Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tsunami in asia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:36 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 2 x silvia, mountain bike
I dunno about everyone else but have you guys noticed how the media hasnt published that much of the tsunami disaster that happend in the asian countries.

I mean i remember when we had the 911 happen and about 3000 ppl died. It was non stop news coverage. When thredbo landslide happend 18 ppl were killed and nono stop news coverage. I mean even when diana died it was non stop.

I wanna know why theyre not doing the same when over 60,000 ppl have died?

just my thoughts venting out hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:20 pm 
Quad T66

Car: Cefiro coming
Couldn't agree more. I saw an interview where all the reporter wanted to do was ask if it could happen to Australia, to which the expert attempted to make very clear was very low risk. Time to get over the Western world and help these people. We'll see how much the US is willing to do to help when poorer countries with no oil to offer are in trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:23 pm 
T78

Car: S14a, Euro Accord Lux
Yeah seems like they only care about Aussies.
The count is now up to 70,000 but then again is that true? or is each channel trying to beat each other at the death counts by throwing random numbers to get more ratings?
Anywhoo back to the topic, they seem to be showing more concern for the how many aussies deaD? and how many missing?
opposed to the ~70,000 others dead.
They do anything for ratings.

(off topic, same as p platers thing isn't it. Bloody what ever happened to the code of ethics.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:59 pm 
T66 Hybrid

I disagree about with your assertion that the media hasn't given much coverage to the tsunami affected countries. Under the circumstances I think they have actually done a lot.

Disclaimer: I work in the industry. I was working in a Newsroom on Sunday afternoon and was one of the first people in this country to hear about the quake and Tsunami, as well as to see initial footage come in via satellite. I will try to answer some of your questions.

The events you mention all happened pretty much in one location and were easy to get to and/or had major media infrastructures in the vicinity and are rich countries. A lot of infrastructure in the tsunami-affected countries was wiped out or is still unworkable days after the event.

For instance, in the case of the twin towers, we were able to watch the second plane hit live on air and both towers collapse because CNN simply had to turn their New York camera around and point it out the window. ABC, Channel 10 and Channel 7 just put CNN straight to air. Other major media organisations in New York were able to cover it without much more effort and I think Channel 9 just crossed to CBS or ABC America. Channel 7 also went live to NBC which was on air with the Today show in New York.

First News of the quake started to come through around 3pm Sunday (Boxing Day) afternoon and identified it as a magnitude 6.5. First tsunami news came through a couple of hours later. First satellite footage (poor quality and unspectacular) arrived around 6.15. This was too late for commercial TV who could only produce a short live read about it. The ABC was able to produce a short story with pictures to lead the 7pm News.

No newsroom in the world was staffed to cover an event like this on the day after Christmas but Newspapers still did a reasonable coverage on Monday morning with the scant information available, despite the Daily Telegraph being stuck with a contractually obliged wraparound cover of the Sydney Hobart yacht race.

It takes time to get journalists, cameramen and satellite equipment to those locations. They are usually dependant on military transport which is otherwise pre-occupied.

3 Days later, we are just receiving the first pictures from some places and still have no pictures from others. These are places where there is poor infrastructure at the best of times and where, in the case of Aceh, the Indonesian government kept media representatives out due to an active rebellion in the province.

Since Sunday, I have seen extra TV News bulletins and normal bulletins that are 2/3 about the tsunami and aftermath. Hundreds of media staff have arrived in the affected countries but struggle with lack of power, food, accomodation and transport. The governments have a priority to helping their people, not foreign journalists.

I worked on the blanket coverage for 9/11, Thredbo, Various bushfire emergencies, wars and other events. They are expensive and difficult to maintain. Apart from the initial incident, new information tends to come through slowly and blanket coverage starts to turn off more viewers than it attracts.

I hope this long response answers some of your questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:28 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: S14A
I don't get all these stupid English snobs, im mean yeah they've been in a tsunami but they've escaped with only minor cuts and bruses, they keep asking for a plane to be sent out to collect them (which i think has been done now actually) but either they are incredibly selfish or totally unaware of the scope of the desaster, as they are not the people in greatest need of help at the current time.

