Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:51 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
Something that has been shitting more since I got the 180sx than when I had my Mazda 626....

As most people here woudl appreciate, the 1i80sx has massive B-Pillars compared to your average "sensible" car, so shoulder checking is less effective than it would in a family sedan.

Anyway, several times this week alone, I have gone to change lanes and merge left, indicated, performed a shoulder check, checked the mirrors, then began to merge only to get horned at and blasted for merging into someone that is sitting in the blind spot.

Hey fuckwits, there is a good 10 - 15 maybe even 20 seconds from when I indicate to when I begin to merge, look at the bloody flashing light, and either back the fuck off and be a little p;olite, or speed up and be fucking arrogant and make yourself seen, either way, dont hide your arse in the blind spot and wing when someone merges after not seeing you.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:27 am 
T28

Car: s15
I know what you mean mate.. I hate people that sits in the blind spot like that. Absolutely no idea. I've seen people do that to big semi's and trucks as well and nearly get cleaned up when the truck merges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:44 am 
Twin T66

ansch wrote:
I know what you mean mate.. I hate people that sits in the blind spot like that. Absolutely no idea. I've seen people do that to big semi's and trucks as well and nearly get cleaned up when the truck merges

I got no problems with cars traveling through the blind spot, but fuckers have to sit in the blind spot, and wonder why people merge at them.

I have seen trucks and even buses almost take out cars purely because the car has been sitting in the blind spot, and not just for a short time.

Last trip to Brisbane, I was watching a car sitting in a truck's blindspot for over 15 minutes at 100km/h in a 110km/h zone.

The car went to overtake the truck, and then decided to sit in the blind spot, so the truck (who saw him) couldn't merge back across, althrough he indicated and even threatened to merge several times, but the fuckwit just sat there.

The car ended up being forced to slow due to left lane ending, but as soon as an overtaking lane came up, I was around both of them instantly and gone.

Common sence, if you have issues with visibility in that corner on any car you drive, most of the other drivers probably do as well, so think about the other drivers, and make everyone's time on the roads a little easier.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:00 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s15
You've done all you can to ensure you change lanes correctly

however like you've said, some ppl are just oblivious to certain things

on the flipside though, i've experienced a dozen times where ppl have been indicating and I slow down to let them in ... and then 20 secs later Ive realised that they just left they're blinker on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:34 am 
Twin T51

Car: coon
this is a joke right?
are you seriously bitching about the fact you cant check your blind spots properly?
how hard is it to keep an eye on your rearview mirror and side mirror while driving so you can actually see whose around you? that car in your blinspot didnt appear out of nowhere....
im not saying that people sitting blindspots isnt stupid, but fuck me if you cant change lanes without checking your blindspots properly then your just as bad as them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:18 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

I always do a motorbike-style 'headcheck' before changing lanes, which basically consists of spinning your head around as far as it can go in the direction that you're going to move. Unless you have 'fooli hektik tints bro', this should eliminate blindspots.

Another thing that I think is missing from the driver education program (in NSW anyway), is how to set up your mirrors correctly. Most people have the rear-view mirror set up correcty (mostly becuase it's almost impossible to do it wrong), but 99/100 times, people have their door mirrors simply showing a copy of their rear-view mirror. To set them up correctly, you have to adjust them to extend either side of the rear-view mirror.

You shouldn't be able to see your car in either of your door mirrors, and you'll have to re-adjust them if you use them to park, but I think that eliminating your blindspots is worth it...

Edit: At the end of the day though, if you change lanes into someone (even if they're intentionally sitting in your blindspot), the law says you're at fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:36 pm 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
actualyl i thought u are supposed to see just a bit of ur car in either door mirror

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:21 pm 
T51

Car: S12
cypher1024 wrote:
At the end of the day though, if you change lanes into someone (even if they're intentionally sitting in your blindspot), the law says you're at fault.

I'm not sure you're right about this actually (but I'm also not sure that you're wrong).

If you've indicated for a "reasonable" period of time (5 seconds when exiting a park, for example) and your B pillar is in front of the B pillar of the car into whose lane you're merging, are they not obliged to give way? If they fail to give way when they're obliged to and as a result an accident occurs, are they not at fault?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:06 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Fester wrote:
they not obliged to give way? If they fail to give way when they're obliged to and as a result an accident occurs, are they not at fault?
they not obliged to give way are you kidding me this is sydeny no one gives way, No one cares and it's all ways some one elses fault :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:17 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
i have to agree with splash, if you dont look and someone is in your blind-spot - that you didnt check - then you missed a critical part of your drivers test

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:30 pm 
T51

JayS14 wrote:
Fester wrote:
they not obliged to give way? If they fail to give way when they're obliged to and as a result an accident occurs, are they not at fault?
they not obliged to give way are you kidding me this is sydeny no one gives way, No one cares and it's all ways some one elses fault :roll:

Sadly you are right (I wish I could laugh about it but I can't, the number of fuckwits that almost kill me every day between home and work is staggering). The question wasn't would someone give way though, it was would you be at fault if they didn't give way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:23 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
You are trying to merge into their lane. They do not have to give way to you. It is your responsibility to ensure the lane is clear before merging

The rule you are talking about refers to the situation in a 3 line road where the outer 2 lanes are both trying to merge into the centre lane at the same time

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:37 am 
T51

too_much_boost wrote:
The rule you are talking about refers to the situation in a 3 line road where the outer 2 lanes are both trying to merge into the centre lane at the same time

Thanks for clearing that up. That makes more sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:39 pm 
Twin T66

I never said I dont check for people in blind spots, but I have seen people sneaking up to the blind spot, and then 5 mins later, as I begin indicate, do shoulderchecks, etc, and see nothing (due to thickness of B-pillar, and edge of Wing on the boot), and dont see them, but as I start to merge, they suddenly appear in the side mirror (which is correctly adjusted to be just slightly off the edge of the car).

Only happened every now and then, but it's farkin annoying, because the ones it happens to are the pricks that sit there for decent amounts of time, so it's not like I wasn't watching my mirrors, just that after 10+ minutes you tend to forget about the people in there and concentrate on the cars I can see.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:21 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Turbo_Brian wrote:
...you tend to forget about the people in there and concentrate on the cars I can see....

That was kind of my point though... It is possible to set up your mirrors so that you don't have blind spots...