Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: E.P.A
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:01 pm 
T66

Car: granpa's jz83 cressida
well to top off an AWSUM DAY *note sarcasm* i come home to find ive recieved a letter in the mail saying that my car has been reported as being "overly loud" and i must visit a e.p.a inspection station to have my car emisions tested aswell as db tested... when are people going to get a life?
i have a question though, my car is engineerd aswell has being previously epa tested to pass the engineer's cert.. it also clearly says on my engy papers that the car passes the legal db requirement and emision levels..
so my question is can i just fax off a copy of this to the e.p.a and tell em to shove it up theyre ass? or no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:11 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
i overtook someone today at speed with a bit of revs, he got the shits because HE was holding up traffic and i got in front

anyway, ill be expecting one of those soon too, he wrote down my numberplate and i think maybe this website!

sorry to hear that, as for faxing it off, best idea is to call the EPA up and get their advice on it. they will be surprisingly helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:46 pm 
TO4

Car: s15
I think they still can make you to go to an exhaust shop to fill out the papers.

Two cars back I did a trick with steel wool :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:44 pm 
T66

Car: granpa's jz83 cressida
called epa today, they wouldnt have a bar of it, didnt care bout engineer's or anything even though car wasw engineerd less then 5months ago. also called the inspection station he said he doesnt care bout enginers either unless i provide photo's to prove the mods are the same parts at the time of the eng cert i.e identical exhaust,cooler etc..... not looking good so far :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:32 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 180sx RB26DETT
ouch buddy, yeah lots of people are pains when they dont get their way..

lol zei your funny dude, guys like the guy you over took really skitz it man lmao!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:53 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
I've always been an advocate of "Engineering cars is a waste of time and money", and you have just proven my point

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:45 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: sileighty
asif theyre not worth it. On many occasions Ive been left alone purely cos I have a certificate.
Pretty much any copper I show my cert to takes one quick look at it and gives it back and tells me to be on my way.

never having to spend a cent on defects, and not having the car off road is well worth it.

dont forget the potential legal and insurance implications that could arise if your in a major accident and have illegal modifications.

formerly 3AM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:06 pm 
Twin T51

Car: coon
Well I hate to do to it to you mate, but if you're involved in a major accident and you're particular cert's (from memory) are questioned, you won't have a leg to stand on.
They are good in that they will occasionally ward off the police from minor defects, when produced and waved around crying street legal. But as proven in this case, they're worthless when actually put to the test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:18 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: sileighty
I guess it depends how much you value your time.
I know with my job and workload its difficult to get time during the week to clear a defect if one did occur, and its a major pita not being able to drive your car, and having to work on it to fix said defect.

formerly 3AM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:20 pm 
TO4

Car: JDM S15
That is just crap! We get harassed by police so we go do the right thing and get our cars engineered (pay good money too, making sure everything is right) and cause some wanker has reported your car as being too loud...you're now put out AGAIN...just to prove you haven't changed anything. :evil:

An engineers report should put a stop to all of this BS- otherwise, what is the point in forking out big bucks for the little bit of paper you get? I think they need to revise the system...we're getting done over hard at every turn :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:18 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
too_much_boost wrote:
I've always been an advocate of "Engineering cars is a waste of time and money", and you have just proven my point

Got defected on Sunday -

- Pod Filter
- Aftermarket Exhaust
- too low
- cracked windscreen
- bald tyres
- Racing seat

The cop (HWP) said you can have all the mods AS LONG as they are engineered. And she knew her shit, She asked about the BOV and asked if it was Plumb back and also a few other things.

So in her words, an engineering cert. would have had me on my way straight away without any hassles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:06 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Serial Killa wrote:
too_much_boost wrote:

Got defected on Sunday -

- Pod Filter
- Aftermarket Exhaust
- too low
- cracked windscreen
- bald tyres
- Racing seat

The cop (HWP) said you can have all the mods AS LONG as they are engineered. And she knew her shit, She asked about the BOV and asked if it was Plumb back and also a few other things.

So in her words, an engineering cert. would have had me on my way straight away without any hassles.

you may want to have a second look at your list :lol:

I would like to engineer my bald tyres please mr engineer.

Your car (and mine) is a rolling defect. What possible frame of mind can you be in to drive it with bald tyres and a cracked windscreen? A bastard cop would have red stickered it as unsafe to drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:36 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
lol I was about to say itd be awesome to engineer a cracked windscreen and bald tyres :lol:

I was defected for bald tyres on the 11th - fair enough, they were bald. Reason though, was because I lost my locknut tool and obviously couldnt get my wheels off to change the tyres. I already had the new tyres waiting for me at jax.

The cop acted like a hard-arse (shaved head, derogitory tone), but he was fair, didnt go over the car with a fine-tooth comb (didnt even pop the bonnet). And most importantly, didnt give me a fine!

He said: "Id rather you spent the money getting decent tyres than paying a stupid fine"

What a fucking champ.

I'm going to make my car comply and get it engineered - sure, it wont save me from EPA, but not getting harassed by HWPs all the time will make it worth while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:56 pm 
T78 Hybrid

Car: s13
Serial Killa wrote:
too_much_boost wrote:

Got defected on Sunday -

- Pod Filter
- Aftermarket Exhaust
- too low
- cracked windscreen
- bald tyres
- Racing seat

engineer cert for cracked windscreen and bald tyres nice lol.

macquarie fields hw patrol dont look at your certs they defect you anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:03 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
All a cop needs to do is SUSPECT the car still doesn't comply to defect you, regardless of how many pieces or paper you wave at him.

An aftermarket exhaust over a certain db limit is a defect. A non-enclosed pod is a defect. A car lower than 100mm is a defect. The only thing in that list that you might get away with an Engineers Certificate is the seat, but that needs to be ADR approved anyway and not too many are for anything other than 'race use only'.

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next