Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:02 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: sil80
haris st sucks. all the tard from the uni need to learn about road safety. and Ive got a feeling they will very soon, complete with chalk outline.

its happened before but was much worse this morning. idiots just step out onto the road without looking...

Im driving along at a cruisy 50, roads pretty empty, and im approaching a green light, this middle age ethnic man decides to walk across the road,ie my lane when im approaching, so I slam on the anchors and he jumps back into the right lane, so Im out the window giving him the finger, whats worse is there was a bus beside me, so if he stepped out a tad later, he would of been toast, nowhere to swerve.

I accellerate back up to 50.. go through a few more lights and then a group of 5 people.... im not bullshitting, 5 people decide to cross in my direct line.

on the anchors hard again, harder than before to avoid this one and screaming profanities out the window.

this is not the first time this has happened either, Ive had a bunch of 5 or so people walk out infront of the car on haris street about 2 months ago...

it shits me that I have the stress of emergency braking to avoid manslaughter, on my 1 and a half hour commute to work, cos some fuckhead can't be 20seconds late for a lecture theyre not going to listen to anyway, or is too up themselves to look before crossing the street.

one day someone half asleep with shit tyres is going to plow straight into a group of em, and tho I hope its not me,I hope I get to see it happen, so I can tell the coroner that they just stepped out without looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:11 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I agree with you mate,I deal with this everyday of the week over in the east.

when I used to work in the city I'd actually aim to tap people on the butt with my door mirrors. every other day I'd be coming up william st to a side street where work was,and would see people turn to look,hear and see my car approaching,but step off the curb anyway.
WTF is that? they can see you're there,but they're more important? stopping traffic on a main road so they don't have to stop for 5sec as a turning car passes is the new rule?

about a month ago I had a guy actually take a swing at my car with his umbrella because I didn't stop for him and his fellow fundamentalists as they were crossing the road both without looking,and where there's no lights,or crossing.

the bloke saw me coming for at least 50m as I backed off a bit for the corner and put my indicator on. he was on the opposite side of the side street I was turning into at this point,with about 8 of his friends. when I was about 20m out he's stood in the middle of the road and pointed the umbrella at me and glared. 10m out he's run across the road in front of me as I've turned in at about 40km/h(while about half of his group have waited and the other half have just finished blind leaps of faith and just crossed without looking at all),and has screamed obscenities at me and swung his umbrella at the car,hitting the N/SF A pillar.
I still have a small ding in the door to show for it.

it's not that hard to work out people. busy road,car approaching with indicator flashing = it's going to turn,wait until it's gone to cross the road...

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:32 am 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
Yeah, pedestrians are the worst.

I'm always totally astounded by people sprinting through multiple lanes of traffic when there are pedestrian crossings at traffic lights literally 10 metres away.

I saw a group of three teenagers doing this near the Spit Junction intersection the other day. They had to stand on the middle white line (no median strip) whilst traffic roared past them, three lanes on either side. All it would have taken was a truck and they woulda been gone.

Then they finally made it across the other side except the dumb cunts didn't account for the pedestrian barrier (to stop people doing exactly what they did) on the kerb, so they had to run up the street in the gutter into oncoming traffic. Morons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:46 am 
Twin T51

Car: silbeer
harris st? as in near uts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:32 am 

Car: MKV Golf
fergo308 wrote:
when I used to work in the city I'd actually aim to tap people on the butt with my door mirrors.

Funny you should say that. About 10yrs ago when I was working in Artarmon, I used to have to deal with a daily shitfight along the main stretch near the station (also the only place I have had an accident - but that's another story). One day I was turning left at the shops and this man was crossing the street, taking his time. There was no crossing, so he was really pissing me off. When there was a gap wide enough to fit my car through I gassed past really close to him to give him a bit of a scare, but accidentally clipped him with my left hand side mirror - so hard it folded the thing back!

I got out of there quick smart because I was parranoid he was writing my numbger plate down. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:49 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: sil80
fergo its actually the law that pedestrians have right of way crossing side streets, ie if you're turning into one, you must let them cross, unless ofcourse there traffic lights at the intersection, then they have to obey the crossing signal.
I dont have a problem with that, its when im driving in a straight line at constant speed.

