Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Drivers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:01 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
I love it how in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning, there is some halfwit prattling on about how a night curfew would have 'saved' those four poor kids up north who died in that car crash on Sunday.

Yet how often do we ever hear about the old people on the road? I should now how dangerous they are, I live in a suburb with a disproportionate number of old people. It's retirement central around here! :x

Just this afternoon, I'm driving home along Spit Road, and at the Ourimbah Road intersection I was stopped, about to turn right into Ourimbah Road - waiting for the lights to change.

I was watching the other traffic and I see this brand new BMW 330CL coming up to the intersection in the lane to the left of me a little fast. Probably she was doing about fifty. There were two cars stopped ahead of her at the intersection.

Well, I was looking, she didn't brake at all. Just hit the car in front, a Rav 4 I think. Didn't stop, didn't brake, did nothing. It was one of those things that just scares the shit out of her.

Anyways, massive bang, I see the others get out of the two cars in front (one of the cars in front had a baby in it too), the old woman driving the brand new Beemer is in total shock, can't even think, I could hear her saying 'I don't know what to do, don't know what to do...', she was completely off her rocker!

Car was a complete write off, pissing fuel and engine oil and radiator fluid everywhere. Rav 4 crashed into the car in front as well, so it has front and rear damage and looked like a write off.

I know it was probably an accident, but fark me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:30 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S13
the old man who hit that kid who had just come out of hospital (Sophie... she was in the daycare centre that got hit by a car a couple of years ago) got his license suspended for only a year. He failed to stop at a pedestrian crossing and hit the girl. Next to no media coverage of this at all (details about the driver that is).
Had the driver been a P-plater or owner of a grey import then it would have been plastered all over the media for months and everyone would be jumping up and down to ban P platers from driving fast cars etc etc

It's shit, but anyone who doesn't know that the media is biased in this country (and in most others) must be living under a rock :D

Night curfew is one of the dumbest ideas ever. Irresponsible kids who want to drive at night are going to do so regardless of whether the law says they can or not

Everyone knows that license retesting (especially at older ages) would save lives, but it probably wont happen because then too many eldery people will lose their licences and then either:
a) complain endlessly they have no freedom and are stuck at home until they are allowed to have their licence back, or
b) they'll drive anyway and possibly cause accidents

But, what can you do? :cry:

Post subject: Re: Old Drivers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:33 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
i want a silvia wrote:
I love it how in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning, there is some halfwit prattling on about how a night curfew would have 'saved' those four poor kids up north who died in that car crash on Sunday.

What I really hate is when ever any thing like this (or any thing really) happens. The f**king bleeding hearts come out and bitch about it, They want the goverment to fix what ever there bitching about.

There going to keep getting every rule changed till we cant do any thing at all.

Have you noticed that when ever they show kids that have crashed, 90% of the time its in a Commowhore :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:57 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s15
There will always be bad drivers thats just a fact of life and considering the number of drivers on the road compared to 30yrs ago less people are dying per driver population. Improved roads would have more impact than knee jerk driver restrictions :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:01 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
we DO have license retesting for aged drivers at 80 years of age,and it is compulsory every year onwards after that if they wish to keep driving.

I agree with the rest of what's been written. it's easy to pick on the performance car and P plater minorities,as they're unlikely to put up much of an arguement,and the paper won't lose much financially,as the bulk of their readers haven't been put off side,as they drive camrys slowly (and erratically,but don't mention that ok?) around the suburbs and don't think of anything other than their mortgages and what's best for their newborns.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:44 am 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
fergo308 wrote:
we DO have license retesting for aged drivers at 80 years of age,and it is compulsory every year onwards after that if they wish to keep driving.

I agree with the rest of what's been written. it's easy to pick on the performance car and P plater minorities,as they're unlikely to put up much of an arguement,and the paper won't lose much financially,as the bulk of their readers haven't been put off side,as they drive camrys slowly (and erratically,but don't mention that ok?) around the suburbs and don't think of anything other than their mortgages and what's best for their newborns.

Justin...

I know about the re-testing scheme, but do you know also that they can get a partial licence to drive up to the shops?

I don't care how little area they are driving in, they can still do a lot of damage, as evident above.

I used to go driving (if I had to, only if I really had to) with my grandma who never drove any further than the local shops, when she was in her 70s.

Every time I went in that Corolla I feared for my life. She would be looking at the 'fence pickets' and not the road, she even actually nearly killed me one time by having a complete mental blackout and turning in front of traffic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:53 pm 
T28 Hybrid

lol...when i was like 10, i rode with my grandma in her old husbands xr6 (93 or something like that) and she was doing 160kph from orange to bathurst.....in the middle of a winter night..."ah hello...black ice"

ok to the point...

I have the pleasure of owning more than 1 car, and of these cars, one is a high performance one is an old car my mum originally gave me and the last is a crap box.

