It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Government Logic?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:51 am 
T66 Hybrid

The lack of logic by some governments is really incredible:
From ABC News
Quote:
The ACT Government has proposed changing the law to increase the number of speed camera zones in Canberra.
It is a bid to combat Canberra's rising road toll, which has now reached 17, seven more than last year's total.
Canberra has about 60 designated sites for speed cameras based on accident history and speed surveys.
Urban Services Minister John Hargreaves wants to change the law so any stretch of road in Canberra could be a speed camera zone.
"This is an attack, in fact, on people's lack of attention," he said.
"See, what we're seeing in the ACT with regard to drink-driving, with regard to fatigue, to people talking on mobile phones, is it really goes to they're being inattentive to their driving duties."
ACT Opposition urban services spokesman Steve Pratt agrees the Government should be able to deploy speed cameras whenever and wherever they want.
"Speed cameras are an impediment to people who want to speed, and if they are deployed anywhere and any time this is going to make those few reckless drivers amongst us think twice," he said.

More people get killed on the roads because they are pissed, on the phone or tired but the government thinks speed cameras will fix the problem. Even worse, the opposition agrees!

The NRMA is actually the voice of reason on this one:
Quote:
NRMA president Alan Evans says he supports the use of speed cameras where they can reduce accidents, but in this case he is worried it is an overreaction.
"We're also concerned that governments seem to like to find a quick way of raising revenue," he said.
"The whole issue is attitude and education and we'd be very pleased if the minister wrote to us and wanted to sit down with us and use our considerable resources to make sure we address this horrendous road toll in the ACT.
"And I'm not sure putting speed cameras up around Canberra at the moment would have solved any of the latest problems."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:09 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
speed cameras have nothing to do with safety. as Alan Evans said, its a quick way to raise revenue.

the speed camera near my house apparently collects a lot of money in fines, but in my many years of owning a car and driving along that road virutally every day, i dont recall seeing any accidents. im not talking about someone nudging someone, real accidents.

and ACT had a road toll of 17?? holy shit, thats damn good considering how many drivers there are in that state

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:56 pm 
Twin T51

canberra already has alot of speed zones, especially the speed vans parked on the side of the roads. sounds like the government is trying to line their wallets. and the NRMA stating the death toll as "horrendous?"

180sx/s13 stuff for sale- http://forum.silviansw.com/viewtopic.php?t=30110

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:32 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I haven't seen a single accident anywhere there's been a speed camera,at any time that I've driven past one in all the years they've been around.
not even nost to tail 'I wasn't watching' types.

Banzai,isn't logical government an oxymoron?

and lastly,I love how the NRMA felt the need to big note themselves when interviewed. 'with our considerable resources'... yeah,ok,that would be referring to the huge sums of money they take from people to insure them right?
you only listen to what the NRMA has to say if you're a pensioner who slowly drives to the shops once a week in your local area.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:54 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Justin and Iain, those speed cameras must be working if you've never seen an accident near them. :wink:

BTW, that well known accident blackspot, the soon-to-be-opened Cross City Tunnel has speed cameras installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:01 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Fa(s)t red boat
About the only reason the government would care about you dying on the road is that your one less fuel excise buyer, they cant book you for trivial parking spot bullshit and they can't rape your paycheck for taxes anymore.
The day some scrote licking public servent or politition genuinely gives a stuff about some 20-30something single dude dying on a roadside will be a cold day in hell.

Heck they dont even give a fuck if you wipe out an endangered amazon tribe in a Greyhound bus really, its just a bloody statistic on some bean counters book to throw a few more speed traps in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:45 pm 
TO4

Car: CA18DE S12
you can use statistics to prove anything. 48% of people know that.

facts, shmacts!!

load of baloney, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:55 am 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
I think its funnier when said "76% of statistics are made up on the spot"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:07 am 

I've always liked the 'you can prove 75% of statistics to the majority of people most of the time.'

by the way,the spots with cameras that I was referring to? I've never seen accidents at their locations in the two decades I was around before the cameras were installed...

and then we have the new cross city tunnel,which had cameras installed before it even opened. how do we justify that one? the builders crashed their utes in there?

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:17 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
The fucking ED tunnel near The Domain has cameras in it, and that road's relativel new (considering how long the cameras have been in there for). What kind of fucking moron shunts their car in a 4 lane wide, dead straight piece of fresh blacktop?

And anyone wanting to do some "Smoky Nagata" type runs through there would also be the kind of person to pull over on Elizabeth Street, unscrew the plates, go nuts, and then screw them back on when you take the South Dowling exit and pull in to the MegaMart.

I don't know how these idiots can talk about using speed cameras to catch drunk drivers, fatigued drivers, or any other kinds of inattention. "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here!"

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:34 pm 

I nearly did a TTT run through the tunnels last week. seeing as I'm carless atm I may have to buy a cheap shitbox and do just that,adding a message to the car's back window so they get the idea.
my own personal little protest...

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:38 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
let me know when you decide to go. sounds like fun :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:38 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 370z
A couple more interesting tidbits:

In the next few years excise is being introduced on LPG gas as well as petrol, so that hole is being closed.

from the relevant site:
http://www.transport.act.gov.au/speedca ... _selection

Sites are selected on the basis of crash history and speed surveys are also used to determine the priority for installation of fixed cameras or frequency that mobile cameras attend those sites

Now keep it in mind that they designated speed camera zones on the new ginnederra drive extension BEFORE IT WAS BUILT. and thus BEFORE THERE WERE ANY CARS TO SURVEY OR ACCIDENTS TO BE HAD.

fuckers.