Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:27 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
Well, yesterday was a great day, went to Canberra, witnessed 2 good friends get married, had a great time, and had a lot of fun....

On the way home, I was very tired, but wathing my speed like a hawk, double demerits you cant be too careful.

Anyway, coming through Marulan (yep, been done here so many bloody times), I was fluctuating my speed from 100km/h to 110km/h on my speedo (and I know my speedo is roughly 10% out of wack, so 100km/h is actually 110km/h).

Anyway, cruising along, I overtak a couple of people, slot back in, make sure speed is dropped back to 100km/h on the speedo, and all of a sudden the red and blues show up in the rear view...

Not thinking anything more than RBT, I pull over, hop out, hand the officer my licence and he tells me "You where doing 128km/h in a 110 zone sir", and I was like "NO WAY, you have to be joking, the speedo is out, but it was between 100 and 110 at the most for the last 40 minutes, there is NO WAY I was doing 1128km/h though that last section".

He walks up to the car and says "obviously modified, isn't it sir", and without thinking I answered "yep (then realised I screwed myself over)".

He walks around the car, comments on the wheels, the exhaust, and asks me how low the car is, before saying "I bet you have worked the motor too?".

At this point I replied with "This car meets all ADR and RTA requirements, the wheels where on the car before I bought it, and the car is running on stock suspension, the exhaust was replaced with a quieter muffler after the previous muffler sprang a hole, but under the bonnet is totally stock, would you like to have a look?".

He then asked again if I had done anything to the motor, or under the bonnet, and he seemed more interested in modifications than a nything else.

Anyways, after he RBT'd me, and walked around the car for 10 minutes, he took my licence, told me to have a seat in my car, and he would do a rego check.

After the rego check, and all other BS was completed, he came back giving me a fine for 128km/h in a 110 zone (double demerits means kiss licence good by with 6 points gone), so now I either face 3 months no licence, or 12 months 1 demirt point on a proby licencce, but this doesn't worry me, as it's been 18 months since my last fine.

Just sucks, the cop was obviously looking for a defect, and when he couldn't find one, he just does me for speeding, there was NO WAY I was speeding, that's jnust crap, but that's life....

So now I know when 110km/h doesn't equal 110 (I cant argue, because I know my speedo is out of wack, therefore I cant prove beyond a doubt that I wasn't speeding, although I will take this further, because I dont think it's a fair ticket, maybe I win, maybe not, but I wont be expecting anything in my favour for this).

B.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:51 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
Turbo_Brian wrote:
"NO WAY, you have to be joking, the speedo is out, but it was between 100 and 110 at the most for the last 40 minutes, there is NO WAY I was doing 1128km/h though that last section".

You'd have to have an SR to be going 1128km/h! :o

Personally, i'd have demanded he show you the radar displaying 128...

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:24 pm 
Twin T66

oops, typo....

B.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:45 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Turbo_Brian wrote:
Not thinking anything more than RBT, I pull over, hop out, hand the officer my licence and he tells me "You where doing 128km/h in a 110 zone sir", and I was like "NO WAY, you have to be joking, the speedo is out, but it was between 100 and 110 at the most for the last 40 minutes, there is NO WAY I was doing 1128km/h though that last section".
You should have never hoped out of the car, They hate that they see it as a sign of agretion. And you should have never said the speedo was out. You should just play dumb and polite.

Turbo_Brian wrote:
When 110km/h isnt 110km/h
Good question???? hard to tell when your speedo is out :wink: :D

too_much_boost wrote:
You'd have to have an SR to be going 1128km/h! :o
Haha :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:29 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s15
Have you done an odometer test on one of those 5k test zones on the highway it will give you a rough idea how much the speedo is out :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:49 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 03 VY Commodore S2
Just a FYI.

You actually get 2 points on the good driving bond. At least up here in QLD we do. So you can still get another speeding fine and not lose your license. Well as long as your only caught doing 0-5km/h over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:58 pm 
Twin T66

MagiTEK wrote:
Just a FYI.

You actually get 2 points on the good driving bond. At least up here in QLD we do. So you can still get another speeding fine and not lose your license. Well as long as your only caught doing 0-5km/h over.

Here in Syd, you only get 1 point I believe, this is what I have been told anyways.....

With the 0 - 5km ordo test, I used to get 4.7kms to the 5 km mark, but now it's 5kms exactly to the 5km test thing, but a friend was doing 110km/h while mine was saying 100km/h...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:08 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Gazelle - CA20E
Sucked in! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:16 am 
Quad T88

Car: S15
HAHAHA, werd! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:05 am 
Twin T51

Car: coon
still doesnt warrant another freakin bitching thread from you.... you deserve your own "turbo_brian's bitching section".
cop it sweet and take the 3 months, it'll fly by a lot quicker than a year of watching your speedo and causing accidents.... have a whinge and they'll ream you harder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:12 am 
T51

Car: bogankart
splashman wrote:
still doesnt warrant another freakin bitching thread from you.... you deserve your own "turbo_brian's bitching section".
cop it sweet and take the 3 months, it'll fly by a lot quicker than a year of watching your speedo and causing accidents.... have a whinge and they'll ream you harder...

Vote Splashman for Mod!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:37 am 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
They dont have to show you the radar to prove it. And if the radar says 128, then you look like an even bigger ass, he the radar is wiped out, then he defects you for everything known to man, and probably a red sticker just for the aggravation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:18 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Turbo_Brian wrote:
So now I know when 110km/h doesn't equal 110 (I cant argue, because I know my speedo is out of wack, therefore I cant prove beyond a doubt that I wasn't speeding

Thankfully the totalitarian mindset behind our terrorism laws, or even the hoon laws, haven't yet filtered to this part of the road rules yet.

Its not your requirement to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you weren't speeding. Its the requirement of the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is still something that applies to people in Australia, unless the cops say you're a street racer or a Muslim.

If you're taking it further, speak to a proper traffic lawyer.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:25 am 
T04 Hybrid

Car: SW20 MR2
be polite to coppers... they usually do the attitude test... simply, if you initiate any sign of aggititation... they will fine you... be more agressive and they will defect everything on your vehicle...

Stay calm... simple short answers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:01 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
exactly. pull over,wait for them to come to you,be humble and polite,apologise and there's a good chance you'll be let go with a warning.

hell,I threw my last S14 sideways going through an orange arrow at an intersection in the middle of the CBD on the way home from work one day - right in front of a cop car. they followed me down the road and pulled me over. I was on a suspended license at the time,and the car wasd a rolling defect,with no cat,a too loud exhaust,rose jointed radius rods,pod filter,harness,etc... I sat there sweating for about 10min after handing over my license and apologising for being stupid,and explaining that I'd had a bad day,and wasn't thinking properly about what I was doing. when the copper eventually came back to the car,I was let off and drove home very quietly counting my lucky stars.

attitude and approach has as much to do with if you get booked or not as what you've done to be noticed in the first place.

Justin...