Bloody toffs.

You see footage of all the kind people in asia carrying weterners around with maybe a sprained ankle for example.

Yes i feel sorry for everybody involve but really why should any of them be treated specially when other people who's home is the country affected and are in a worse state should be given second priority. :evil:

Also the BBC are doing a specail at 7:30 tonight about the story of the great wave... Seems very disrespectful to me, not the idea but the fact that how can they tell the story of the great wave when it is still unfolding in real life? :roll: thats money and ratings related.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:07 am 
Twin T51

banzai: thanks for that, it seems like maybe they havent got enough footage to go on initially. I did notice on the cable channels there were more coverage of the event.

They are predicting over 100,000 ppl to be killed in this. I can just imagine how many more if diseases spread out.

I think it was fiji that got hit awhile ago and australia sent ppl to help them out so that disease doesnt spread once the bodies surfaced.

Either way its not good. makes you wonder if this world is falling apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:47 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
im with banzai, no one can say that there wasnt much media coverage about it. i remember changing channel and something like ch9 or 10 had CNN live on it stopping their regular broadcasts to show it.

the world have been falling apart for years :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:38 pm 
TO4

im with you all, i think the media has done an excellent effort to show that much coverage in the poorest regions of the province, and understanding the rebellion there. Journalism is a totally different thing, not many people know how hard it is to get there, show it, and how traumitising and stressful it is. THE THING THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF, is that indonesia said it was a disaster zone and called for help from the commonwealth. THE HEAD OF THE COMMONWEALTH; ENGLAND, has only donated 300,000 POUNDS, compared to australia's $25m and USA $45m , now i think that is just outrageous, bloody figureheads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:41 pm 
Twin T51

ya it looks like theres quite a bit on the coverage now, which is really good cus its such a sad thing and i know some of u might find it boring but for me i wanna know whats going on. So as said by banzai i think its pretty true about not having enough footage or lines of communication that initially we didnt get enough coverage.

I also think that the commonwealth countries will probably helpout more but it might need to go through the right channels. If im right the US only said they will give support and didnt give a fixed amount initially but now they have said they will give 45mil. So it might be a similar thing with the other countries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:57 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I reckon we have plenty of coverage of this incident atm,we certainly don't need anymore. I don't know about you guys,but I don't see how watching broadcasts about it constantly helps the situation any.
it's not like anyone doesn't know what's happened now,I think the programming can be safely scaled back now without it offending anyone.

I also have to admit that I find it morbidly amusing that indonesia and various others are happy to receive our help with this natural disaster yet were recently very quick to question and even slander our foreign policy and threaten holy war and god knows what else when things were ok.
as soon as they had a problem though,they forgot all of that,and are happy to receive our military assistance,and our millions of dollars in aid...

yeah,we're really the war mongers of the pacific aren't we? we had hercules' there very quickly packed with supplies and people to assist,and have ships on the way now to reinforce that support.... you have to wonder sometimes...

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:01 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: S14A
FST180 wrote:
im with you all, i think the media has done an excellent effort to show that much coverage in the poorest regions of the province, and understanding the rebellion there. Journalism is a totally different thing, not many people know how hard it is to get there, show it, and how traumitising and stressful it is. THE THING THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF, is that indonesia said it was a disaster zone and called for help from the commonwealth. THE HEAD OF THE COMMONWEALTH; ENGLAND, has only donated 300,000 POUNDS, compared to australia's $25m and USA $45m , now i think that is just outrageous, bloody figureheads.

Oi :wink:

From the BBC:
'On Wednesday, the UK government pledged £15m ($29m) to help the first phase of the relief effort - making Britain the second largest donor after the US'

there are a number of charities too, gave £50 to actionaid... But now my engines going spac and i need all the money i can get lol why does it always happen after you've given your money away :roll:

Still engine can wait and ill give a bit more when i get paid again

76,000+ dead now :(

EDIT: Ocean disaster toll hits 114,000