The crap box is a N15 pulsar (98 mod.) now i can do 190kph on mona vale road EASY, so can my new onevia...and so can my mums old 4.0L Tickford modded GT!!!! however, within the first year of the pulsar, it had 3 crashes, 2 damage fixings, oil leaks (from thrashing hardcore) and went thru 12 tyres in 8 months (attempting to drift an FF.....successfully once tho lol) and i was on my red-p's.

now being a green-p, driving a sweet arse onevia - im lucky to do the speed limit on the m4; YET - ive had several people yell at me "slow down you jerk" (mainly old bmw/merc fags) when i drive 45 in a 60 zone thru manly on a sunday morning (surf day) im like "WTF" because they usually cross DOUBLE-WHITE LINES (which IS illegal as we know) and do well over 60kph (along sydney road) and thats why if u see a red onevia "W8N 4U" with my lights on in day and high-beams at night...dont go home bc ur car wont be there in one piece when u next drive it (and yes...i have done this to several cars around my area because they park one both sides of the street - none are plated drivers bc they park on their lawns or in their driveways - ive keyed, punched driving lights, liftted bonnets and cut headlight wires and bc they obstruct others that are RIGHT NEXT TO (2x)PRE-SCHOOLS AND ONE PRIMARY SCHOOL + A CHURCH...ahh...hello....people are gonna die there....)

but back to hand,
i started go-karts at 7, now 19...12 years of racing experience - there isnt a single person who wants a curfew can apply it to me, because if they drove a ferrari and i drove a 1.0L Yaris...id still win on any course bc (a) they THINK they know how to drive, sure 10-30 years of suburban driving is ok (b) i doubt many have ever gone thru the blue mountains at 3am driving a truck thru black ice, snow, rain, high winds like my dad and i have done (thats where i learnt manual originally) and (c) and realise all the RX-8's BMW 750's are ACTUAL STANDARD HPV SPORT COUPE/SEDAN/WHATEVER ARE DRIVEN BY THOSE OLD FARKS...really when they dont go out of 2nd? wtf....why restrict the kw? restrict the fkn gears....only allow 2 gears like the 1970-honda-civics that only have 2...no death for p-plates there bc (a) we're young, more alert (b) better ractions (c) better vision (d) we process info a hell of a lot quicker

one last side note,
my dad drives a bmw 740i a v12....we race down mona vale road and galston gorge...and to this day in my onevia ive never needed 4th gear to beat him on (a) uphill or (b) downhill - im no bragging but my point is that ive got more experience at higher speeds than my dad bc he drove trucks and drove 110kph max on the freakin m2...like seriously...110kph isnt much when ur onevia is screaming at 260kph down the same road

just venting for the idea parents who said "youre not welcome here if you buy that death trap."
with such quotes as
"i just bought a $110,000 car with tickford customising thruought and dont forget the 4.0L s-charge car...and lets have our 17-yr-old daughter learn in it....no wonder the first second they bought her a new car she piled up over 18 months $14,000 worth of damages from various things

and i buy my onevia and actually take better care of it than anyone else i know (since i dont know any1 from silviansw lol - well yet!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:19 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
you know the police read this forum too. and you have jut admitted to quite a few VERY stupid things that you have done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:58 am 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
There is this one very old lady that lievs in the units behind where I live, and she scares me to death with her driving (more-so than any P-plater I have been in the car with while they attempt to show me their skills.

This lady takes off, lets her auto move her off the lights, then gentle applies the accelerator, once she gets to about 30km/h, you see her face start to distort, her hands cramp onto the steering wheel, and her eyes show TOTAL FEAR, god fuckign help us, she is travling FAST!!!!!! (at 30km/h).

I got stuck behind her on the Pacific Highway, with 2 cars in front of me in Chatswood on a Saturday (anyone who knows chatswood knows Saturday is peak hour central).

Anyway, after about 3 minutes of pushing 40km/h down the highway with cars flying past us on both sides, the first guy behind starts highbeaming her, so she panics and slows down even more.

The 2nd guy gets the shits, and starts looking for gaps in the traffic to overtake, finds what he thinks it a large enough gap, but dosn't count on the car tailing the gap accelerating, he pulls out and CRUNCH!!!! he's had an accident, but the old lady still plods along.

After this accident,. the first guy zoomings into this lane and flys past (standard behaviour for these angry people is giving the finger, which he did).

I just sat behind her waiting and waiting, eventually coming up to Mowbray and I turned away, she continued down the road, everyone else still fighting to ovetake her, and as I turn, CRUNCH, another knob mis-judges the traffic speed and pulls out only to get slammed from behind.

I know the 2 people merging that crashed where at fault for the accident, but after sitting behind someone doing almost half the legal speed limit, you can understand people getting hot-headed and starting to take risks to overtake, so therefore I blame the old lady for CAUSING the accidents, rather than being at fault invovled in the accidents.

My father is slowing becoming the same, but he cant see it, he used to drive to the road conditions, 60 in a 60 zone, slowed a little if it was raining, etc, and was a brilliant driver, I have seen some very good skills from him behind the wheel, including a massive drift around a long sweeping corner in the dirt after swerving to miss a car that was crossing to the wrong side of the road on a tourist road heading to Port Maquarie.

