Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:33 am 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
Im a rather unhappy camper at the moment; my nice new SR20DET that has only been in my car for 2,200kms (from a halfcut that I was told had only 56,200kms) has spun the big end bearing. Although ill be calling justjap tomorrow, i dont like my chances of getting anything done because i payed for the halfcut nearly 3 months ago (warranty is for 30 days from date of payment). The car has only been in a driveable condition for 3 or 4 weeks now (dud clutch, electrical problems[faulty alarm], etc)

I know it wasnt because of anything I had done.. It had fresh oil in it, I let it warm up and cool down every time, and had probably hit 7000rpm twice in the time ive had it (never even hit the rev limiter). Most of the kms put on it were trips to sydney (400km round trip, freeway driving), and the rest was driving to/from work. (40km round trip, 100km/h zone the whole way - good ol' country areas).

I really cant afford to get this fixed, replaced, whatever.. I had to take out another $5k loan to get this current engine in!

I guess my pride and joy (my car is the only thing in the world I care about.. well it and coca cola :P) will sit in my back yard where the tow truck dropped it off for a few months now.

Ive also got a twisted front end I believe; I went for a wheel alignment yesterday morning, and the drivers side wheel seems to be pulled forward far too much. Only 6.5' caster on that side resulted in there being a half inch gap between the front edge of the tyre and the front bar, and that caster rod was wound in all the way. On the other side however, 7' caster was dialled up, and the wheel sits exactly where it should. the caster rod still has a good 1.5cm of adjustment left in it.
What the hell is bent? and why is it bent forward?? Towies are the only thing I can think of. (i ripped that wheel off backwards before by hitting a gutter.. but that would mean it would sit too far BACK if the brackets were bent; not forward!)

GRR

Im too poor for this game.. why cant my car just WORK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:09 am 

Car: MKV Golf
Man that sucks big time. :x When my engine died, i decided to go for the re-build instead of the front cut replacement for that exact reason.

You just can't be sure what state the internals of an engine from a front cut are in.

In the end it has cost me heaps more $$ but i know that my engine will be starting again with 0kms.

Shit dude...You've had some bad luck.You must be pretty demoralised. :cry:

Maybe you can get another loan and get this engine rebuilt?

Hang in there! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:11 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: 2012 Golf TSI... least its boosted!
Damn I feel for you man, its everyones worst nightmare when buying a front cut.

Speak to Just Jap and see what they say before you start making decisions etc, like BT said, in the end you may just have to try and rebuild?

Hope it pans out alright for you mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:47 am 
Quad T04

Car: GTI
bad luck mate, I guess it never ends for you and your car.. one thing after another :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:21 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
Mate you have had nothing but bad luck.

Let me know what JJ say, ill work out a very cheap re-build for you tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:15 pm 
T78

Car: S14a, Euro Accord Lux
that is bad, but next time you will learn to get a rebuild like BT
I also was on the cheapass side, and decided to get a replacement engine, ended up costing more than i expected, somewhere like 4.5k, soonafter same thing happened, after very little KMS, the engine rooted itself, now I took teh safe option and done rebuild with forgies for about the same price. Good to know that you start off with 0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:29 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: machine
what's involved in an engine rebuilt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:42 pm 
TO4

Car: R32 GT-R
Pull out and Pull apart and inspect whole motor & determine extend of damage
Select new parts needed
Prepare block/head, clean/hone/machine to suit new parts
Assemble parts & install

There you go in a nutshell :lol:
Might be a bit brief !

Sorry to hear of your trouble Ark, its a long dark road you've been on - but don't despair there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Everything happens for a reason... you'll get there in the end :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:25 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: machine
thanks morgs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:42 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
everyone goes through a time where everything goes to shit. you pull through mate!

but dont forget to ring up justjap, they might be able to help you out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:35 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
justjap isnt very interested in helping - although the engine was obviously worn out completely when I got it, I was told it ran fine and had 56000kms on it (as thats what the cluster said). I guess its a case of buyer beware..
They were happy enough to get me bearings and other parts needed for the rebuild on the cheap (cost, or at least close to cost price).
Technically they havent done anything wrong; my engine is indeed out of warranty. Morally there is a bit of a concern, as having an engine die only 2,200kms after being in the car (given that ive taken very good care of it in that time) is obviously NOT NORMAL.

My parents didnt believe me when I said it was the big end bearing, so they took it upon themselves to get a mechanic to come to our house and have a look at it. They now believe me that its a dead bearing, because a "professional" said so.

The mechanic raised a point that I had noticed too, however; the oil is exeptionally clean! It looks just as it did when it came out of the bottle, 2000kms ago. I would have expected at least a discolouration or a cloudyness to the oil, not transparent as it is before its used.
This makes me think about the actual cause of death of the engine: could it be that the oil wasnt flowing through the engine properly? Caused by a dud oil pump, or perhaps blocked (fully or partially) galleries/channels?

To get a working engine into my car, I will have to borrow more money... my parents have agreed to lend me the money to buy the engine I want, but because they are stupid and dont trust my judgement (remember them getting a mechanic to say what I already said?) . They want the seller of the engine to give a 6 month money back guarantee that the engine wont die.

I think that is absolute bull for a number of reasons, but its my parents money so they have final word.
I know the engine im looking at will not break; it has been rebuilt recently, and has a documented history (unlike my current mill). I would even be happy if the seller said "yeah ill give you a guarantee" with his fingers crossed, just so that he can get money, I can get an engine, and my parents will be happy.

I felt like the biggest dickhead in the universe when I was forced to ask the seller if he would give a 6 month guarantee on the engine :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:20 pm 

Car: MKV Golf
Your parents are like my Fiancee.She won't believe what i say.

Just today, she asked for my mechanics number so that she could call them and try and get my bearings,which are on back order from Nissan japan,delivered sooner.How embarrasing. :oops:

Does she think Nissan are going to drop everything just to get some bearings sent over for some guy in Australia?? :o

Ark,i was going to ask you "why another engine and not a rebuild?" but i guess if you know the full history then that makes it better.

Good luck with this one! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:25 pm 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
ark,

id pretend to buy an engine, and then jsut get your current one rebuilt.

it will owkr out cheaper, and then no risk of any bearings going anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:33 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: 2012 Golf TSI... least its boosted!
I think he is interested in buying Lawsy's engine which we all know has just recently been rebuilt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:56 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
BT wrote:
Does she think Nissan are going to drop everything just to get some bearings sent over for some guy in Australia?? :o

Nope, but they might do it for some girl......