It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS Tracking
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:19 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Quote:
The next time a teenager thinks about doing something in a car they don't want their parents to know about, they may have to think twice.

Someone maybe watching.

Big Brother takes many forms in the car tracking market, from the concerned parent or the security conscious car owner to small road transport fleet operators or even the suspicious wife or husband.

The Australian-made systems are self-monitoring units and the owner is alerted when the car is broken into and goes over a pre-determined speed.

Read the rest of the Article on CarsGuide.

As for the last paragraph:

Quote:
Is it fair to install a GPS tracking system on your teenager's car? We'd like to know. Simply fill in the form below and we'll publish the best entries in The Daily Telegraph and on carsguide.com.au.

If you do write in, try to be mature about it and not do your best impression of an NS.com "omg 1 just g0t puled ova by da filf coz 0f my 22" chromies and 2mm reid hite. fucken pigs~@!`1`" post, or otherwise you're just feeding their bias.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:29 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

And here's my reply (which I doubt they'll post due to the length)

Quote:
Firstly, I'd like to know why you limit your feedback to "teenagers" and not all private citizens. Why single them out, when it can also be used to check up on your partner?

For commercial use I'm all for using these devices for surveillance. The vehicle is a company asset and they have a right to know where their property is and how it is being used.

For private use, I think its despicable. The only people electronically monitored in this country are criminals (or suspected criminals if a court of law sees fit to monitor them), yet we're doing it to kids with no grounds for suspicion. We're telling teenagers that they're approaching adulthood we're trusting them to be mature and responsible, yet by our very actions we're proving to them that we're not. How can you expect a young adult to respect you if you don't reciprocate?

If you don't think your child is responsible enough to drive without someone watching over their shoulder, the more pertinent question is if you think they should be allowed to drive at all. Or maybe we should start sending minders into polling booths to ensure they're voting correctly as well, since we have so little regard for their own free will.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:48 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
you KNOW that will be ignored.

that answer isnt what they are looking for, not when they are just after some way for the media to single out teenage drivers again.

then again, if it gets printed, good for you :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:39 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: machine
Hey mate,

That's a very good response towards people like me Scathing. I am a teenager and didn't think many adults regarded this issue as disrespectful. I know one comment from an individual does not classify this as 'many people', but i just think that if Scathing has a point of view it is highly contagious has I've seen in other threads. I partial believe this is kind of an intrusion of a person's life, but this is from my point of view. I also try to empathize on what a parent's perspective will be. It would seem as they have massive control over their child now but they disregard that it is disrespectful treating teens as if we're on big brother without agreed contract.

When you do the Learner's test, this is the first step towards learning to drive solo, by doing these hours you should have proven to your parent who is in the car with you that you able to drive at a proficient level. Once you pass this and attain your P's, I should think that you're parents are convinced you can drive correctly and safely. Now the parent is given a choice, give your child access of your car keys or not. If a parent trusts that their child will drive safely, there should be none of this GPS shit put in the car to monitor your child, simply do NOT give your child the keys alternatively.

By choosing to not give your dickhead child the keys saves the effort of the police from pulling your dickhead son/daughter for potentially harmfull+illegal drifts/burnouts in the future. Put your dickhead child in isolation if he is a hoon, because surely GPS will not stop him from doing a spontaneous drift/burnout.

How are you sure if your child is a hoon? Well, you've raised it for 17years, if you don't know how to judge if your child's roadworthy, then sorry, because I don't know who can.

I couldn't care less if Scathing's opinion isn't selected to be posted. It's well thought out and I'm glad I had a read.

Good work mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:40 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

zei20l wrote:
you KNOW that will be ignored.

Maybe I should chew on a bar of soap instead, and start screaming about how these things don't go far enough and how they should be hooked up to a speed limiter and people shouldn't be able to get a license until they're 25 and why won't people think about the children?

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:43 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

I was going to write a full "open letter" style one instead, which would have run 2-3 times as long, but I figure the average attention span of someone who works for News Interactive (a company that brings us the journalistically impressive Daily Telegraph) wouldn't get them past the "Dear sir / madam, teenage drivers should be accorded some respect because...." before they skip to some old fuck who's too senile to remember their own youth, and starts bagging kids for doing shit no more dangerous than when they were young.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:07 pm 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
it might have something to do which the company themselves is also doing...

http://www.ezitrak.com.au/Driver_Monitoring.htm

also, if the parents install it on their kids car, and then they r speeding, the parents call the kid on the mobile, the kid answers the phone and drives at same time and has an accident - very smart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:10 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
nah just connect it to contacts on the steering wheel and shock them good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:24 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Quote:
SPEED KILLS, especially our Teenagers.......

Yes, because older people have a natural resistance to the effects of momentum, and what happens when it rapidly changes.

:roll:

As for remotely disabling the vehicle, if they're in traffic and you just cut ignition they'll might get hit from behind by another driver, possibly running them off the road and into a telegraph pole, and with the loss of vacuum-assisted brakes and power steering your novice driver is not going to be able to control the car or bring it to a quick halt.

If they're driving at ludicrous speed down some windy country road, and you cut power on them mid-corner, chances are that sudden change in torque to the drive wheels (and possibly the unintended weight shift as the car stops loading the rears under acceleration) has a good chance of flinging them off the road.

Not that the parents or company would take responsibility or even realise its their fault when these things happen, even though our teenage drivers were perfectly fine and well in control of the situation up until some idiot with no idea of the situation decided to intervene.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:31 pm 
T78

Car: S14a, Euro Accord Lux
that ezi trak website looks so unprofessional and you can see they are looking for every excuse to sell that crap.
Immobolise the car temporarily?
what if you set the speed limit to 100 and your kid happens to take the M5 and goes 110, then it will cut off and cause accidents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:40 pm 
Quad T88

Car: *insert car here*
fwost has a point..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:19 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

They device doesn't cut power to the car without human intervention.

If the vehicle exceeds the speed limit then a call / SMS is sent to a certain number. The person on the other end (either a monitoring company or an individual) can then send a command to kill ignition in the car.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:25 am 
T66 Hybrid

Car: Subaru Vortex XT Turbo
well that sounds dangerous as all fuck!

-- DumHed