These days, I doubt he has been over 60km/h, and he has the attitude of "I got plenty of life left in me, and I am in no rush to get to the end of it".

My old man is also only in his mid 60's,, and once he hits 70's he will be far worse.

Personal, I have nothing against anyone on the road, be it old, be it another race, be it gender, everyone has equal opportunity to use the road as long as they drive a registered vehicle, and hold a current and valid driver's licence, but we do need to look at skills testing for younger people, lowering the old person's testing for the aged, and maybe look at also forcing international drivers licence holders to sit a skills test before getting their licence issued in Australia.

As for night time curphews for young drivers, this willl backfire, because who's going to police this and enforce it, cops cant check every single driver's age, and if they should or shouldn't be displaying P-plates, nor are they going to want to pull cars over just to check this, because that's age based descrimination then. Also, who's going to deliver that Pizza at 10:30 at night if all the p-platers are off the road?????

And lastly, I think people should be fined for driving a certain degree UNDER the speed limit as well, if someone is obviously doing 30km/h in a 60 zone, and everyone else is flying past at 60km/h, they are a hazard in their own right, and should either have organge warning lights flashing to notify other drivers they are a hazard (warning br lights, not hazard lights), or they should park their car until they can drive at the same speed as other drivers and keep to the flow of traffic.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:16 am 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
I think you actaully can be fined for doing a rediculously slow speed and making yourself a moving roadblock.

Quote:
skills testing for younger people

More to the point how about some driver training.
It's all about training, training would fix alot of attitudes to because ignorance is to many people bliss.
It won't happen though, it'd put too many winging aussies off side (and people think poms like a winge...) and it would cost money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:51 pm 
T51

Car: S12
No state government gives two shits about making people spend money. They'd probably even see forcing people to do more regular driving tests, take driver training courses, etc as "stimulating the economy". The only thing they actually care about is pissing people off and costing themselves votes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:49 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
It would cost the government alot to develop and implement a decent driver training program, even if the driving tests cost more the initial cost would be up to the government, they would be forced to subsidise it as well to prevent backlash from poor people who need a lisence and so on as well.
It might also highlight the fact that the public transport system is woefull as people try and fall back on it when they fail their test or whatever.
Lots of reasons they probably wouldn't do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:50 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
mrsil80 wrote:
now being a green-p, driving a sweet arse onevia - im lucky to do the speed limit on the m4; YET - ive had several people yell at me "slow down you jerk" (mainly old bmw/merc fags) when i drive 45 in a 60 zone thru manly on a sunday morning (surf day) im like "WTF" because they usually cross DOUBLE-WHITE LINES (which IS illegal as we know) and do well over 60kph (along sydney road) and thats why if u see a red onevia "W8N 4U" with my lights on in day and high-beams at night...dont go home bc ur car wont be there in one piece when u next drive it (and yes...i have done this to several cars around my area because they park one both sides of the street - none are plated drivers bc they park on their lawns or in their driveways - ive keyed, punched driving lights, liftted bonnets and cut headlight wires and bc they obstruct others that are RIGHT NEXT TO (2x)PRE-SCHOOLS AND ONE PRIMARY SCHOOL + A CHURCH...ahh...hello....people are gonna die there....)
Wow you so hard core im scared :roll:

mrsil80 wrote:
but back to hand,
i started go-karts at 7, now 19...12 years of racing experience - there isnt a single person who wants a curfew can apply it to me, because if they drove a ferrari and i drove a 1.0L Yaris...id still win on any course bc (a) they THINK they know how to drive, sure 10-30 years of suburban driving is ok (b) i doubt many have ever gone thru the blue mountains at 3am driving a truck thru black ice, snow, rain, high winds like my dad and i have done (thats where i learnt manual originally) and (c) and realise all the RX-8's BMW 750's are ACTUAL STANDARD HPV SPORT COUPE/SEDAN/WHATEVER ARE DRIVEN BY THOSE OLD FARKS...really when they dont go out of 2nd? wtf....why restrict the kw? restrict the fkn gears....only allow 2 gears like the 1970-honda-civics that only have 2...no death for p-plates there bc (a) we're young, more alert (b) better ractions (c) better vision (d) we process info a hell of a lot quicke.

one last side note,
my dad drives a bmw 740i a v12....we race down mona vale road and galston gorge...and to this day in my onevia ive never needed 4th gear to beat him on (a) uphill or (b) downhill - im no bragging but my point is that ive got more experience at higher speeds than my dad bc he drove trucks and drove 110kph max on the freakin m2...like seriously...110kph isnt much when ur onevia is screaming at 260kph down the same road
All I can say too all that is you chose the time and the place any twisty bits you want and I will own you all the way.

In fact I will be waiting for you at the end and I'm so nice I'll let you know how long it takes you to catch up :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:54 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
No way Justin, he can do 190kph in a pulsar!!11 you've got no chance!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:06 pm 
Twin T51

Car: coon
put your claws away women, he'll learn soon enough.