Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bathurst
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:58 pm 
T51

Car: s15
Whos sick of watching the same shit over and over again on Bathurst? :x

its so outdated now, a 2 car race and both 4 doors? ford or holden or holden or ford, real exciting :-?

the race doesnt represent the new age car enthusiasts , just look at the roads these days how many done up commo/falcons do u see driven by young drivers these days? they arent popular any more especially 4 doors, they peaked out in the mid 90's and since then people prefer indivuality, cars with character not the old taxi with flares.

its time bathurst grew up and changed the rules back to include all performance cars on the street unless there scared of something ( the return of the early 90s gtr scare :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:03 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
hahah are you kidding? they will get whipped!! there is no way something faster than brockie's commodore will be allowed to race lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:14 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Gazelle - CA20E
Bathurst is part of Austrtalian history. Its a race thats watched internationaly and almost stops every car enthusiest in Oz!

I agree putting a couple of new cars might be interesting, but thats why there are classes of race types and vehicles. Perhaps instead of saying Bathurst is boring, maybe we need to make a jap import series? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:49 pm 
Quad T04

Car: GTI
bring on the AGTC :wink:

also click

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:09 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
we need some toyota and nissan V8's to run at the mountain, high tech 4.0 and 4.1L Jap V8's to balance things out a bit.

Even WITH some variation, the holden teams always have the unfair advantage applied, AND then the other teams are restricted to ensure an easier path to victory for holden..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:15 pm 
T51

Car: s15
no not an import series but an all in gtc event, make the race internationally respected not the taxi cab races it is now. times are changing fast and most youth/performance car market is ever expnading into alternative vehicles unlike up to early 90's when most performance drivers were either ford or holden drivers, just seems so yesterday that ford v holden thing is not what it used to be and will get worse, most youngsters idolise gtrs and supras these days not the family hack with a v8 up front.
the rules also exlude the new holden/ford cars as well and even up and coming ones and new ozy manufacturers eg new torana v6 twin turbo if it gets the go, the monaro 2 door , the joss super car etc etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:57 pm 
Twin T78

Dieselsx wrote:
the rules also exlude the new holden/ford cars as well and even up and coming ones and new ozy manufacturers eg new torana v6 twin turbo if it gets the go, the monaro 2 door , the joss super car etc etc

NIIIIIIICE!!!! cept the joss, that thing is SEXY!!! all it needs is 2 snails...

or an SR? :P

That's what she said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:04 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
the v8 supercar series has been less than interesting for me for several years. so much so that I couldn't even tell you who drives in it anymore.
the racing wasn't especially exciting,the cars aren't exceptionally fast,and when it comes to the 1000km race,it's all down to who can drive the most conservatively,last the distance and then win. it's a war of attrition,not a race to see who's fastest.
if I wanted to pay money to see people go easy on cars I'd go for test drives out of dealerships...

the skyline GTRs were a real wake up call for the local product. it was plainly obvious that they were decades behind as far as technology was concerned,and they had no hope whatsoever of winning bar a nissan suffering a mechanical failure. the sierras gave ford places on the podium,but holden had nothing to fight with.

when the series was rationalised in '93 the good old boys were in their element,and still are to this day. the series is a huge earner for ford and holden when it comes to sales of vehicles and merchandise (ever priced an HRT jacket?),so they will be in no rush to have their cashcow hobbled.
as long as the public think that they have the only 'real' race cars,the 'big two' will just keep on pulling in the money and laughing all the way to the bank.

GTP was a fantastic idea in theory. we had real cars with only minor modification,rubbing door handles and it was pretty much anyone's race on any track.
the problem with it was a lack of exposure and not enough sponsorship to keep it going. it's simply too expensive for the teams to get to every meeting and keep their cars competitive. if they had half the money that's sunk into the v8's we'd have a cracker of a formula,and it would be seriously competing with the v8's for spectators and merchandise cash.
instead,they promoted the nations cup,which people didn't really find relevant to them (how many of us own lamborghinis?) and left the series that would appeal to the common fan,GTP as the backup event. that mindset is a good part of why the whole thing went broke IMHO.

if we want to have modern,relevant and exciting racing on tv in this country,we need to start voting with our wallets,and start promoting racing like GTP and excluding the v8 series as much as possible. if the fans stop buying the flags and jackets and stop paying the ticket fees to get in and watch the v8 supercar events,maybe they'll revise the formula...

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:14 pm 
T88

Car: Jap Spec S15
anyone see the Roo get hit? damn that was some nasty shit...caused alotta damage to the car as well....as for my opinion, I say hell yeah to allowing other V8's in the comp...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:55 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
i didnt watch the race, but i got photos and a video of skippy going for a ride on the commo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:24 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
zei20l wrote:
i didnt watch the race, but i got photos and a video of skippy going for a ride on the commo

more like a flight, it got pretty airborne !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:51 pm 
T28

Let me first say that I am a big fan of most motorsport from all over the world, but for the purpose of my response will offer my opinion based mostly on the V8’s. I have been a big fan of the V8’s for years, and keep up to date with most of the activities of the series including attentively watching the annual bathurst 100km race.

I like most can say bad things about the series, particularly the bogun audience that it seems to attract which though are a minority really do spoil it for those who just want to appreciate the series. Further more I feel that AVESCO have a monopoly on the series which makes it difficult for other series to be competitive or even other makers to join the series.

