Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:13 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Like most of us, I enjoy Britain's Top Gear TV show. Its an entertaining and humourous look at performance cars, and its something I wish they'd do here.

But it seems that the Poms have an equivalent to the Pedestrian Council of Australia (that idiot lobby group run by the attention whore crackpot Harold Scruby) who want to get this TV show banned.

Quote:
Environmental campaigners have called for the BBC's Top Gear programme to be scrapped as they claim it promotes irresponsible driving.

Transport 2000, which is committed to reducing the environmental and social effects of transport, argues that Top Gear falls short in its responsibility to educate viewers and acknowledge the interests of women drivers.

"We want to see Top Gear taken off the screens," says Steve Hounsham, of Transport 2000.

"It is irresponsible, out-dated television designed to give comfort to boy racers, 'petrolheads' and those from the 'get out of my way' school of driving.

Which is absolute tosh (to borrow a British term). Pretty much all of Top Gear's high-speed driving is done on the track or an airfield. They'll give it a good squirt on a B or C road, but then people have been doing that before the show was around, and people will continue to do it after the show stops.

As for the sexist comment, that's provably false too. Vicki Butler-Henderson used to co-host that show. And while she's pretty cute, its not like they paraded her around in a bikini or stuck her in crappy little econoboxes or girly cars. I've got videos of her thrashing a Ferrari 360 CS, and when she runs an Audi TT V6 against a 350Z she picks the less understeery, slower car for her pick.

While they don't cover fuel economy or how many golf bags you can fit into the boot (although Tiff Needel did drive a McLaren F1 to and from a golf course) the show's aimed at enthusiast drivers. Which is probably why its more popular than that ratshit "car show" that Glen Ridge was hosting a while ago.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:52 am 

Car: MKV Golf
It's stupid to claim that Top Gear promotes irresponsible driving when they are testing high powered supercars and the like that are built to be driven like that.

So at the end of the day i guess it's the manufacturers fault?

Total nonsence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:52 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: ^
typical whinging poms :lol:

I saw a while ago Top Gear got into trouble for running into a tree or knocking it down or something like that.... and they had to pay compo to the owner of the property because the tree was "an old tree" :roll:

Still, great show though... have watched a hell of a lot of nice cars being driven in the true way they were intended... on the track flat out :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:26 pm 
Quad T04

Car: GTI
Maybe they are just taking the piss? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:21 pm 
Twin T04

Car: 92 Silvia Q, 93 180sx
Top gear have in fact focused more then once on the fuel economy of cars.

Once Jermary Clarkson drove from one city to another (can't remember the names) and back in a flash Audi with a large capacity diesel engine, just to see how far he could go on a single tank.

By driving conservatively, (not accelerating up hills or slowing down unnecessarily, rolling to red lights etc) I think he managed to travel 800 miles on a single tank.

At the end of the show Jermary had a nice reflection statement on how fuel could be conserved by driving intelligently, which would effectively double how much longer the World would have petrol.

Now obviously he thrashes cars on the race track which sort of contradicts what he just did but for daily driving he has put a conserving message out at least once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:27 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
MY514 wrote:
I saw a while ago Top Gear got into trouble for running into a tree or knocking it down or something like that.... and they had to pay compo to the owner of the property because the tree was "an old tree"

Yeah, they mentioned that too. They drove into a tree 30 times.

I can't believe I forgot to link to the article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4432279.stm

My favourite bit there is how they're trying to blame the fall of Rover on Top Gear's derogatory reviews, instead of the fact that Rover makes steaming piles of shit that only the deranged would want to buy.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:55 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
this is up there with those wanker push bike riders you see in traffic with the 'one less car' stickers on their helmets,dawdling along in the middle of peak hour traffic,causing chaos and deluding themselves that they're making a difference to the environment and some form of political statement.

here's an idea: let's line up some greenies on the track and have a motorkhana!

as for the anti-female thing,that's just bollocks. I have a clip here locally of that same female presenter flogging tiff in a race between an old audi quattro and the evo lancer that she was piloting. that's sexist I guess? the girl winning a race against a male driver. :roll:

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:50 am 
Twin T78

fergo308 wrote:
here's an idea: let's line up some greenies on the track and have a motorkhana!

Justin...

Can I wear a blindfold?? :P

That's what she said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:01 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
hell,why not? I plan to be sitting astride my driver's door drifting my way around and waving to the crowd...

Justin...