Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:20 am 
T03

Car: 1993 Silvia Qspec
I am apalled by how much simple stuff costs from nissan... take this as an example.

I went to get a new gasket for my diff back cover as I accidentally broke mine pulling my diff apart.

Its made of copper and weighs about 100g. At present copper prices thats about $1 worth of copper. Figuring that they probably mass produce them on a CNC laser cutter lets say machine time is $8 worth (which is generous)

Cost to make:$9

Cost at nissan $90... somewhere someone is making a 1000% profit

so i'm using gasket goop instead...but still feeling ripped off...

also...the little flared nuts that hold your coilovers in at the top

$4 EACH for a freaking 10mm nut

The list goes on...

manifold gasket : $120
wheel bearing: $170 each

a mate wanted a new AFM for his R33

$975....he told them to piss off and spent the extra $200 and bought a d-jetro power FC instead

Quote:
"Im going to stab them in the eye then carve myself some new cams out of their bones. " Ark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:37 am 
T88 Hybrid

Car: "S"
Nobbsy wrote:
I am apalled by how much simple stuff costs from nissan... take this as an example.

I went to get a new gasket for my diff back cover as I accidentally broke mine pulling my diff apart.

Its made of copper and weighs about 100g. At present copper prices thats about $1 worth of copper. Figuring that they probably mass produce them on a CNC laser cutter lets say machine time is $8 worth (which is generous)

the world of business..

..why do we pay $13.00 for popcorn and a coke at the movies...that costs them $2/3 to make

...some computer software costs over a grand? it costs them less than 10c to make a copy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:44 am 
T03

Popcorn is a rip I agree,

Software i understand because it takes 1000's of hours to develop, an s13 I realise also takes 100's of man hours to develop...but thats what the dude in japan paid hundreds of thousands of yen for when he bought it in the first place

Quote:
"Im going to stab them in the eye then carve myself some new cams out of their bones. " Ark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:38 am 

Car: MKV Golf
I have a factory $65 bottle opener that doubles as the cup holder in the Golf. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:28 am 
T03

got another one...the rubber boot that covers the end of your rack and tie rod...i was thinking that this couldn't possibly cost much from nissan...i was wrong....a piece of rubber $65 for each side

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:27 am 
Twin T51

Nobbsy wrote:

So the copper was mined, refined, laser cut, checked for imperfections etc all at your local Nissan dealer, which was sold to you by a zero-cost running robot which operates on air. The nissan dealer is also situated on an imaginary piece of land which no-one is entited to it, and thus no-one can charge rent for the site.

180sx/s13 stuff for sale- http://forum.silviansw.com/viewtopic.php?t=30110

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:06 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I like how software pricing is ok,but car parts aren't?

anything else? are $200 nikes ok as well? they cost about $10 to make,and use exploited 3rd world labour to do it. how about CD's? $30 for a disc that costs about half a cent to stamp out? when the artist that made the music on it receives about 10% of the proceeds,is that ok?

you can go on like this about anything mate. all you can do is shop around and try and find the best possible pricing.

your mate with the R33,did he try and get an aftermarket bosch AFM after being told $975 for genuine? he'd have found one for about $300 if he did... I got a Z32 AFM recently brand new in the box for $280...that was cost price.... bargains are out there,you just have to look.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:53 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Buy an S4 rx7, keep it for 3 years and maintain/repair it as necessary, then come back to a nissan.

You will never complain about the cost of genuine nissan parts ever again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:20 pm 
TO4

Car: CA18DE S12
Don't always buy genuine ;)

My example: R33 GTS (N/A) Nissan Genuine front pads - $220.

Fk that!! Saw the light, and bought 4-spotters for not much more :D

Only cost me $100 for EBC Red-Stuffs for them ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:13 pm 
T51

Car: Subaru Liberty
Umai Naa wrote:
Don't always buy genuine ;)

My example: R33 GTS (N/A) Nissan Genuine front pads - $220.

Fk that!! Saw the light, and bought 4-spotters for not much more :D

Only cost me $100 for EBC Red-Stuffs for them ;)

$100 from where?

PM me if you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:51 pm 
TO4

Car: CA18DE S12
*Taps nose*

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:28 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

Car: 180SX
Nissan parts in Japan are not so bad, maybe some of it is your government import tax. I bought a new genuine SR20DET water pump last weekend from the local main dealer and it was 8500yen. A full S14 front caliper seal and overhaul kit incuding new pins and springs, 5000yen. Both pretty reasonable I reckon...........

A brand new Nismo super coppermix clutch kit is 45000yen.

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:02 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
diablo wrote:
Nissan parts in Japan are not so bad, maybe some of it is your government import tax. I bought a new genuine SR20DET water pump last weekend from the local main dealer and it was 8500yen. A full S14 front caliper seal and overhaul kit incuding new pins and springs, 5000yen. Both pretty reasonable I reckon...........

A brand new Nismo super coppermix clutch kit is 45000yen.

Cheers,
Rich

those arent reasonable, there too cheap ! ive seen those copper mix clutches go for around 1700 here, thats triple the price you have quoted :-?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:44 am 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
Nobbsy wrote:

There is also shipping, R&D prices, wages, and all that other bullshit to add to the price, but I agree $90 is a fucking rip!

Last gasket I wanted to buy was for a water pump on a Mitsibishi, they wanted $45 for a paper-style gasket, so I bought gasket paper, hole puncher, and a led pencil, and made my own, total price including all the equipment was $32, and there was enough gasket paper to make 3 of the bloody things.

Gotta remember, the delivery guy needs to profit, the Manufacturing needs to profit, the R&D people need to profit, the sales guy that gets the parts need to profit, so the most profit that was made on this item was probably 10%, but because of the few hundred people that handled the item, there is mark-ups everywhere....

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:55 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
Id agree an manufacturer's parts can at times be expensive.

Anyone in the dealer network would know the ridiculous pricing structure they have.

The dealer is given a cost price from the manufacturer (who has already put a mark up from the supplier)
Its then up to the dealer to determine what % they want to put on the item. There is no set price for a part. There is no set "trade" price or retail price. There are guidelines for the pricing but thats all.

Walk in without a clue and a bad attitude you will get burned come time to pay, walk in with the right information and know what your asking for 90% of the time you will get a reasonable deal.
I have seen instances where a a customer is at the counter and the interpretor has put in a usual retail price. The customer gets a bit annoyed when it has to be ordered so the price is up'ed by 10%. Customer inquires about something else and gets asked for vehicle info. Doesn't have it makes the spare parts guy's job harder so 15% goes onto the part.
Its bussiness at the end of the day, time has to be paid for and its the consumer who has to pay for it.