However after reading the mostly negative opinion of the series I thought it be timely that I would reply with what I and many others love about the series, not so that I can change your opinion, but maybe tell you a few things about the series as you do mention below that you have not much interest in the series and are not up to date with it, so maybe I could take this opportunity to tell you a bit about it from my point of view.

>>the racing wasn't especially exciting,the cars aren't exceptionally fast,and when it comes to the 1000km race,it's >>all down to who can drive the most conservatively,last the distance and then win. it's a war of attrition,not a race >>to see who's fastest.
These days they run the cars flat right from the very start of the race. It’s basically a 1000km sprint race these days, with as much risk taking and hard on the limit driving as ever before. See the fact that race lap records are set for the race quite often even at the very end. Also note how close the lap times are the qualifying times these days. This years race was actually quite low on attrition. Cars exit the event not so much from failure these days, but more so from race incidents such as I stated above from the risk taking, fast paced race, and remember Bathurst is an unforgiving place.

Also to note of topic slightly, the series is actually trying to slow the cars down a bit. They are fast enough, hence the big thing at this years Bathurst was the low diff ratio for Bathurst to try and slow them down a little. It just meant that cars would be bouncing of the 7500 rev limiter for a decent amount of time down conrod straight. This quickly bacame a test to see who would get the rev limiter the quickest. Actually even up mountain straight, some of the higher powered cars were hitting the rev limiter. They are expecting to reduce a few other things to slow them down a little as well in the near future.

>>if I wanted to pay money to see people go easy on cars I'd go for test drives out of dealerships...
As I say above they go hard or go home. Being up on two wheels on parts of the circuit and flat through the chase at 293km/h is hardly an easy drive.

>>the skyline GTRs were a real wake up call for the local product. it was plainly obvious that they were decades >>behind as far as technology was concerned,and they had no hope whatsoever of winning bar a nissan suffering a >>mechanical failure. the sierras gave ford places on the podium, but holden had nothing to fight with.
Yes this is true, and is when my love for the Nissan product began. At the same time the series was dwindling, so the series was scrapped and simplified, unfortunately at the cost of having some kick arse race cars. In the end it seems to have been worth it as from a spectator point of view the series is very close, it’s has modelled on a platform similar to that of Nascar, and though I care not much for that series, it to is very close in racing. Anyway my point being is that the V8C is a successful series.

Aside from this, the cost of the sport was going out of control. Another reason to simplify it, and make it go back to a close racing, but have two makes in it, to keep the majority of the fans happy and not have simply a one make series. Having a common platform of parts along with a number of other things was the gamble at the time to try and make the sport available to more people, and keep the cost to a more sane level, but only look now at the number of teams that are in the series.

>>The series is a huge earner for ford and holden when it comes to sales of vehicles and merchandise. Yes this is true, but what is wrong with that? Don’t tell me other forms of motor sport with other manufacturers don’t try and sell cars based on a form of motor sport and that cars success in that series. Are the Evo Lancer ads just an illusion to me?

(ever priced an HRT jacket?),so they will be in no rush to have their cashcow hobbled. I don’t agree. I have a number of FPV merchandise which was reasonably priced. I bought a very nice FPV jumper for approx $70, and a nice collared shirt for about the same price. My plastic Nissan jacket was $149, and my Nissan embrodied shirt was $55, just as a basic comparison.

>>GTP was a fantastic idea in theory. we had real cars with only minor modification,rubbing door handles and it was >>pretty much anyone's race on any track.
Totally, which is why I love(d) the series. And this is how it was years ago with GT falcons, mixing it with a lot of other makes, as opposed to the V8 are which just a silhouette touring car category is. Actually are they even really touring cars these days. I don’t think, so, the GTP’s should have that title IMHO, but for the sake of the series, it is still seen as touring car racing as far as I know.

Anyway, just to sum up, I love and enjoy the V8 series of racing, its close action packed, well documented and televised, popular, and ever expanding. There are a good number of teams, and the race to win the championship has and will be a nail biter right to the very end. It’s colourful and has a good mix of racing such as short sprints medium and long distance races, it’s local and accessible, and ignites a lot of passion between the rival teams and their supporters which YES unfortunately also means the boguns to.

Despite the perceived low technology of the series, I love the high tech gadgets, as IMHO the design of the engine may be low technology, but the execution of that design is as high tech as you would expect. Have you seen the material, and work they do to the engines these days. Yes by design they are and old engine, but dag nammit they try and get their hands on every little bit of high tech material and design into that engine as they can get, again to the point where they are introducing more restriction to try and kerb the power of them.

Just look at the interest from over seas fans and now teams who are using their rally and F1 resources to put cars together. A lot of technology is used to make an old cheap design work very well. They do have a good technology base in their cars, just that the perception of some vocal people who preach their view of the low technology of the series will condition you to believe otherwise.

Anyway I hope I have shown that I can critique the series from both a good and bad point of view. Now don’t get me started on the missed GTP series, that I loved.

DANSSS -Proud owner of a Nissan Pulsar SSS and a Nissan S15 200SX :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:18 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
nice reply Dan. I'll be happy to discuss it further in person the next run I see you on.
I think the thread has done it's dash here...

Justin...