Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:36 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Heard the latest?

Ken Maroney is proposing that people who are charged and convicted with street racing will forfeit their cars,which will then be crushed and dumped out the front of the offender's home.

I can't think of any other offence that has received such an over the top response from law enforcement.
Now I have no problem with people who break the law being punished,but effectively stealing a person's posessions,destroying them,and then expecting them to take car of the detritus remaining is a bit much.
I bet the local council would be on the spot the same day fining the offender for illegal dumping as well...just to add further insult to injury.

what's next? putting people's dogs down if they don't clean up a mess they leave when walking them?

taking people's licences and putting them in Gaol isn't enough,you have to take their cars and destroy them as well? how can that even be conceived of as a positive solution to a problem? surely anyone who is sprung by police will take off rather than cop it sweet with that kind of penalty in the offing.
here's the weigh up that'll go through their minds: run from the cops and take my chances that I'll get away;or stop,lose my license for years,pay huge fines,maybe go to Gaol, and lose my car AND have to pay to dispose of the crushed wreck they give back to me.
know anyone who'll willingly take option B? I sure as hell don't.

Now,apparently this proposal has been rejected with consfiscation and selling the cars to make money from it being pushed as a more positive solution. the only people it's more positive for is the government's accountants,who get to add all that extra cash to their coffers.
do I hear anyone saying revenue raising out there?

they've really lost the plot with this one.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:49 pm 
T88 Hybrid

Car: Nissan silvia s13
what can I say. Police are usless and dont do anything to solve real crimes. They get money from tax payers for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:02 pm 
T51

Car: R32 GTR
If ken maroney loves cubes so much, why doesnt he make his own car into a cube, and then his wifes and etc. As if hes never sped. Hypocrites.

If these laws come out well probably see people buying 100 dollar pickles charades or similiar and putting a decent cheap turbo motor in them and the cops wont be able to sell them for nothing.. and in the end it wont be much of a loss even if they do crush them...
(no offence to anyone that drives cheap old hatches) lol.

I dont believe street racing will ever vanish and combining it with extreme laws like this will result to no one really stopping to pull over anymore.. so all in all being a cop will just become harder.

The latest news makes all car enthusiasts look like hoons and im pretty much sick of it.

P.S .. if the government sells 'hoons' cars.. then wont other 'hoons' go buy them and have the same thing happen all over again? :-?
... maybe they want that to happen.. more money for them!.. this isnt about road safety at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:11 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
this isnt really anything to do with the cops, its like justin already said, its typical knee-jerk reaction to a few accidents. i think they should just ban cars all together. i mean people die in accidents all the time.

id also like to ban everything because pretty much anything kills you these days. its really a wonder they want to stop you from driving, imagine how much money they lose without you registering your car and getting your licence while your not driving...........

id probably run and take my chance too if it came to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:20 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s15
What they fail to realise is a percentage of "hoons cars" are owned by finance companies. They would be real happy reposessing a cube :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:46 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
There over reacting, As soon as something else happens the media will jump on that.

Just give it a few weeks.

Where all pissed at whats happening atm.

Typical goverment over reacting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:28 pm 
T03

Car: JDM S15
I Condone what they are doing only if the driver is a repeated offender for instanse a 3rd offence and have your car crushed what i don't condone is the goverment classifying all car enthusiast as "Hoons" just because we drive imports its like saying all asians drive Honda's :P (I am not bagging out asians as i am one myself :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:50 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
that's what pisses me off as well. it's basically another form of discrimination.
basically,if you don't finish school,go to uni and get a degree,so you can then get a well-paying job to pay for your huge mortgage for the house you have to buy for when you get married (and then renovate),and have your 2.5 kids and then take up a 'sensible' hobby like gardening or bicycle riding then you're an instant social outcast.

heaven forbid that I don't get married,I work in a blue collar job with only yr 10 and a tradesman's certificate,and I have a hobby other than gardening,or watching the kids that I don't have play sport badly.

fuck them all.

getting back on the topic proper,they're chomping at the bit to crack down on 'street racing'.
what is the average cop's definition of that again? what proof do they need to book you on that charge? is it specified,or is it another one of those 'discretionary' offences?
I pray to god it's the former,because if it isn't,there's a good chance someone out there is going to have their car taken from them and sold because some cop out there doesn't like the look of them,and decides to make it a 'your word against mine' kind of affair.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:48 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
Ive been pulled over when im the only car on the road, and been accused of street racing.

Street racing? WHO THE FUCK WITH? THE COP?

I think thats all that need be said.

Ok one more thing;

Fuck the fucking fuckers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:19 pm 
T66 Hybrid

How about crushing the cars of old fogeys in Camrys who do unsafe right turns in the face of oncoming traffic. Or doesn't that win as many votes as turning them into martyrs? [/cynicism]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:21 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
I think im missing something.. martyrs? The camry drivers? The pollies? Theyre not sacrificing shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:51 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
At least it wasn't a p-plater in an import this time, some old bogan in a como, yet they still target the imports and the p-platers.

They'll never pass that crushing thing, hell if they did, i wouldn't be stopping. Get flip around numberplates and go hard.

People die on the roads, that's the way it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:13 pm 
T03

Car: JDM S15
As long as there is cars on the road there will be hoons on them like it or not that is how the world is. I spoke to my dad when he saw the news about street racing and he thought it was a load of bullshit as he told me stories of when he was in his ealry 20's and how he used to drive and hoon around in a LC Torana and back then cops didnt care as much as now and the only time you were really pulled over was when you were actually speeding excessively and werent just pulled over cause you look like a hoon. He was saying that the accident rate was probably the same back then and now when you add into the equation that there was less people then and more now and that the media is just making out that this whole hoon thing only started in the last year or 2 but that aint true it has always been happening its just that the media made it out worse then it is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:24 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
Well my dad said the cops were even more strict back in the day, one slip up and your license is gone. He was worse than me even, his GTS monaro would pull 4ths :P . He said the cops would beat them up rather than fine them though. I think i'd rather have that myself, don't think society would be particularly fond of that idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:30 am 

Car: MKV Golf
The word here is "deterrence". Who in their right mind would risk their pride and joy becomming a cube for the sake of a traffic light grand prix?

I'm not saying this idea isn't extreme, but that's what they are trying to get at - a deterrent big enough to make the public think twice. Somehow the risk of killing innocent bystanders/motorists isn't enough of a deterrent. :o

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next