Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:10 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
little do they know that 4WDs are not as safe as they think. And i dont mean for the person they smash into

hydrogen powered cars arent far off, same as air powered cars :)

i wonder if the petrol companies will poo poo them or buy them out and run the project into the ground. because if there is no fuel sold, they have no business

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:16 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
our extended warranty is called extra care. you pay a couple of grand for it,and it lasts another two years. they cover 50% of the cost of repairs.

speaking of warranty e amount of bullshit we are forced to spin to put things through warranty so the customers don't have to pay and go away happy is a fucking joke as well.
lexus are even worse than us apparently. they replace 3/4 of the interior trims for free on cars that are years out of warranty,just for a tiny squeak that only happens when the guy backs out of his driveway on an angle in the morning....

the attitude of city 4wd owners IS pathetic,I agree with everything that's been said on this here so far.
they're wasteful,poorly controlled (how many do you see with N/SR quarter damage from backing into things when parking?),oversized camrys. most of them are only using 5 of the 7 seats they have,so why are they needed? get a fucking sedan or wagon!!!
leave the three tonne truck to the farmer that needs to work offroad.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:14 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
funny you mention it actaully but noises and squeaks are my biggest hatred at the moment!

I spend on average 2 hours each day road testing cars with customers or the technicans looking for stupid little noises that are so damn hard to replicate it verges on insane.

Then they have a big sook because you can't fault the car.
I mean honestly you have bought 4wd can you really expect it to be perfectly silent. My new maxima has a few noises but who cares its a car they are always going to do it.

And people just can't get a grasp on warranty these days. Im my view of the waranty is out stiff shit you pay. Not anymore. Now we can submit a VRA to nissan (vehicle repair assistance) then nissan decides if they will still cover it even though the 3 years 100,000K's are out.

I did a gear box last week on a pulsar that was well out of warranty. It had a dodgy 2nd and 3rd selector, I knew the owner had done it, when driving with them I noticed they leave pressure on the gear selector which obviously wears. Told nissan but hey they still got suckered into paying because the customer whinged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:25 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
Ive had enough of these 4wd, especially the women who drive them. Think they own the world and they can do no wrong.

The other day im sitting at the lights with a 4wd drive infront of me, it starts rolling backwards, i decided to beep, no response, keeped beeping in various different pattens, no respense. I was trying to get the guy behind me to move back, my passenger was trying to open the doors to scream at them but they lock automatically with the alarm. Luckely a man on the side of the road yelled at her and she moved foward.

What the hell is some short women doing piloting a huge 5 speed death machine, search me.

I think i'm going to some phsyco airhorn or somthing, so i can scare the shit out of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:34 pm 

that reminds me of a japanese woman with a prado a couple of years back.
the service manager asked me to drive her home,then bring the car back so we could work on it.
I was told just before I got into the car to not comment on her driving.
about 30 seconds later,I found out why.
if anyone was a candidate for a manual to auto conversion,this woman was it. she'd be in 3rd gear within 100m,and would just put the clutch in when she'd pull up at the lights. when the light went green,she'd take off in third,slipping the hell out of the clutch...every light. a couple of times,she tried it in fourth. the truck shuddered like mad,so she'd just slip the clutch a bit more... I was horrified.

when I got back to work(after having used the appropriate gears for the road speed for probably the first time in the truck's life) I was told it had already had two clutches and a gearbox rebuild under warranty... and what galled me was that they had no problem with allowing that to continue.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:47 pm 
T51

Car: S12
Your willpower is strong. I would not have been able to contain myself. It gets me in trouble sometimes, but its worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:01 am 

fester: I was only in the car with her for about 10min,I can hold out longer than that,as long as I'm not in actual danger. it's only the truck that suffered.

I think we need to come up with a catch phrase... 'friends don't let friends drive 4wd's...' :wink:

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:56 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

4WD patches?

Gradual steps to help you quit and stay off 4WDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:30 am 
Quad T88

Releases small amounts of "women on power trip" to help you stay calm, in control, and quit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:16 pm 
Quad T88

out of interest do guys agree with the new propsed rules on 4WD's

Mainly about the suspension lift modifiactions??

I can see both sides of the fence but im manily for the rules.
I mean why on earth do they need to have hilux's that are 10inches taller than standard. Visability is minimal at the best of times yet alone once they are stupid tall. I guess driver safety also enters, how much more likely is it for a tall car to roll over comapred to a standard height 4wd. I persoanlly feel very nervous when driving a customers "raised" patrol, they wander all over the road, feel very unstable around even large roundabouts and are extremely under braked. You think about adding a steel bull bar, winch, tow bar and all the other "nessesities" there is probably 500Kgs worth of gear. Add in 7 90Kg passengers and its not going to stop too well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:26 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
I'm just happy that the media is asking the rta and police about the legality of raised 4wd's rather than lowered imports.

Never driven one, but there was a really high example just up the road from my parents place that i followed out of the suburb some mornings on my way to uni. I was actually able to see straight through the thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
Sounds like this Toyota around here, dead set it the chassis rails are 5 feet of the ground. Ive heard its been rolled a few times daily driving!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:15 pm 
Quad T88

One of the guys at work has a raised hilux and all his mates have monster toyota's and nissan's. I can't beleive some of the crap they do to these cars to make them so tall. Home made suspension joints and the like.
Id be shit scared driving on suspension that was welded up by an amature with no real idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:38 pm 
T51

Car: S12
Have they be able to explain what the attraction is to having such a tall vehicle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:27 pm 

the reply will be something akin to what a lowrider will say about his excessively lowered vehicle.

I'm all for a tightening of the regulations on 4WDs. even safety aside (which is a HUGE part of the argument anyway) there has been a double standard with these things that I've had an objection to for a long time.

passenger cars with larger and/or wider wheels than standard are often defected,yet a 4WD running 35" tyres on smaller diameter wheels than std,that hang so far out of the guards that the truck's original track width is somewhere near the tyre's INNER sidewall are left alone. anyone care to explain the logic of that one to me?

I will also back up risking's comments on what these things are like to drive on the street. they're flat out dangerous.

one of the guys in wholesale at my work had a V6 4 runner a couple of years ago that was 8" taller than std,running on 35" rubber.
he had a 4" body lift kit in it,and modified suspension that was bought out of the US. he had to grind material off of his brake callipers up front to clear the 15" wheels that he went DOWN to from 16" to fit the 35" coopers.
the truck had no sway bars for several weeks as the kit didn't come with the correct links to adapt the STANDARD bars to the new height body.
I had to drive the thing one day to drop it off for a sublet repair to one of it's diffs and let me tell you it was the most frightening ride of my life so far.
the thing was a foot wider than the lane I was supposed to be occupying,it leaned over on roughly a 20deg. angle when you quietly changed lanes at 50km/h,and it took about as long to stop from 50km/h as my S14 used to from 150km/h. the steering didn't really tell the wheels where to go,so much as give them a vauge suggestion as to what it wanted and then left them to sort it out for themselves.
I drove the truck for roughly 10km and I was a wreck when I climbed down out of it. I got the apprentice that followed me there to drive us back to work,even though he was on 17 and on his red P's. that'll give you an indication of how shaky I was.

nah,I'll be a very happy man the day things like that get their come-uppance.

Justin...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next