Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Howard won
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:32 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
its one thing to win, its another thing to use scare tactics to make people think that interest rates are going to rise simply because of labours track record... pity most people dont even realise its the RBA that controls interest rates and that howards government had nothing to do with the interest rates that were seeing right now

looks like telstra is getting sold too :roll:
end rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:38 pm 
T66 Hybrid

The reserve bank may "control" interest rates, but they are heavily influenced by government policies.

For example: The government wants to raise tens of billions of dollars for a major program. It is funded by either taxes or borrowing. Taxes are direct but unpopular. Borrowing is indirect but will affect the national accounts and has to be paid with interest. This causes an interest rate rise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:01 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: N14 Pulsar Q SR20DET
but if the government is preoccupied with doing what they can to keep interest rates low then everything else is going to suffer.

and mind you, i want higher interest rates, i want to be able to afford a house some day before they all cost >$1m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:47 pm 
Twin T04

Car: 92 Silvia Q, 93 180sx
banzai wrote:
The reserve bank may "control" interest rates, but they are heavily influenced by government policies.

True, but the top 14 economists said intrest rates would be the same under any gov.

Interest rates only were high under the labor gov because their time in office conicided with an economic downswing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:20 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
What's even worse than them winning in the lower house is the fact that they picked up more seats in the senate as well.

Which means it'll be even easier for that stunted little liar to push his policies through.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:09 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
I'm with Scathing.

It's not so bad that the Libs got back in but how the fuck can people be so stupid that they vote away their last line of defence against grossly biased policy? Atleast by voting Green or Democrat (or Family First) in the Senate you have a chance of regulation of policies like the full sale of Telstra or reforms of the unfair dismissal laws (not necessarily a bad thing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:17 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Well, those knob-ends at Family First direct most of their preferences to Liberal (aside from the few seats where the Liberal candidate either supported same-sex marriages, or actually was a lesbian) so it made no difference.

Its just fucking stupid. People look back and wonder at how Hitler managed to get so much power, and shake their heads at the German population who let it happened, yet 60 years on most of the plebs in this country haven't learnt the lesson of a keeping balanced democracy.

Instead, like those Germans, the biggest minority of Australians decided to let their own financial hardships, exacerbated by scare tactics and outright lies, blind them to doing the right thing and ensuring that there are checks and balances in our governmental system.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:44 pm 
Twin T88

Car: S15 Spec R
i voted for him, although i knew i should have voted for cheaper beer and petrol excise group

Last edited by plaYboY on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:17 pm 
Twin T04

Agreed. The libs with control of the sentate and house of reps is a big problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:25 pm 
Quad T88

Car: My Feet
I will leave this thread here, as it is still civil, but religion and politics should not ever be discussed, it just causes problems even though that was never the intention.

What we should be saying is HOLDEN is KING of the mountain again, woohooo, or go the Aussies, whooped India's arse in the cricket.
5-1 to the Socceroos, in 40degree weather.
Schuey got another under his belt, and Webber DNF again, one race closer to his time or reckoning.
Get my drift......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:32 pm 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
you should of all voted for that "legalisation of marijuana" party

eheheh

as i can see, they are the only "party" to be considered a REAL "party"

get it? - ok im bored lame joke ehehe

lock the thread mys15t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:37 am 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
Quote:
Agreed. The libs with control of the sentate and house of reps is a big problem.

A mate at work doesn't think it's so bad a thing, he hates howard (i'm not fan either) but reckons if he can push through whatever he wants for the next few years unopposed people might start to see what sort of government they really have and get rid of him next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:16 am 
Twin T04

Yes it can be a pretty big benifit as rapid restructuring can occur and some good policies can be pushed through to promote growth (I think labor was in the same situation 60's-70s?) However there prolly will be a fair bit of structural unemployment as the markets adjust, admitidly a short term problem but still not the best thing.

But the risk is that these changes which the libs want can backfire in a huge way. In this situation sometimes not a heap of rationalising/thinking/testing/fine tuning (6mnths as opposed to 2yrs+) happens and as a consequence it turns into a giant fuck up.

It has benifits, but in my opinion the overall risk aint worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:46 pm 
T51

Car: s15
im so tired of seeing holden win again at bathurst, it really sucks.. i really wanted ford to win its time for a change... i think in another 5 years ford will be on top again there on the right track now with there fpv vehicles they still have some work to do but younger drivers are now starting to take notice again as they did in 70's..finally
i think fords new fpvs look good.... and im not loyal, used to like fords but then had a commo during 90's cause fords were so crap ass back then but now they are looking good again...but now im all for jap tubros

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:53 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
its one thing for him to be in power again, its another that he has majority in senate as well... im not going to be happy if he retires and costello takes up his place, i mean a hillsong boy with majority of seats in senate ?! i can only imagine what hes going to do...

not to mention foreign policy with howard, if bush is relected as well i can only guess there going to look for support from us to invade the next 'terrorist' nation