It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:19 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Blue S15 + Vertex Kit
Scathing wrote:
Payam0001 wrote:
Hey, why is an auto nicknamed a slushbox? I'm a newbie at all this trashtalk.

I'm personally get quite a bit of entertainment from flaming losers with no clue. If you get bored, just set a spam filter on his ass.

There's a couple of reasons why people call autos slushboxes. The technical reason would be because of the torque converter, which is a fluid coupling between the engine and the 'box itself (where a solid clutch would be in a manual car).

Thanks mate! I have a lot of reading to do. I'm always earger to learn more..i won't be the 'loser without a clue' forever.

Thanks for the url.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:22 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
modifying the stall converter or some $hit.

Alot of drag cars use modified auto box's with great success, due to strength and consistancy (spell) on the strip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:29 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Nismodified wrote:

Yeah, I was going to suggest something similar. Crank up the stall converter, and maybe drop a drag 'box in there. The problem with drag boxes is that they're not very streetable, given that most of them only have three gears.

Given that, I'm surprised that Dodge didn't use that in the advertising campaign for their PoS Neon, since their slusho only had 3 gears too. They could advertise it as a "drag racing inspired automatic transmission" or something. :)

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:29 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Nismodified wrote:

Alot of drag cars use modified auto box's with great success, due to strength and consistancy (spell) on the strip

Thanks, i'll have to look into that. I hope that won't cause any probz with my insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:31 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Scathing wrote:
Nismodified wrote:

Yeah, I was going to suggest something similar. Crank up the stall converter, and maybe drop a drag 'box in there. The problem with drag boxes is that they're not very streetable, given that most of them only have three gears.

Given that, I'm surprised that Dodge didn't use that in the advertising campaign for their PoS Neon, since their slusho only had 3 gears too. They could advertise it as a "drag racing inspired automatic transmission" or something. :)

Hi,

Well the standard auto in my car has 'power' mode which will keep it always in the 1st 3 gears..is this inferior?

Payam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:02 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
you're wasting your time playing with the auto. it'll always be inferior to the manual version of the car as autos waste power through internal slippage,and inefficient gear 'ratios'.

two cars with identical engine work,one auto,one manual,the manual will get more at the wheels,and will be able to make better use of it.

autos are only good for extreme drag racing(say,under 9 seconds) and for being lazy in traffic.

you can trick up the ecu programming so it shifts harder and holds ratios longer or fit a stall converter,but at the end of the day,it's a losing battle.

I strongly suggest you drive the car as it is,and when you get serious about going fast,to sell it for a manual version.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:24 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
fergo308 wrote:
you can trick up the ecu programming so it shifts harder and holds ratios longer...

the power button mode will hold the gears longer without shifting.

I dont know why it is even there as if you stomp the accelerator, my power mode will come on automatically regardless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:15 pm 
T03

Car: Yellow S15
drag racing is all about power and consistency.

fergo 308 i don't know what drag cars you have been in or driven, but i think anything that runs a low 12 sec pass or under would benefit from an auto box. a well set up auto will also help you off the line with stall convertor and trans brake. any power lost through the auto can be made up off the line with a well set up auto box.

i prefer a manual box but i can also see where an auto would more then have it's merits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:16 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Car: Subaru Vortex XT Turbo
Nismodified wrote:
fergo308 wrote:
you can trick up the ecu programming so it shifts harder and holds ratios longer...

I dont know why it is even there as if you stomp the accelerator, my power mode will come on automatically regardless.

it makes you feel special!

-- DumHed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:16 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Nismodified wrote:
fergo308 wrote:

Hi,
This is True. Mine does this also.

Payam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:20 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

fergo308 wrote:
you're wasting your time playing with the auto. it'll always be inferior to the manual version of the car as autos waste power through internal slippage,and inefficient gear 'ratios'.

two cars with identical engine work,one auto,one manual,the manual will get more at the wheels,and will be able to make better use of it.

autos are only good for extreme drag racing(say,under 9 seconds) and for being lazy in traffic.

you can trick up the ecu programming so it shifts harder and holds ratios longer or fit a stall converter,but at the end of the day,it's a losing battle.

I strongly suggest you drive the car as it is,and when you get serious about going fast,to sell it for a manual version.

Justin...

Thanks Justin,
The AUTO has it's advantages in traffic and peak hour (which is when i drive most of the time)...so i don't think i could stand going back to Manual the way my life is at the moment. If i could afford it i would buy a lil car in Auto and swap my S15 for a Manual version as my 'nigh rider' or weekend drifter...but as it is i'm still very happy with it.

But like most guys with an S15, you can always be happier.
hehe..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:22 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

xspsi wrote:
drag racing is all about power and consistency.

fergo 308 i don't know what drag cars you have been in or driven, but i think anything that runs a low 12 sec pass or under would benefit from an auto box. a well set up auto will also help you off the line with stall convertor and trans brake. any power lost through the auto can be made up off the line with a well set up auto box.

i prefer a manual box but i can also see where an auto would more then have it's merits.

Any tips on how to make the S15 auto a 'well set up auto box'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:30 pm 
T03

Car: Yellow S15
I've been in a couple of LS1 commodores that run low 11's with autos. I think it's actually a lot more fun in these cars then the manuals for stright line stuff.

These cars are making a fair bit of grunt and run on slicks at the strip, getting 1.5sec 60ft times so they have a lot more torque then our cars and one of two of them have had their gearboxes rebuilt. Apart from that the only other mod they have is a 4800rpm stall convertor.

I imagine if you wanted a drag racing weapon in a turbo car, you'd want to get a transbrake. I'd go stall convertor and nitrous as another option for something that would take off very hard off the line.

As for the S15 gearbox, I'm no expert on them as there still aren't many quick S15's around. If you want to have a look at what i think is a easy 9 sec car in the build, have a look at www.200sex.com.au as you can see it'll be using a specially built auto box.

Remember a stall convertor will rob you of a little more power on top of the auto so it might not be the best option on a stock turboed car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:52 pm 
Quad T88

Car: My Feet
How would you drive somehting with a stally in the wet?? I always wanted to know this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:56 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
it'll still go, just very sluggishly up till the stall point.

Personally I don't see why people build drag cars out of Silvias...
Actually I don't see why people build drag cars at all cos I find it very boring :)