I should reach out the window and give them a 50km/h + (velocity of my swinging arm) ass slap.

that way they wont be able to sit down for a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:06 pm 

yeah,it's the law,and it makes NO SENSE whatsoever. why would it be preferable for a main road to be banked up with peak hour traffic while a car stops dead and waits for someone to casually walk across a side street where there's no crossing or lights,when all the pedestrian would have to do is pause for 5 seconds until the car passes at a normal speed,and they could continue on.

people can stop instantly from walking pace. cars can't stop as fast. pedestrians should be the ones giving way,that's just common sense.

the street in question has two crossings on it,one is about 50m up the street from the corner where my incident took place,and the other is another 50m on from the first. there's also a set of lights at the other end of the stret,with crossing signals. surely one of these three options would be a better place to cross than right on the corner next to a busy main road?

I would be fine with it if there was a marked crossing,or set of lights there,but there isn't.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:32 pm 
T66 Hybrid

I had one of these numptys on Harris St at lunchtime today. Traffic was a little backed up at the Ultimo Rd intersection but the left lane was clear and I was turning left. Dumb student nearly sacrificed his knees to my car because he didn't look properly while crossing against a DON'T WALK sign. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:53 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
not just harris street, anywhere in Sydney, pedestrians suck at safety, if it wasnt illegal to teach em a lesson, I would be there teaching.

on another note, maybe the PEDESTRIAN COUNCIL should work on pedestrian safety, instead of focusing on the big bad evil cars....

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:10 am 

good call Brian. maybe we should have a few ads on tv of people being splattered when not taking due care crossing roads to wake the pedestrians up a bit.

I was taught when I was a kid that cars own the road,and if you're crossing one,you're in their territory,and have to look out for yourself,or you can be killed.
I never even considered stepping onto the hotmix without looking first.
the gutters were a boundary that had been drummed into me as being the limit of the safe area. beyond them (on the road) you had to take care.

several years ago I hit a kid over who hadn't been taught that,and ran out in front of my monaro. that was one 5yr old that had a lousy christmas that year. I found out after the accident that he regularly ran out onto the street,and that his neighbours had warned him multiple times to be more careful. he didn't listen,and as a result,spent the first 6mths or so of 1995 in hospital,as well as scaring the shit out of me and wrecking my day,and my car.

I had another guy sprint out onto the road and into the N/S guard of the same car a few months later. I was coming out of the eddy avenue tunnel,turning left onto elizabeth st and this bloke thought he'd get across 6 lanes against the signals before the oncoming lights went green.
I didn't even see him,I just heard the impact,and looked to my left,to see a timberland boot arc past the N/SF door.
how you could not see or hear a bright green monaro with practically open pipes coming is beyond me,but he did. I picked him up and took him over to Prince of wales to get checked out.
he admitted that he didn't see me,and wasn't really looking either...

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:00 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
cars do own the road, the road is made for vehicles.

and stay away from fergo's front bumper !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:09 am 
T88 Hybrid

Car: Nissan silvia s13
Especially hate the old people that think that just becaue they lived a little longer that we have to bow and respect them for their stupiditiy........ :evil: such as in this case walking through a busy road when the traffic is green. They think the whole traffic in a peak time hour has to stop for them.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:10 am 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
thats because they started moving when the WALK light was on, but are so slow that they cant make it across in time :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
Arkhaeon wrote:
thats because they started moving when the WALK light was on, but are so slow that they cant make it across in time :lol:

that happened to me on sat, some fucker was walking across 8 lanes of highway just before george going at grandpa speed, the light was red for minutes before he was 3/4 of reaching the otherside of the street. stupid fuckerz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:37 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
When I was a kid, I was told that when crossing a road, look both ways, and if a car is coming, it weights 1500kgs, and I only wieghed 30kgs, which would be easier to stop, the 1500kg car, or the 30kg child, so think before running out infront of a car.

The problem is the law has told these people that a pedestrian (unless running) has complete right of way, no matter what, therefore they use this law to their advantage.

Personally, I would like the law to change that on a blacktop, the car has right of way based on the ROAD RULES, and that thge only time a pedestrian has right of way is at a crossing, or otherwise posted area.

That way, if they want to falnt and fight with the cars, they can see what 1500kgs feels like.

B.