Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:55 am 
Quad T88

Car: My Feet
MOTOR wrote:
After 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, there's not even one car-length between all three with the Clubbie and EVO rubbing door handles as the Typhoon starts to fade. While the F6 peak mid-range is fractionally stronger then the Clubbie, it doesn't carry to redline.
...but fullboost takes until 4000rpm and by 5000rpm it's loosing both boost and breath. ... with a redline at 5900rpm.

"fractionally stronger" doesn't mean walks all over.

Also note that the Evo was tested before the famous first service from Mitsi, for those unaware the first service includes a ECU re-tune and new exhaust, all included in the purchase price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:58 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: S15
I was not refering to a standing start race. what I was refering to were the in gear accelleration time from 80 - 120 kmph for the 3 cars. have a look at the times. the F6, which is similar or slower 0 - 100 then the others, is faster by at least a second in all gears then and clubbie and by up to a few second then the GT, dependent on the gear. in 5th or 6th the additional torque of the F6 allows it have much better accelleration, this is why i said "walks all over them"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:29 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: S15, XR6T
zei20l wrote:
they stop boosting at 4000rpm and go into NA - if i understand correctly. they have the weirdest setup. but like the S15, they respond to mods very well, as MYS15T said.

Thats one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:39 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: HSV VZ clubsport. X S15 owner
Cnc,

In defence of Zei20l, I think he was referring to the fact that the biggest problem with the Typhoon is how it's torque falls off a cliff after 4500rpm which is about it's peak. Whereas with the V8's the power keeps climbing as the revs climb.
This will most likely explain the fantastic in gear accelleration and poor 0-100km/h and 400m times.
Reviews from current Typhoon owners suggest that getting the best times from these cars involve short shifting at about 5000rpm to keep the car in the meat of it's torque.
My guess is that the Typhoon has been dumbed down by Ford and has been programmed to restrict top end power. The potential is there for the Typhoon so I guess a chip/edit and retuning will unleash it's power.
For day to day driving I personally think the Typhoon will be the best to drive as the car is so torquey in the mid range so it'll always feel fast when driving casually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:44 pm 
T28 Hybrid

I agree and suggest the 'boost curve' has been 'shaped' in order to reduce top end torque and hence power. This has been done for political reasons only, as we all know that the boosted 4L is capable of a lot more than 270kw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:55 pm 
T28 Hybrid

CnC wrote:
I agree and suggest the 'boost curve' has been 'shaped' in order to reduce top end torque and hence power. This has been done for political reasons only, as we all know that the boosted 4L is capable of a lot more than 270kw!

Cnc,

The only way to stop all this Typhoon bashing is to mod it. Surely a Typhoon with APS phase 2 will look more sexy than a XRT with APS phase 2. Surely no one can deny that.

It seems that the XR6T is a popular option for S15 owners who need to upgrade for more space. You're lucky enough to keep both. 300rwk would be nice to have. If only there was no risk involved. i.e. insurance/warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:56 pm 
T28 Hybrid

I'm lucky enough to have both, 200SX & XR6T that is not a typhoon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:57 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Oh and I'm not 'bashing' anything I'm just letting you know how it is and why it is, thats all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:01 pm 
T28 Hybrid

CnC wrote:
Oh and I'm not 'bashing' anything I'm just letting you know how it is and why it is, thats all.

I'm not accusing you of bashing it. It's the journos and ford fanatics who have had high expectations that are bashing it the most. It'll only be a matter of time when all this hype settles down that good things may come for the Typhoon. The car is magic to drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:05 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Cnc,

Since you have both a S15 and XR6T, from your experience which one is faster in stock form? Which one do you enjoy driving more and why? I haven't taken delivery of my Phoon yet so I wouldn't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:34 pm 
Quad T88

Car: My Feet
Ummm I think his S15 has gone a few steps away from being a comfortable daily driver 8)

What you said is true but, as an S15 driver, the F6 would be a nice transition when I need the extra space.
The Falcon has come a long way since this thread started and, I may be able to over look the whole FORD thing, well one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:56 am 
T28

Car: S15
the sexy, fast, light-weight, drifting S15 is excellent ~but not comfortable enough for daily driving :( I will go for EVO or STI or HSV if I want extra space
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:37 am 
T28 Hybrid

Vuster wrote:
Cnc,

Since you have both a S15 and XR6T, from your experience which one is faster in stock form? Which one do you enjoy driving more and why? I haven't taken delivery of my Phoon yet so I wouldn't know.

The XR6T is quickest in stock form, in a straight line. The S15 is all over it in terms of cornering performance of course :) The XR6T is more of a liveable car with your creature comforts such as T/C, Cruise, room, driveability and room.

The typhoon will deliver the goods, you just need to get the BA edit onto it to remove the artificial boost limit at the top end, then you will be very happy indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:38 am 
T28 Hybrid

MYS15T wrote:
Ummm I think his S15 has gone a few steps away from being a comfortable daily driver 8)

One might say that.. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:56 am 
T28 Hybrid

Yeah, hope I can be happy with the Phoon. I still have 3 weeks before delivery and am very nervous at the moment with all this bad press.
Dr Yang, Evo or STI although has 4 doors still not big enough for me. It can't tow my boat and won't give much comfort on my long trips.
The HSV is faster than the FPV's but I dont' really like the look of them anymore. The Fords look more of a blokes car. The hsv bodykit isn't that great. I prefer the VX or VT hsv's body kits better. More simple and macho looking. Also the hsv engines are old pushrods. They are not advanced as the Ford turbo ones.

The biggest problem I had when owning a S15 was the lag and the fact that I had to rev it hard to get it going fast. At the lights when I sensed that someone could possibly take me, I had to be prepared. The 2nd biggest problem was the fact that I had to drive like a granny in the wet. I had to be really humble when it was wet but in the dry I was quite aggressive and didn't like it when people take over etc.

When turning at traffic lights the s15 was superb. I could flaw it and not lose traction. Can't say the same thing about in wet conditions. I used to lose traction in 3rd gear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next