieved to hear. MAXBOOST ran inside and grabbed the keys and promptly disabled it.

At this point i'm thinking i'm the luckiest man in sydney... (well, apart fomr whoever's doing the price is right girls, probably larry emda, you rotten old swine! But I digress again).

So I checked for all the usual signs of forced entry - mashed locks, damaged door seals, and water inside the window seals, but found nothing. I'm so relieved, but still fairly worried.

My car has been moved into the driveway - now if someone wants to steal it they're going to have to go through the mighty camry...

One forum member reccommended I wait out with the car and a bat. I like that, but I have a little alteration - a black-bladed hunting-knife as long (I don't have a bat) as my fore-arm (and i'm not a small guy :wink:), some nun-chucks (sp) and some other little implements.

Sadly this little incident has got me doubting whether I really need an almost $10k liability sitting out on my front lawn or dodging 80yr olds in camry's in traffic. I'll always love silvias, but I might not have one for too much longer...

Don't get me wrong though - if I do sell, I'll be back with a vengance, a whole lot more cash, and oh yeah, comprehensive insurance.

Sleep tight kids.
-Luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:05 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
that sucks man. it pisses you off bigtime to see someone at ur car!! i know it did with me. its a shame you didnt get a plate, then you could have called the cops on them. but with no evidence...... but at least you have a record of something happening etc

so were the doors still locked? or did they manage to get them unlocked without the alarm activating? weird. maybe you should install a kill switch or five just to be on the safe side!!

sorry to hear it mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:19 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

They'd unlocked the passenger door :o Becuase if they'd gone for the driver's side it wouold've set off the alarm. Now I'm just worried that they've cased it and know the passenger lock is easy to bypass....

I can assure you it's not going to be parked on the street any more :x And if it was you zei, I know where you live :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:08 am 

i was home when it happened. i know this by the time of your posting :)

anyway, get the alarm hooked up to both door switches! and your tailgate if its not already done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:48 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

That's what YOU say.... Maybe it wasn't a 4WD at all... maybe it was just an auto pintara :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:58 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
how many rock wieler/german shepards can fit into a 180?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:03 pm 

the pintara would have been LONG gone by the time you got ur head out the window :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:11 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
maybe ive got a solution for you, just got an alarm put in today, some handy features i found were:
-it shows when ure doors have been opened on the remote
-shows if car has been turned on
-shows if something has triggered the shock sensor
-shows if the doors are locked or not locked *this i find very useful*
-shows reception of the remote to the car, so far i havent been far enough from the car for it to be out of range, ive probably been max 50metres away from it and it hadnt lost any bars on reception
and the remote makes noises if any of the above occurs

so maybe look at getting some sort of 2 way pager alarm would be a good idea, it makes me feel alot more confident now, because i only have third party insurance ! :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:04 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

mokompri wrote:
maybe ive got a solution for you, just got an alarm put in today, some handy features i found were:
-it shows when ure doors have been opened on the remote
-shows if car has been turned on
-shows if something has triggered the shock sensor
-shows if the doors are locked or not locked *this i find very useful*
-shows reception of the remote to the car, so far i havent been far enough from the car for it to be out of range, ive probably been max 50metres away from it and it hadnt lost any bars on reception
and the remote makes noises if any of the above occurs

so maybe look at getting some sort of 2 way pager alarm would be a good idea, it makes me feel alot more confident now, because i only have third party insurance ! :-?

Yeah I've got the same :-? What sort of alarm is that? A boomerang or similar? The only prob there is I'll be > 50m away most of the time when I have to leave the car at school or work. Atm I'm considering a wheel clamp, but if they're as easy to bypass as a steering lock I might not bother...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:25 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
not boomerang but similar
hmm wheel clamps are such a whore i couldnt stand the inconvenience !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:55 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: S14a 200sx
don't go with famuos if your going to make small clams, only good 4 ride off or stolen and never retrve, if it a burn't out 8 too 9 months latter after they have checked up on your money probs of your hole famley they may pay u, kick ass alarm and internal sirens best bet. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:03 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Internal screamer!!!! That'd really 0wn my little bro - he cant figure out how to sit in the car w/o ther alarm going off hehe.

I wonder if I can just put it in parallel with my other siren..... Anyone know for definate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:44 pm 

yeah me too. id like a few sirens inside the cabin. i want the persons head to explode while trying to speal my car :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:45 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Yeah, but avec (there's that french again for ya :wink:) a delay - so the bastards dont know they need to disable them :evil: DIE BASTARDOS DIE!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:18 pm 

no delay on mine. i dont know if id want a delay tho....... hmm maybe