Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:41 am 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
Well, car's been going quite well for the last 4 weeks, but before that I was runing a few tanks of ethanol blended Shell 100Ron through just to see what she was like.

The fuel it's self wasnt all that bad, the car ran nice, however the consumption was shocking.

BUT this morning I was smelling a fuely sort of smell after driving to work, and after lifting the bonnet, there was fuel everywhere near the filter....

I gave NRMA a call (I have unlimited call-outs), and they came and replaced the fuel lines to and from the filter, and also replaced the return feed line, all lines had bubbles, and the line feeding the filter had blown out (not hugely, but enough that there was plenty of fuel around).

Sad thing is, his first question was "have you used ethanol blended fuels in the last 4 - 6 weeks?" to which I had, and he said "dont use them anymore, pay the extra and use quality fuel in this sort of car".

I know NRMA mechanics are not the be all and end all saviours of the mechanic world, and I know the majority of members here would be able to run rings around NRMA road-side service when it comes to S13's, but it's pretty strange that even NRMA are bagging the ethanol fuels.

Either way, I got new lines for free, and the car wont be running on ethanol blends anymore.

B.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:28 pm 
TO4

Car: Silvia S13 K's
Turbo_Brian wrote:
"pay the extra and use quality fuel in this sort of car".

Doesnt the Shell Extreme cost extra anyways and did you mention you were using Extreme and not some cheap ass ethanol mixed from an unknown servo?

Cause I have been using Shell Exreme for the past 3 months now and its been running beaut. Smooth acceleration and a bit less consumption. Ill go home tonight and check on the fuel lines and stuff for any problems like the ones you mentioned above.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:29 pm 
Twin T66

I told him, and his reaction was "it's still ethanol blended".

I do personally think that my lines where old and pitted anyway, so that wouldn't have helped, but the Ethanol maybe added to the last little bit.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:07 pm 
T78

Car: 180 Sr20d3t
my 180 runs SWEET AS on optimax extreme- most torque ive ever had and pulls like a train- havnt had this feeling since i got the car from japland and it had jap fuel in it

Worse comes to worse ill get braided lines though been using it for 3 months and not one complaint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:11 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
mine ran ok as well, but i dont want the risks of blowing a fuel line.

i also got crap economy, power was smooth. but lately ive been using BP ultimate 98, its even more smooth for me, also bad economy.

i might just stick to normal optimax however......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:56 pm 
Twin T66

zei20l wrote:
mine ran ok as well, but i dont want the risks of blowing a fuel line.

i also got crap economy, power was smooth. but lately ive been using BP ultimate 98, its even more smooth for me, also bad economy.

i might just stick to normal optimax however......

Since I had 1 fuel line fail, I am looking at replacing all the fuel lines from the current to new braided lines, however I am not running anothing super through the fuel lines, considering it's still the stock injectors and fuel pump, but future-proofing things is what I do....

Anyway, I dont think singularly the Ethanol was the culprit, but age was a major contender.

Also, for those running Extreame 100 Ron, is it with a CA or an SR, the CA ran nice on it (dont get me wrong here), the power was smooth, and you could feel the extra push it wanted to give, also the tuning aspect means you could advance the timing even more, and up the turbo a bit, BUT it was drinking to fast for my work's liking (and when work gives me a fuel card, they dictate somewhat how much I can drive).

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:36 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
I looked at putting this in mine when it first came out. I pulled up to the pump and they wanted something like 10 cents a litre more over the already dear 98 price so I just kept driving.

If they won't advertise the price before you get to the bowser they have to expect that. But thats besides the point I am now glad I never tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:45 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: MX83 Cressida
I saw a Australian report where several cars used 20% EULP.

The results were not positive at all.

Fuel pump started to rust, swelling of hoses etc.

But that's at 20%. Cars in Brazil run 60%.... But how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:41 pm 
Twin T51

Car: S13 K
all their fuel lines are coverted to metal, copper I believe.
there is a thread somewhere about the Shell 100 fuel, where its all discussed.